Author Topic: Thoughts on early records.  (Read 341 times)

Offline Kevplunkett

• Stranger in a Strange Land
Thoughts on early records.
« on: August 10, 2019, 11:14:25 AM »
Hello from a new member, Kevplunkett. (Thank you for reading.) As I know this webpage has been in existence for many years and I am a relatively old person (53-years-old) who discovered U2 when 'War' first came out my comments will likely bore both the young people reading as well as those who have read similar thoughts and discussions as mine before so please let me apologize in advance. :) I just was interested in discussing the more personal and heartfelt aspects of the music of U2 from their first four albums, from 'Boy' to 'The Unforgettable Fire' as well as the influence of their life in Dublin and Ireland on their music and lyrics. (One interesting note is that the American Irish culture and history journal 'The New Hibernia Review' has three articles on U2 in their latest Spring issue.) I know that there is not much direct or very clear Irish element within the music of these records and that the lyrics do not very often feature elements of Dublin or North Dublin but I really love those moments in the music that do at least for me conjure their actual lives and experience including the songs of 'Boy' and 'October' and 'The Unforgettable Fire.' I also love the video of 'Gloria' which features the dock area of Dublin, The video for the Clannad song 'In a Lifetime' (1985) which Bono sings on and the words and tone of 'A Sort of Homecoming' which seems to me to be influenced at least in part of the experience of Irish history and its difficulties and even harshness of life, as well. Just wanted to add a few thoughts, and thank you very much for reading and have a fine and peaceful day.