Author Topic: A rare dandellion...  (Read 1288 times)

Offline Gavin Tuesday

• Intellectual Tortoise
Re: A rare dandellion...
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2019, 10:07:56 AM »
Does anyone else think it's just a wee bit douchey that this guy isn't releasing this?

Offline bonorules

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2019, 10:51:46 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Does anyone else think it's just a wee bit douchey that this guy isn't releasing this?

Nope, don't think that at all. He did the work to find it and may or may not have paid his own money for it, so it is his to do with what he wants. What I do think is that it is hilarious the amount of entitlement and jealousy coming from some fans and other U2 sites who are seeming to almost demand that he release the entire tape.

What he has released sounds amazing and I'm happy to have a chance to listen to it. Thanks Aaron!

Offline Gavin Tuesday

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2019, 11:52:18 AM »
I disagree. I think he's acting a little precious about the whole thing.

And I really don't care about the tape, it sounds incredibly garbled, so I'm not "jealous". I never listen to old U2 boots.

So while the tape belongs to him, that music doesn't. It's a piece of U2 history. It's frankly selfish to keep to himself.

Offline Tortuga

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2019, 12:44:44 PM »
Its a bootleg.  Legally, U2 is the only party that can release it.  I realize bootlegs have been sold and traded for years.  But with all the attention this is getting Iím not sure it can be handled the usual way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Gavin Tuesday

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2019, 02:17:23 PM »
Of course it can. In fact I'm sure U2 would love it. Bono has already said he doesn't care about boots, as long as no one is selling (or buying) them. There's a million boots out there and entire websites devoted to U2 boots. No one would care.

All the guy is doing is keeping this music for himself and people are thanking him like he's doing them a favour. He should gift this music to the world and be hero.But he's apparently enjoying the attention and keeping it to himself. If he wasn't going to share it, why bother publishing the discovery at all?

Offline soloyan

• Staring at the Sun
  • A dangerous idea that almost makes sense
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2019, 02:36:13 AM »
I'm sure there are many bootlegs in private collections that never saw the light of day, wether it's because people are unaware of what they have or not willing to share.

Difference is, they don't advertise. They don't show off.

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2019, 05:27:40 AM »
I think you guys are being a bit unfair - the tape surfaced because of work the tours team were doing. Aaron is a collector and obviously really buzzed to get hold of the tape. Its grabbed a lot of attention - agreed - but yes no need for him to share the content and its not about him. Its about the recording.

Offline Tortuga

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2019, 06:11:23 AM »
Ibut yes no need for him to share the content and its not about him. Its about the recording.

Can you explain what you mean by this?

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2019, 06:23:38 AM »
Ibut yes no need for him to share the content and its not about him. Its about the recording.

I was referencing comments above suggesting he was showing off etc.

Offline Tortuga

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2019, 06:59:37 AM »

Okay.  I think the problem is that if no one is going to be able to hear the tape, what is the point in even telling everyone about it?  So in the end the story (and your original post) is about him acquiring the tape, not the tape itself.  I mean, I get it if its a point of historical interest but U2 is barring sharing. But if its a matter of coming on here and congratulating someone on apparently being given something that they donít in turn want to share, then yeah, the story is probably going to end up being about ďhimĒ and not the recording.

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2019, 07:25:42 AM »

Okay.  I think the problem is that if no one is going to be able to hear the tape, what is the point in even telling everyone about it?  So in the end the story (and your original post) is about him acquiring the tape, not the tape itself.  I mean, I get it if its a point of historical interest but U2 is barring sharing. But if its a matter of coming on here and congratulating someone on apparently being given something that they donít in turn want to share, then yeah, the story is probably going to end up being about ďhimĒ and not the recording.

Everyoneís entitled to a view - thatís not how I would see it but Iím probably looking at it through a different glass

Offline Tortuga

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2019, 07:29:19 AM »

Everyoneís entitled to a view - thatís not how I would see it but Iím probably looking at it through a different glass

Sure.  When the rest of us have heard the recording, and can therefore really actually discuss it Iím sure we will and the recording will then become the real story.  Thanks.

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
  • Will you be back tomorrow?
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2019, 07:49:31 AM »
I'm sure nobody meant to be a douche and I'm sorry the exciting news turned sour, but yes, Aaron might want to examine his motivations for putting the fact of his purchase, and a teaser recording, out in public.

If he bought an object like a car, sure, he can tell his friends and post pic, but the car can't be shared without losing its value via overuse, inconvenience, damage, etc.

But a recording (audio or visual) of historical or cultural significance is a different matter. If he had bought a photograph of JFK kissing Marilyn Monroe and bragged about it and posted a zoomed in shot of JFK's left eye and a tuft of Marilyn's hair, people will wonder why he couldn't just show us the damn picture - or shut up about it if he didn't want to share it. He loses nothing by sharing the recording - his won't break or be less available to him - unless the value to him was just the ability to brag, and that's something worth examining in yourself.

Of course he doesn't have to share. But if he is going to keep it to himself, then he should keep it to himself.

Offline Tortuga

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2019, 10:30:56 AM »
I still think its the band and whoever else might have a legal interest in the recording that needs to explicitly give permission to make public this unique recording.  General comments Bono has made about bootlegs, that we are all well aware of, notwithstanding.  So Iím making no judgement on this Aaron guy.

My problem was the statement that he paid a lot for it so he may not want to share it.  Or if it was given to him and the band was cool with him sharing it, he still might choose not to because it is ďhisĒ.  But it seems none of us really know the facts including singnomore so probably not fair to pass judgement based on what may or may not happen with the recording eventually.

My point was really that its unrealistic to create a post inviting people to discuss a tape they canít listen to and then expect them not to discuss their frustration that they canít listen to it.

Offline ultravioletacrobat

• Babyface
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2019, 12:11:59 PM »
Wow... This is fantastic! Thanks for sharing...