Poll

When do you think the next U2 ablum will be released?

0 (0%)
2020 (first half)
0 (0%)
2020 (second half)
4 (7.7%)
2021 (first half)
6 (11.5%)
2021 (second half)
10 (19.2%)
2022 (first half)
7 (13.5%)
2022 (second half)
9 (17.3%)
2023 (first half)
4 (7.7%)
2023 (second half)
1 (1.9%)
2024 or sometime post-2024
5 (9.6%)
never
6 (11.5%)

Total Members Voted: 52

Author Topic: When Will the Next U2 Album Be Released (Poll)  (Read 1351 times)

Offline Vox

• Running to Stand Still
  • Time is irrelevant, it's not linear.
When Will the Next U2 Album Be Released (Poll)
« on: August 07, 2019, 08:26:01 AM »
Since the end of the last tour, I can’t recall reading any news coming from the band about a new album.  Off the cuff, I remember Larry Mullen saying that he does “assume there’ll be another album,” and it seems that Adam Clayton said something about not using leftover songs and starting a new project from scratch…   But no proclamations from Bono about how there are several albums in the works, that The Edge is on-fire, that they’ve just had the best week they’ve ever had in the studio, etc. 

Maybe there’ll  be a quasi-proclamation on stage during The Joshua Tree Tour 2019 that they’re working on a new record.  Or maybe there’ll be mention during some interview promoting the tour that they’re working on new songs.  But as of right now, in August 2019, I haven’t heard anything at all about any future album plans. 

So that being said – when do you think the next U2 album is coming out?  The longest stretch of time between albums would be No Line on the Horizon to Songs of Innocence (approximately 5.5 years).  So I structured the poll to cover six-month increments, six years out from the last album (along with options for post-2024 and never).

Offline Vox

• Running to Stand Still
Re: When Will the Next U2 Album Be Released (Poll)
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2019, 08:26:31 AM »
So for my guess (as of today), I’m going to go with “2022 (second half).”  I believe they’ve spent the first half of 2019 on a well-deserved hiatus.  They’ll end 2019 with a tour (for an album that came out 32 years ago).  They will take another hiatus during the first half of 2020.  They’ll begin recording in fits and starts in the latter half of 2020 which will go on for two years.  As long as something detrimental doesn’t happen (i.e. change of producer midstream a’ la. Rubin/Thomas), the album will be mostly ready to go in early 2022.  But they’ll wait to release it until late 2022, because that’s what U2 still does.   Actually, late 2022 might even be a little optimistic, but that’s what I’m going with today.   

Offline Bundang Dave

• Staring at the Sun
  • It's not what I want; it's what I need.
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2019, 04:47:01 PM »
I guess it's time to start thinking about the next album, isn't it.

So far, I've cast the most optimistic vote . . . though I certainly won't be holding my breath in anticipation.

Hopefully we at least get some sort of b-side or soundtrack song released during the long wait.

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2019, 04:30:32 AM »
I did vote for a date - second half of 22 i think - but honestly - still not convinced where they go after these shows. I don't think we will see Songs of Ascent - I think they have done this part of their journey. So just not sure...

Offline xy

• Child of Grace
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2019, 08:22:41 AM »
If they are starting afresh, ie new stuff, late 2022 at best. If they're jumping off something old, like SOA/Red One dance album/Rubin rock album maybe quicker. I also would not exclude AB30 tour / zoo 2.0 in 2021 or 2022.

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
  • Will you be back tomorrow?
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2019, 09:13:11 AM »
I think late 2022 or early 2023. I voted late 2022 because I like to be optimistic.

I think it will be all new stuff. I think Rubin and SOA are in the trash. Hopefully they can find a great producer, and that producer will not have to develop a serious drinking problem. I'd really like it to be Eno but I have serious doubts as to whether he would ever work with them again. I like Danger Mouse's work. Also, I'm very curious what a collab with Mark Ronson would sound like.

I do think that they are going to want to do another album. And I really want them to do another album. I'd like them to focus on making interesting music that is not formulaic but keeps changing/evolving over the course of the song so it stays fresh to the ear. Examples include Mofo, Zooropa, Unknown Caller (forget the lyrics and chants, the instrumental evolves marvelously), Little Things. For a non-U2 example, Bohemian Rhapsody. Also, stuff without a chorus, or a very understated chorus.

Offline 73October

• Staring at the Sun
  • Joy is an act of defiance
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2019, 06:23:05 AM »
Maybe I was being slightly overoptimistic with late 2021?

They've had a well-needed break and are soon extending the Joshua Tree anniversary tour to Australia/NZ and Asia which will see out 2019. Rehearsals will start maybe in September, I imagine followed by stage rehearsals later October onwards.

I have read that the plan in 2020 is to work on a new album.  SOA, Rubin and anything else going back around 10 years or so is scrapped now.  Adam did say on a radio interview that there was no plans (in 2017) to use any of the left overs from SOI & SOE. 
In the same article I read about working on an album in 2020 (U2Songs), I also read that Bono wants a 'balls to the wall' rock album.

So we need to see when the musical consensus occurs and how long that will take (!).  Then to rehearse and record new material and finally release it could be as early as late 2021.  I said that because their workrate has picked up over the last 5 years since the recording and release of SOI in 2014.  Having said that, it could get pushed back to 2022.  That would be 5 years since the previous new release.

Offline Vox

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2019, 01:32:31 PM »
With the news this week about Ryan Tedder saying he’ll start work on U2’s next album “soon,” I thought I’d take a snapshot of where this poll stands as of today, after 35 votes.
2019-2020:  0 votes (0%)
2021 (first half):  4 votes (11.4%)
2021 (second half):  6 votes (17.1%)
2022 (first half):  6 votes (17.1%)
2022 (second half):  6 votes (17.1%)
2023 (first half):  3 votes (8.6%)
2023 (second half):  1 vote (2.9%)
2024 or post-2024:  4 votes (11.4%)
Never:  5 votes (14.3%)

To me, “soon” would mean sometime in the late spring/early summer of 2020…  U2 are touring at the end of this year.  You’d assume that they’ll probably take a half-year break after that, because that’s what the U2 of the past two decades do.  Then, maybe they hit the studio for a couple of months early next summer, take their usual August holiday, studio in September-October, then take a few months Holiday-holiday… 

So…  I’ll still stick with my original pick of second half of 2022…  As long as they don’t find enough modern-day relevancy in Achtung Baby to tour ZooTV again in 2021…  If that happens, then late 2024 or after.

P.S.  It’s not snark when it’s past precedent. 

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
  • Will you be back tomorrow?
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2019, 04:51:36 PM »
The news just fits into my guess on timing.

I still haven't gotten over being bummed about RT to start getting excited about the new album. I also was already basically convinced they will want to do another one.

Offline Argo

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2019, 06:13:18 PM »
Good news but it will be a long wait still. Earliest we will get an album will be end of 2020 but still think end of 2021 more likely which was my initial estimate. Any one know or able to check for last couple of albums how long it took from when they said they were starting recording. SOE probably doesn't count so much as that was so tied to SOI although even then what was suggested as a double album and then a quick follow up took a long time given the World changed or something...

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2019, 08:21:10 PM »
It could of course just be be single recordings like Electrical Storm or Windows?

Online Tortuga

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2019, 04:29:19 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
It could of course just be be single recordings like Electrical Storm or Windows?

You mean tedder might just be working on a single, not an album?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2019, 08:05:42 AM »

You mean tedder might just be working on a single, not an album?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s possible - they have been known to throw out tracks in between campaigns

Offline Argo

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2019, 02:57:12 AM »
Could do a song or 2 for another best of album, 2000 - 2019.

Offline ricebird5678

• Wanderer
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2019, 12:02:34 PM »
Could do a song or 2 for another best of album, 2000 - 2019.

Geez, I started thinking of the songs that I would think belong on that compare to U2's best of the 80's and 90's. Yikes.