Author Topic: setlists for Nov tour  (Read 1667 times)

Offline habib2343

• Wanderer
setlists for Nov tour
« on: June 26, 2019, 03:01:18 PM »
So the other side of the world have been blessed with the band playing live after being starved of life's pleasures since 2010. New lands will expereince the power of U2 live for the very first time....

Which brings me to the issue of what songs will the play in a 25 song set ? We can pretty much assume The Joshua tree will occupy slots between 5 and 16. So they will play the best of the rest like they did in 2017. However given I/E and E/I never made it over there, i hope they play some tunes from these fine albums in the set. I know the band have said songs from their recent output wouldn'f fit in a stadium setting but I respectfully disagreee. The Blackout is the stand out track for me and one that could serioiusly rock a stadium. Other songs that I feel could warrant an inclusion Love is Bigger, Get out of your own way, Lights of Home and Summer of Love. They've done best thing and little things on the JT 2017 tour so they could make a reapperance .

Now Songs of innocence. I think Invisible, Raised by Wolves, California, Iris, Every Breaking Wave or The Troubles could warrant an inclusion.

just hope its not a standard repeat of JT 2017 and will also contain one brand new song that give a hint to their future direction on Songs of Ascent...

Roll on November...

Offline d.darroch

• Party Girl/Boy
Re: setlists for Nov tour
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2019, 07:00:02 PM »
I hope you're right. It could go either way, a total rehash for areas that didn't experience JT 2017. Or something that incorporates the best of the two recent arena tours.

I'm hoping for the latter.

The following doesn't seem to be a popular view. But as it'll be after sunset at show time, I'd be happy for them to come out with Streets & hit JT straight off the bat. Sure, Streets is at it's best with a great segue, but it would be a different approach, & would give a nod to how the original JT shows usually began. More importantly, it would leave a lot more room later in the set for some SoI/SoE action, plus the usual other hits & a rarity or two. We could also really get a show of two halves. First the nostalgia of JT. Maybe an intermission along the lines of Love is All We Have Left, or not. Then straight into The Blackout. A total change from the set of songs before it! A great way to lead into a more modern set, highlighting the newer material.

I'm with you & think The Blackout could be amazing in a stadium. I do like Love is Bigger but was still surprised by how well it worked last year. So I could see them closing with that. I love Summer of Love, so hope it gets an acoustic slot. I really love Red Flag Day, so praying it gets another shot, though not expecting much, after it's sudden departure. I'd also hope that Acrobat makes it, as it was such a highlight of last year's tour. I think it's 50/50 of this will happen, at best.

I can't see then retaining too much of i+e, as it was a few years ago now. I hope they somehow work the Raised By Wolves/UTEOTW pairing in there, as it was such a highlight. I love The Troubles, but I think there's Buckley's chance, as it didn't even get a fair run on i+e.

Hopefully we get 24-26 song sets, not the 21-22 songs we've been seeing at times. As it's been so long since they've visited these shores, I think the crowds deserve a decent length set. But I'm not holding my breath, the fact that Noel is coming along for the ride may mean it's a short set again. I hope not!
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 07:22:33 PM by d.darroch »

Offline Drowning Fan

• Babyface
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2019, 07:18:59 PM »
My preferred JT2019 setlist keeping in mind some rarely played songs and hits to keep the casuals happy

New Years Day (St Francis Hotel Remix)
Two Hearts Beat as One
A Sort of Homecoming
Bad
TJT full album
UTEOW
Wild Horses
Gone
Please
Walk on
City of Blinding Lights
Raised By Wolves
Best Thing or Little Things

23 songs. I would love more but not expecting it.

Offline Drowning Fan

• Babyface
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2019, 07:21:21 PM »
Remember Asia/Australia also gets Red Hill for the first time and the return of Exit.

Offline d.darroch

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2019, 03:03:22 AM »
I've been playing this game on the setlist thread over on U2Start,
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I've thrown up a few quite out there setlists that will never happen.

A Lovetown setlist (focusing on JT & R&H), when I was hoping for a Lovetown 30 tour, not a rehashed JT 32 tour.

An Innocent night / Experience night setlist. The Innocence night being pre-AB, JT & SoI. The Experience night being JT, AB to NLOTH & SoE.

But I will post the setlist I described above. Starting with Streets, to make room for the most recent albums.

The Joshua Tree + i+e+i
1. Where the Streets Have No Name
2. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
3. With or Without You
4. Bullet the Blue Sky
5. Running to Stand Still
6. Red Hill Mining Town
7. In God's Country
8. Trip Through Your Wires
9. One Tree Hill
10. Exit
11. Mothers of the Disappeared

*** Intermission (Love Is All We Have Left) ***

12. The Blackout
13. Lights Of Home / Red Flag Day
14. Zoo Station
15. The Fly
16. Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
17. Desire / All I Want is You
18. Acrobat
19. Summer Of Love / Starting At The Sun
20. New Year's Day / A Sort Of Homecoming
21. Raised By Wolves
22. Until the End of the World

****** Encore ******

23. Beautiful Day / Vertigo
24. Gone / Bad
25. One
26. Love Is Bigger Than Anything in Its Way / The Little Things That Give You Away

As I said, starting with the nostalgia of JT, to make room for the highlights of i+e/e+i later in the show.  A short break (or intermission) after Mother's of the Disappeared. Ripping into The Blackout, which will totally change the mood of the concert! A slight nod to i+e with the pairing of RBW & UTEOTW, & Little Things. A tiny nod to Lovetown with AIWIY / Desire. Highlights of e+i with LIAWHL, The Blackout, Lights of Home / Red Flag Day, Zoo Station, The Fly, Horses, Acrobat, Summer of Love / Starting at the Sun, & Love is Bigger. Plus a few other hits thrown in the encore. Gone must be played at Sydney 1. The anniversary of Michael Hutchence death.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 03:25:30 AM by d.darroch »

Offline summerholly

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2019, 04:02:25 AM »
I have no real interest in the innocence and experience albums so can take or leave that although perhaps they sound good live so wont complain if they play a couple.  I hope they play New Years day, Wild horses, the Fly maybe even Shes a Mystery to me!  Really I will enjoy whatever they play as I have never seen them live so fully intend to enjoy the whole experience!

Offline jules

• Stateless
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2019, 08:50:51 AM »
My bet would be they'll play generally the same setlist as per the JT2017 tour... with GOOYOW or Best Thing thrown in

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2019, 09:51:31 AM »
I suspect it would be a mixed up list - they cant go to Asia and not play SOI/SOE material i wouldn't have thought

Offline Midnight is Where the Day Begins

• Genius of Compression
  • Oh it's time, it's time, it's IeTOUR time!!
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2019, 11:27:42 PM »
I would expect that they'd probably have to somehow merge songs from both tours together. It would seem weird to completely ignore SOI & SOE.

I liked the idea somebody had of doing the first half as the Joshua Tree, and then a constricted version of the Innocence and Experience tours after it.

Offline summerholly

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2019, 05:26:57 AM »
I would expect that they'd probably have to somehow merge songs from both tours together. It would seem weird to completely ignore SOI & SOE.

I liked the idea somebody had of doing the first half as the Joshua Tree, and then a constricted version of the Innocence and Experience tours after it.

Hope not but hey I will enjoy whatever comes my way!

Offline jgrooms

• Stateless
  • Hello
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2019, 11:39:10 AM »
I have no reason to believe it won't be the 2017 show with perhaps a few different songs swapped in.  Primarily the hits of the era (or before) and very doubtful any SOI/SOE songs.

Offline JaraSangASongAWeapon

• Party Girl/Boy
  • And the moon turned red over One Tree Hill
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2019, 09:55:00 PM »
Gonna be the same soup more or less as TJT 2017 with maybe a few songs subbed in as the tour goes along. I expect AIWIY and maybe some other Rattle and Hum material being the 30th anniversary of Lovetown. Not sure if SBS will open but I do expect them to lead into TJT with pre TJT material and after TJT, a mix of post TJT. One U2 fan friend thinks ASOH will open the show. That'd be amazing but doubt it. I'll see them in GA in Sydney both shows. And, I think Seoul will turn out to be the final U2 show ever.

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2019, 05:27:35 AM »
Gonna be the same soup more or less as TJT 2017 with maybe a few songs subbed in as the tour goes along. I expect AIWIY and maybe some other Rattle and Hum material being the 30th anniversary of Lovetown. Not sure if SBS will open but I do expect them to lead into TJT with pre TJT material and after TJT, a mix of post TJT. One U2 fan friend thinks ASOH will open the show. That'd be amazing but doubt it. I'll see them in GA in Sydney both shows. And, I think Seoul will turn out to be the final U2 show ever.

I've been there too on last shows - I'm less certain now but i do think there will be a long break after this.

Offline JaraSangASongAWeapon

• Party Girl/Boy
  • And the moon turned red over One Tree Hill
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2019, 05:38:18 PM »

I've been there too on last shows - I'm less certain now but i do think there will be a long break after this.

Agree on the long break, but where does the band go from here artistically? They could tour their greatest hits and not make any new music, and that'd be fine with Live Nation bean counters. I just don't see U2 making a new album after the slow gestation of SOI/SOE, and the deep biographical themes. They've done it all as artists.

Offline Catlithco

• Stateless
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2019, 09:52:15 AM »
I am sure that they might have their final concerts soon, but I don’t think they will have their final concert in Seoul.
I don’t think they will end the career outside of Dublin, or at least outside of Europe.