Author Topic: Anyone see "The Family" on Netflix? Specifically, the episode on the NPB?  (Read 692 times)

Offline dwaltman

• Staring at the Sun
NPB is the National Prayer Breakfast.  Interesting documentary and I keep waiting for Bono's role as speaker in 2006 but it has yet to come.  I wonder if he knew the story being told in the documentary at the time of the speaking engagement?

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
Re: Anyone see "The Family" on Netflix? Specifically, the episode on the NPB?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2019, 10:32:00 PM »
I havenít seen the documentary but are you referring to the pay to play as pect itís turned into?

Offline dwaltman

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2019, 09:11:43 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I havenít seen the documentary but are you referring to the pay to play as pect itís turned into?

Not so much pay to play, but a secret group of Evangelicals that use the National Prayer Breakfast as an event primarily peddled as access to important leaders who attend.  My guess is those in attendance, including speakers such as Bono, would not be aware of the attempt to influence policy issues in a somewhat secretive, subversive manner.

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Child of Grace
  • Don't worry, baby, it'll be alright
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2019, 12:15:40 AM »
Bono has never shown himself to be naive about the people he interacts. He just seems to want to try to connect to their better, more generous natures. He clearly expressed how much he loathed the second Iraq war, but he was still willing to work with the second Bush administration when it came to debt relief and disease prevention. I'm a gay man and had any number of reasons to distrust Jesse Helms, but Bono still convinced him to come around on AIDS prevention. As a gay man, I also have plenty of reasons to distrust the NPB, but Bono has been effective in his positive goals (as I view them). It's not how I'd go about it. I'd imagine he's taking a utilitarian view of the situation, where if the good outweighs the bad and it relates to human lives, it's a sacrifice worth taking. Just my guess though.