Author Topic: setlists for Nov tour  (Read 5062 times)

Offline habib2343

• Wanderer
Re: setlists for Nov tour
« Reply #45 on: November 03, 2019, 12:35:51 PM »
according to u2songs.com, it seems they are going down the ie/ei, jt +famous deep cut route which is logical given that side of the world didn't get to experience the innocence ( and experience) era.

i hope we will see the blackout ....that song was made to shake a stadium....

Offline scott7

• Stateless
  • and still we run, we run and don't look back
« Reply #46 on: November 03, 2019, 01:18:07 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Gonna be the same soup more or less as TJT 2017 with maybe a few songs subbed in as the tour goes along. I expect AIWIY and maybe some other Rattle and Hum material being the 30th anniversary of Lovetown. Not sure if SBS will open but I do expect them to lead into TJT with pre TJT material and after TJT, a mix of post TJT. One U2 fan friend thinks ASOH will open the show. That'd be amazing but doubt it. I'll see them in GA in Sydney both shows. And, I think Seoul will turn out to be the final U2 show ever.

If ASOH opens the show I will be so gutted I didn't push the boat out money wise and go.....

I've been there too on last shows - I'm less certain now but i do think there will be a long break after this.

Offline Billy Rhythm

• Wanderer
« Reply #47 on: November 03, 2019, 08:17:07 PM »
according to u2songs.com, it seems they are going down the ie/ei, jt +famous deep cut route which is logical given that side of the world didn't get to experience the innocence ( and experience) era

don't see what's so "logical" about this approach...  you really think that people in India are clamouring to hear 'Alex Descends Into Hell For a Bottle of Milk/Korova 1'?...  no, they want to hear songs that they recognize...  the band dropped all tunes from 'The Joshua Tree' album for the last tour and expect them to do the same for this tour with the last two albums...  that would be "logical"...
i hope we will see the blackout ....that song was made to shake a stadium....

'The Blackout' sounds more to me like it was made to be played in clubs, and going by the last tour I think that it wouldn't sound good at all in a stadium setting...  Bono's vocals relied heavily on singing along to a pre-recorded vocal track which would make life a little bit more difficult in stadiums, it would sound muddy as hell...  if the goal is "to shake a stadium" then stick with what worked before...  the 'i+e/e+i' era is finished and probably went on too long as it is...  are they supposed to have a third drumset (Larry uses a different set up on 'The Blackout') just so a small minority might want to hear it in a stadium?...:-)
« Last Edit: November 03, 2019, 08:18:48 PM by Billy Rhythm »

Offline touringband

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #48 on: November 04, 2019, 07:33:39 AM »
'The Blackout' sounds more to me like it was made to be played in clubs

Any U2 song can be played in a stadium. Its the band that gives the presence to the song.  Hence U2 are a stadium act.  I would also love to hear Blackout in a stadium because it was my fav song from the last tour.

'are they supposed to have a third drumset (Larry uses a different set up on 'The Blackout')

Im the sure the mega rock act of U2 can work out a drum kit issue if that is all that is holding them out from playing a song.  But regardless, they havent come close to rehearsing it so it wont be in the setlist it seems.

the 'i+e/e+i' era is finished

U2 didnt get your memo, they have rehearsed Every Breaking wave, THe Miracle, Youre the best thing about me, and Love is Bigger.  Great to see them in there.

Offline Billy Rhythm

• Wanderer
« Reply #49 on: November 04, 2019, 11:52:51 AM »
U2 didnt get your memo, they have rehearsed Every Breaking wave, THe Miracle, Youre the best thing about me, and Love is Bigger.  Great to see them in there.
do you have a source for this information?...  apparently I didn't get the memo either...:-)

Offline habib2343

• Wanderer
« Reply #50 on: November 04, 2019, 02:48:58 PM »
Its logical that they would include at least some mateiral from the ie/ei era on this tour given none of these countries got to hear these songs live as they are not north america or western europe.. Famous deep cuts are the 4 song intro segment that they played to rocking effect as in 2017 ( sunday bloody sunday, new years day, bad, pride/a sort of homecoming ).

As interesting and left field 'Alex Descends Into Hell For a Bottle of Milk/Korova 1' is , I don't think it falls under the category of famous deep cuts..( though imagine, out of the blue, the band drop a deep cut, no fan in a million years think they would ever perform live.........perhaps they could dog a get on your boots/big girls are best medley ? )

They are missing a trick with the Blackout. Just imagine, 8.30pm in Auckland, Friday night. its dark, the moon is out. Stage lights are out, and they give the same intro as last year as a presentation to this tour.  It could be seriously impressive but i guess thematically it just wouldn't fit as this is by and large a retropsective tour. Maybe if e/i hit stadiums ( which apparently was a possibility ), it would have worked as an intro.

Also worth remembering this is a band that once sang ' you glorify the past, when the future dries up'. They pride themselves on playing new material and not relying heavily on former glories so I expect to hear a rotating collection of innocence and experience songs on this tour ( i.e maybe 2-3 songs per gig )

Offline Blueyedboy

• Running to Stand Still
  • Embrace the challenge
« Reply #51 on: November 04, 2019, 07:05:11 PM »

Also worth remembering this is a band that once sang ' you glorify the past, when the future dries up'. They pride themselves on playing new material and not relying heavily on former glories so I expect to hear a rotating collection of innocence and experience songs on this tour ( i.e maybe 2-3 songs per gig )

They are literally touring an album that is 32.5 years old.  ;)

I hope we get a good mix of the original TJT2017  and Innocence/Experience set lists (with Acrobat and Dirty Day thrown in for good measure).

Offline habib2343

• Wanderer
« Reply #52 on: November 05, 2019, 03:44:31 AM »
Yes I know this but i hope we will see at least one brand new song which hints at their future direction...i doubt we will hear cuts like acrobat or dirty day, but a smattering of innocence and experience songs here and there..

Offline Billy Rhythm

• Wanderer
« Reply #53 on: November 06, 2019, 03:30:18 PM »
the only full run through listed so far from Monday Evening's rehearsal:

•“The Whole Of The Moon” (Intro song by The Waterboys)
•“Sunday Bloody Sunday”
•“New Year’s Day”
•“Bad” / “America” (snippet)
•“Pride (In The Name Of Love)”
•“Where The Streets Have No Name”
•“I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For”
•“With Or Without You”
•“Bullet The Blue Sky”
•“Running To Stand Still”
•“Red Hill Mining Town”
•“In God’s Country”
•“Trip Through Your Wires”
•“One Tree Hill”
•“Exit” / “Wise Blood” (snippet) / “Eeny Meeny Miny Moe” (snippet)
•“Mothers Of The Disappeared”
•“Angel of Harlem”
•“Elevation”
•“Vertigo”
•“Even Better Than The Real Thing”
•“Every Breaking Wave”
•“Beautiful Day”
•“Ultraviolet (Light My Way)”
•“Love Is Bigger Than Anything In Its Way”

not a whole lotta surprises really...  'Love Is Bigger Than Anything In Its Way' works well as a closer where the audience is likely to participate in the chant as the show ends...  it's also not clear whether 'Every Breaking Wave' features the whole band or not...  surprised a little, as stated earlier here, that 'One' appears to have been dropped while 'Ultraviolet (Light My Way)' is retained...  no word on whether 'A Sort of Homecoming' has been rehearsed but it's likely been discarded in favour of 'Bad' which is consistent with the latter half of the 2017 tour...  The Waterboys' tune continues to open the proceedings but I personally preferred The Pogues' 'A Rainy Night in SOHO'...  I'm very happy (and jealous!) that the Southern Hemisphere gets to experience what so many others enjoyed in 2017...  you're all in for a real treat...:-)

Offline Pouakai

• Stateless
  • I went walking, down that old eight-lane
« Reply #54 on: November 08, 2019, 06:57:54 PM »
I finally got to go to my first U2 concert (9 years is a big gap!) and can fill in some of the gaps here:

not a whole lotta surprises really...  'Love Is Bigger Than Anything In Its Way' works well as a closer where the audience is likely to participate in the chant as the show ends...
It definitely worked well where it was, not quite the closer but the audience was pretty into it, moreso than they were with some of the earlier songs (kiwi crowds are generally pretty subdued).

it's also not clear whether 'Every Breaking Wave' features the whole band or not...
It does, but not for the whole song. It starts out with just Edge accompanying Bono on piano, then when it gets into the "the sea knows where all the rocks are" bit Adam and Larry come in for a full band finish.

surprised a little, as stated earlier here, that 'One' appears to have been dropped while 'Ultraviolet (Light My Way)' is retained...
One was still there, they closed out the show with it as a tribute to the victims of the mosque shooting earlier in the year here. They had the names of the victims come up one by one on the screen and closed it out with the "No them, there's only us" refrain, which definitely got me.

Also I really enjoyed Ultraviolet, it's one of my favourites and it's cool to see it in person