Author Topic: A rare dandellion...  (Read 1341 times)

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
Re: A rare dandellion...
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2019, 01:15:57 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I still think its the band and whoever else might have a legal interest in the recording that needs to explicitly give permission to make public this unique recording.  General comments Bono has made about bootlegs, that we are all well aware of, notwithstanding.  So Iím making no judgement on this Aaron guy.

My problem was the statement that he paid a lot for it so he may not want to share it.  Or if it was given to him and the band was cool with him sharing it, he still might choose not to because it is ďhisĒ.  But it seems none of us really know the facts including singnomore so probably not fair to pass judgement based on what may or may not happen with the recording eventually.

My point was really that its unrealistic to create a post inviting people to discuss a tape they canít listen to and then expect them not to discuss their frustration that they canít listen to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No Iím happy for people to express a view - no intent from myself to close anything down.
My point for the original posting was about the recording - Iíve not heard the full thing nor do I expect to. I enjoyed the snippets I heard. I do see itís caused a bit of a storm so I can understand why there are alternative views.

Offline Gavin Tuesday

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2019, 01:05:41 PM »
Has Aaron put this full show out to the world yet, or is he still keeping it all for himself?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 01:13:09 PM by Gavin Tuesday »

Offline scott7

• Stateless
  • and still we run, we run and don't look back
« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2019, 11:18:29 AM »
Aaron provided the full story on the most recent atu2 podcast. He was given the tape and is going to donate it to the U2 museum in Dublin. U2 contacted him and asked him not to release it meantime. They were interested in the tape and got a digital copy from the guy who recorded and who is still a musician in Dublin. Here's the podcast link here. Aaron is a great guy, a fan and collector since way back and a friend of mine and would release it if he could I am sure. I am equally sure he can't and shouldn't without U2's permission even if it is only as a courtesy to them in light of their request. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Tortuga

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2019, 01:56:01 PM »
This is exactly as it should be handled.  As I said before, it should not be released without U2ís permission.  They are the owners of the content on the tape and this is different than general bootlegs of current shows that are out there.

Offline Ivanobe

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2019, 11:48:59 PM »
I don't visit the forum very often and stumbled across this thread, and would like to make a quick comment about the tape.

The attention on releasing the audio of the tape is inevitably of great interest to U2 fans, and U2 themselves were almost first off the blocks in requesting a copy of the full concert which they now have, via Pete the original taper of the show, and he also became very aware of the historical 'first' content. I have been very fortunate to be able to at least make the tape aware to all and sundry, I was quite amazed at the 'viral effect the internet has had on this artefact.

I was subsequently asked to discuss the tape (And other memorabilia that I own) with the management in Dublin.

By conicidence I am visiting Dublin soon, and a meeting has been arranged.

As part of that meeting, I am hoping that the band and/or management may give an update on their view of releasing the audio. It is obviously nothing like the band would have ever released before - it is not a soundboard recording made officially- think the 10" vinyl and download release of the fan club Another Time a few years back - but I am hoping to gently persuade that given the historical context that they should release it by way of a fan club release or archival box set that I am sure will be a future plan. All told, out of professional courtesy, that I had given an undertaking not to upload to a torrent site (it would be a first for me in any case to do so, I have never done an original upload, as all my live collection of concerts are all up on torrents, except the Dandelion of course) and I will respect in the meantime. They are satisfied that the short samples we posted on YouTube were done with that in mind and respect of their copywrite, etc, something that also needs to be considered.

To clarify is not my intention to hoard this tape at all, which is why I would love to see it displayed at the proposed museum, and I urge other fans to consider that they may have unique or interesting items from all eras of U2s career that the band simply will not have to be honest. I think they would welcome that interaction, and I plan to suggest that to management when we meet - how splendid it would be to see a mixture of fan memorabilia - even homemade - mixed with band artefacts.

I promise to advise the outcome of the meeting, 're audio, in the hope that I have permission from them to do so of course.

With best regards
Aaron
« Last Edit: July 20, 2019, 11:52:10 PM by Ivanobe »

Offline scott7

• Stateless
  • and still we run, we run and don't look back
« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2019, 07:13:34 AM »
This is exactly as it should be handled.  As I said before, it should not be released without U2ís permission.  They are the owners of the content on the tape and this is different than general bootlegs of current shows that are out there.
yup, I couldn't agree more.

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2019, 01:39:35 PM »
I don't visit the forum very often and stumbled across this thread, and would like to make a quick comment about the tape.

The attention on releasing the audio of the tape is inevitably of great interest to U2 fans, and U2 themselves were almost first off the blocks in requesting a copy of the full concert which they now have, via Pete the original taper of the show, and he also became very aware of the historical 'first' content. I have been very fortunate to be able to at least make the tape aware to all and sundry, I was quite amazed at the 'viral effect the internet has had on this artefact.

I was subsequently asked to discuss the tape (And other memorabilia that I own) with the management in Dublin.

By conicidence I am visiting Dublin soon, and a meeting has been arranged.

As part of that meeting, I am hoping that the band and/or management may give an update on their view of releasing the audio. It is obviously nothing like the band would have ever released before - it is not a soundboard recording made officially- think the 10" vinyl and download release of the fan club Another Time a few years back - but I am hoping to gently persuade that given the historical context that they should release it by way of a fan club release or archival box set that I am sure will be a future plan. All told, out of professional courtesy, that I had given an undertaking not to upload to a torrent site (it would be a first for me in any case to do so, I have never done an original upload, as all my live collection of concerts are all up on torrents, except the Dandelion of course) and I will respect in the meantime. They are satisfied that the short samples we posted on YouTube were done with that in mind and respect of their copywrite, etc, something that also needs to be considered.

To clarify is not my intention to hoard this tape at all, which is why I would love to see it displayed at the proposed museum, and I urge other fans to consider that they may have unique or interesting items from all eras of U2s career that the band simply will not have to be honest. I think they would welcome that interaction, and I plan to suggest that to management when we meet - how splendid it would be to see a mixture of fan memorabilia - even homemade - mixed with band artefacts.

I promise to advise the outcome of the meeting, 're audio, in the hope that I have permission from them to do so of course.

With best regards
Aaron

Thanks for the clarification Aaron - all the best with your discussions.

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
  • Will you be back tomorrow?
« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2019, 08:00:22 PM »
That all makes sense, Aaron, thanks.