Author Topic: setlists for Nov tour  (Read 9203 times)

Offline Luzita

• Intellectual Tortoise
Re: setlists for Nov tour
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2019, 08:31:55 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I have no real interest in the innocence and experience albums so can take or leave that although perhaps they sound good live so wont complain if they play a couple.  I hope they play New Years day, Wild horses, the Fly maybe even Shes a Mystery to me!  Really I will enjoy whatever they play as I have never seen them live so fully intend to enjoy the whole experience!
How wonderful youíre finally going to see them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline summerholly

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2019, 08:31:42 PM »
I have no real interest in the innocence and experience albums so can take or leave that although perhaps they sound good live so wont complain if they play a couple.  I hope they play New Years day, Wild horses, the Fly maybe even Shes a Mystery to me!  Really I will enjoy whatever they play as I have never seen them live so fully intend to enjoy the whole experience!
How wonderful youíre finally going to see them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes after all these years I got my act together!  My sister has seen most of their Aussie tours but will still keen to see them again so she managed to get some awesome tickets.  So now I just have to get myself there regardless of what work commitments present themselves at the time!

Offline habib2343

• Wanderer
« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2019, 01:46:36 PM »
They must have started or looking to start rehearsals soon ....i hope we get some further deep cuts that haven't shown up over the last 3 tours....maybe walk to the water...

I actually think - the book of your heart would be good as walk on music for the band as opposed to using other bands material....

Offline jgrooms

• Stateless
  • Hello
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2019, 11:53:38 AM »
Picking songs is only a small fraction of what decides the set list.  Each song has to have the production designed behind it which takes people, time and money.  Considering the JT 2019 tour is mainly a money grab I find it highly unlikely you will see significant changes from the 2017 set list since all the production work will be re-used.

Offline Billy Rhythm

• Wanderer
« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2019, 08:11:02 AM »
the JT 2019 tour is mainly a money grab
I don't see it as "a money grab"...  the gross won't be astronomical and the cost of staging it staggering...  they'll tack the totals onto the 2017 tour to make it look a lot better than it really is...  it's a lot of countries to pack into, what?  six week gig...  I see it more as a "fan service" to an often overlooked demographic for long overdue personal touch...

reusing the excellent films, stage setup and song selection not only makes sense financially but is the right call artistically, in my opinion...:-)

Offline d.darroch

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2019, 06:50:28 PM »
reusing the excellent films, stage setup and song selection not only makes sense financially but is the right call artistically, in my opinion...:-)

Until Mothers of the Disappeared at least. After that I think things lost their way a bit, & could be improved upon.

Offline amkel

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2019, 01:21:28 PM »
30 days until Auckland. Although I expect the set list to be much the same as 2017 I hope we get a decent mix of the IE and EI songs. 

Actually just realised the first Auckland concert is 30 years to the day since my first U2 concert. Might just have to dust off my old Lovetown T-shirt for the occasion
« Last Edit: October 12, 2019, 01:32:51 PM by amkel »

Offline superstar905

• Stateless
« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2019, 08:23:38 PM »
SOI and SOE songs are amazing live.   You guys will love them.

Offline 64ac30

• Refugee
« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2019, 02:18:47 AM »
Honestly, Iím expecting the 2017 set list minus Ultraviolet, best thing and Sarajevo. Add in Get out your Way and Love is Bigger (before of after one as concert closer). 0 innocence songs. Add in mysterious ways and all I want is you.

Offline 64ac30

• Refugee
« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2019, 02:23:54 AM »

What is everyone expecting about SOI? Do you really think theyíll play Cedarwood Road or Iris 😂. The only songs that ever have a chance of being heard again are Miracle, EBW, and SFS. The rest are gone. And these 3 are out of place for JT19.

Offline Billy Rhythm

• Wanderer
« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2019, 10:19:45 AM »

What is everyone expecting about SOI? Do you really think theyíll play Cedarwood Road or Iris 😂. The only songs that ever have a chance of being heard again are Miracle, EBW, and SFS. The rest are gone. And these 3 are out of place for JT19.

the band had dropped ALL 'Innocence' songs by the end of the 'e+i' tour...  the album is a blemish on their remarkable body of work and should be squelched for good, in my opinion...  if they couldn't see to even one of those songs making the final sets for a tour with "iNNOCENCE' in its actual billing then I don't see how they'd justify unearthing any of them for 'The Joshua Tree'...  sure there are some fans where 'Every Breaking Wave' would be high on their wishlist but how many of those would be blown away by the weak piano/vocal rendition that's been delivered by them live so far?...  'October' would be a far more effective piano/vocal showcase for 'The Joshua Tree'...  if you're gonna pull out 'The Best Thing About Me' then go back to doing it full band as well, the acoustic version just doesn't grip a stadium setting...  especially when it's showcased later on after the intermission when the crowd is expecting to go out on a high note...  if Bono needs to rest his voice so soon after they just had a break then he should consider retiring...

they need not tweak the set too much from opening night in Vancouver...  even the encore sequence doesn't need a whole lot of tinkering, in my opinion...  stick 'Walk On' in there instead of 'Elevation', or say 'Stuck In The Moment'...  ending with 'The Little Things That Give You Away' was excellent but perhaps wouldn't have the same lustre for it was never played before, so how about ending with another great new song? (that's if one is ready)Ö  'MLK' has not been performed live since Vancouver 2017 and I think they should slot it back in again before 'Pride (In The Name of Love)' for it makes that song's punch in much more effective (a nice flashback to Amnesty International 1986)...  other than maybe playing 'The Unforgettable Fire' in place of 'A Sort of Homecoming'/'Bad' on some nights, they really don't need to remake what all ready worked so well in 2017, it's just time to share it with the rest of the world, that's all...:-)

Offline cocamojoe

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2019, 10:41:20 PM »
Na, MLK seques far better into Streets than Pride on any day of the week.

the band had dropped ALL 'Innocence' songs by the end of the 'e+i' tour...  the album is a blemish on their remarkable body of work and should be squelched for good, in my opinion...  if they couldn't see to even one of those songs making the final sets for a tour with "iNNOCENCE' in its actual billing then I don't see how they'd justify unearthing any of them for 'The Joshua Tree'...  sure there are some fans where 'Every Breaking Wave' would be high on their wishlist but how many of those would be blown away by the weak piano/vocal rendition that's been delivered by them live so far?...  'October' would be a far more effective piano/vocal showcase for 'The Joshua Tree'...  if you're gonna pull out 'The Best Thing About Me' then go back to doing it full band as well, the acoustic version just doesn't grip a stadium setting...  especially when it's showcased later on after the intermission when the crowd is expecting to go out on a high note...  if Bono needs to rest his voice so soon after they just had a break then he should consider retiring...

they need not tweak the set too much from opening night in Vancouver...  even the encore sequence doesn't need a whole lot of tinkering, in my opinion...  stick 'Walk On' in there instead of 'Elevation', or say 'Stuck In The Moment'...  ending with 'The Little Things That Give You Away' was excellent but perhaps wouldn't have the same lustre for it was never played before, so how about ending with another great new song? (that's if one is ready)Ö  'MLK' has not been performed live since Vancouver 2017 and I think they should slot it back in again before 'Pride (In The Name of Love)' for it makes that song's punch in much more effective (a nice flashback to Amnesty International 1986)...  other than maybe playing 'The Unforgettable Fire' in place of 'A Sort of Homecoming'/'Bad' on some nights, they really don't need to remake what all ready worked so well in 2017, it's just time to share it with the rest of the world, that's all...:-)

Offline Billy Rhythm

• Wanderer
« Reply #42 on: October 30, 2019, 10:04:47 AM »
Na, MLK seques far better into Streets than Pride on any day of the week

'Where The Streets Have No Name' all ready sports a haunting intro and while 'MLK' may blend into it nicely, it doesn't accent the band kicking in any further than it all ready does, in my opinion...  it only succeeds in prolonging the entrance...  'MLK/Pride (In The Name of Love)' works perfectly together...  aside from the obvious lyrical content similarities, the band kicking in just as the ethereal lullaby closes stops one dead in their tracks and gives more power to an all ready powerful vocal performance from Bono...  'Where The Streets Have No Name' works far better as the segue after 'Pride (In The Name of Love)' ends while the crowd is still chanting the outro as was performed on opening night in Vancouver 2017...  Bono's "fear" and "justice" speech was quite effective during this performance because he finished it up before the entrance of 'Where The Streets Have No Name' began...  unfortunately, Bono chose to layer the speech overtop of the 'Where The Streets Have No Name's intro for virtually every performance after opening night...  not knocking the speech just the timing of it, for he literally kills "the moment" and should clam up during the excellent 'Where The Streets Have No Name' intro...  let the music speak for itself during "the moment" as he did on opening night in Vancouver...  'The Joshua Tree' intro is a moment that the band does an outstanding job of building toward with the 2017 setlists and Larry really should have a talk with Bono here...:-)

Offline cocamojoe

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #43 on: October 31, 2019, 11:10:24 AM »
Na, MLK seques far better into Streets than Pride on any day of the week

'Where The Streets Have No Name' all ready sports a haunting intro and while 'MLK' may blend into it nicely, it doesn't accent the band kicking in any further than it all ready does, in my opinion...  it only succeeds in prolonging the entrance...  'MLK/Pride (In The Name of Love)' works perfectly together...  aside from the obvious lyrical content similarities, the band kicking in just as the ethereal lullaby closes stops one dead in their tracks and gives more power to an all ready powerful vocal performance from Bono...  'Where The Streets Have No Name' works far better as the segue after 'Pride (In The Name of Love)' ends while the crowd is still chanting the outro as was performed on opening night in Vancouver 2017...  Bono's "fear" and "justice" speech was quite effective during this performance because he finished it up before the entrance of 'Where The Streets Have No Name' began...  unfortunately, Bono chose to layer the speech overtop of the 'Where The Streets Have No Name's intro for virtually every performance after opening night...  not knocking the speech just the timing of it, for he literally kills "the moment" and should clam up during the excellent 'Where The Streets Have No Name' intro...  let the music speak for itself during "the moment" as he did on opening night in Vancouver...  'The Joshua Tree' intro is a moment that the band does an outstanding job of building toward with the 2017 setlists and Larry really should have a talk with Bono here...:-)

Thatís partially why I donít like Pride into Streets. And, itís not only the JT17 tour, as he did the same sermonizing type thing on the Vertigo Tour, at least at my stop in Atlanta way back then (2005 or 2006).

For me, itís the synths that heíll blend the songs perfectly, and I love that MLK closes out the Unforgettable Fire album, while Streets opens JT, too! If listened to in sequence (I assume that most of us are nerd enough that weíve listened to all of their albums in sequential order at least once?), itís just a perfect bridge between those two albums!

Offline Billy Rhythm

• Wanderer
« Reply #44 on: October 31, 2019, 02:43:45 PM »
Thatís partially why I donít like Pride into Streets. And, itís not only the JT17 tour, as he did the same sermonizing type thing on the Vertigo Tour, at least at my stop in Atlanta way back then (2005 or 2006).

For me, itís the synths that heíll blend the songs perfectly, and I love that MLK closes out the Unforgettable Fire album, while Streets opens JT, too! If listened to in sequence (I assume that most of us are nerd enough that weíve listened to all of their albums in sequential order at least once?), itís just a perfect bridge between those two albums!
guess where I differ is that 'MLK/Pride (In The Name of Love)' is how they opened most 1986 shows inbetween the two albums which I, personally, see as the "perfect bridge"...  of note is that when I saw them perform in 1987, it was 'The Unforgettable Fire' that followed 'MLK' which also worked quite well together...:-)