Author Topic: It's official: Ed Sheeran breaks U2's tour record  (Read 536 times)

Offline 73October

• Staring at the Sun
  • Joy is an act of defiance
It's official: Ed Sheeran breaks U2's tour record
« on: August 02, 2019, 10:56:45 AM »
 Ed Sheeran has now officially broken records set by U2 on the 360 tour.  Sheeran's Divide Tours wraps up at the end of the month, having started in 2017.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Even with the extended Joshua Tree Tour (reworked version), they will not gain that title back.
Is it time to say that the time of U2's record breaking reigns in a number of areas (eg: Grammy wins, highest grossing/attended tours etc) is coming to an end, and time and age could be against them to retake lost crowns?

Offline summerholly

• Headache in a Suitcase
Re: It's official: Ed Sheeran breaks U2's tour record
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2019, 08:03:24 PM »
With all that U2 have achieved over such a long career I doubt if a few titles really matter.  I didn't know any of those records or care to be honest but I will always love their music.  Ed Sheeran always strikes me as a genuine humble young guy who loves making music so good on him.

Offline Tortuga

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2019, 10:28:54 AM »
Data, record sales, concert sales mean absolutely nothing relative to the appreciation or quality of the art.  If you like or donít like something, how much other people like or dislike it is absolutely meaningless.  I understand why these stats are meaningful to people in the music business; people who are making money off it.  But as a music listener they are irrelevant. 

I donít have a problem with awards such as grammies or oscars.  Its a good way for artists to bring the work of other artists to the attention of the rest of us.  The only problem is when you start thinking that an award means something is worthy and something that doesnít win an award is not worthy.  Awards are focused on whatever is currently ďinĒ and are just the opinion of a small group of people who may or may not be moved by what moves you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline cocamojoe

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2019, 04:49:28 AM »
Itís kind of a meaningless stat, though, for Ed Sheeran, though, as it took him over 250 shows to do what U2 did in just over 100; U2 averaged roughly double the crowd size per night; and, also roughly doubled the nightly earnings per show. Also, if U2ís earnings in 2011 are adjusted for inflation, theyíre ahead of Ed by roughly $100-million.

Iím not saying that Ed doesnít mad respect for his feat, especially not even yet being 30 years old, even if his music is insipidly bland by comparison to any of U2ís peak albums (i.e., U2ís newer work isnít much better than Edís work). However, trumpeting around Edís newfound status without making reference to some very particular qualifiers makes it sound as if heís done something that he really hasnít.

Offline 73October

• Staring at the Sun
  • Joy is an act of defiance
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2019, 10:37:06 AM »
He's at the age U2 were when they went massive.

I think it's a shame that lyrically his songs are uninspiring and often sound similar.  Looking at his bio, he's from an artistic family.  Although he was born in Hebden Bridge (a very arty and enviro-friendly enclave of West Yorkshire), he grew up in Framlingham, Suffolk.  That's also very arty - I have few arty associates from the wider area; Framlingham being the nearest town.  I have visited Framlingham as part of an arty (non Ed Sheeran) and spiritual pilgrimage, and the castle really does dominate the town.  It's kind of on it's own manmade 'hill'.
I just wish he would be much more creative with his talents, because he would be half decent at the least.

Offline Gavin82

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2019, 02:19:56 PM »
Lols hes done 117 shows just in EU alone & U2s whole 360 tour was around 110 all over the world ill just leave it there lols

Offline cocamojoe

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2019, 03:58:23 PM »
Lols hes done 117 shows just in EU alone & U2s whole 360 tour was around 110 all over the world ill just leave it there lols

Whatís your point?

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2019, 12:58:43 AM »
360 Best Tour Ever!

Offline Gavin82

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2019, 03:44:21 AM »

Whatís your point?

Its in plain English which part dont you understand?
Ed 270 shows
U2 110 shows

Imagine what 360 would have made with 270 shows..!!! If its taken Ed 270 too beat the 360 lols
« Last Edit: August 05, 2019, 03:47:19 AM by Gavin82 »

Offline SpringStep

• Babyface
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2019, 07:00:27 AM »
One thing to keep in mind as well, Ed Sheeran is doing this at the height of his popularity (could go bigger in his next musical cycle) at 27-28 years old.  U2 set this massive record in their late 40s/early 50's.  I would be much more amazed if Sheeran breaks his own record in 20 years, and be in the ballpark of U2's age.  I feel any immensely-popular artist could at least take a stab at the touring record: Taylor Swift, Coldplay, Adele, and so on, but shows how hard it actually is.

I do agree with the argument in how many shows it took to get the record.  It simply just took Ed almost 160 more shows to get there.  This I believe showcases how massive U2's 360 shows were in scale, attendance, and revenue generating.

Offline cocamojoe

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2019, 08:18:37 AM »

Whatís your point?

Its in plain English which part dont you understand?
Ed 270 shows
U2 110 shows

Imagine what 360 would have made with 270 shows..!!! If its taken Ed 270 too beat the 360 lols

According to Wikipedia, U2 averaged $6.7 million per night on the 360į tour, to Edís $2.9 million. Donít get me wrong, $2.9 million is a ton of money, but it is less than half of $6.7 mil. Doing some simple math, if U2ís 360į had played as many shows as Ed right now, theyíd have pulled just over $1.8 BILLION.

Again, while Iím not an Ed Sheeran fan, I do give him credit, though things must be looked at in context!

Offline Jarasang

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2019, 11:26:26 AM »
The only "crowns" woth having are making truly great albums. And the last time they did that was in 1997.