Author Topic: Spot the intergenerational differences....!  (Read 1070 times)

Offline 73October

• Staring at the Sun
  • Joy is an act of defiance
Spot the intergenerational differences....!
« on: September 07, 2019, 12:42:26 PM »
What a difference a generation of musicians makes.....looking at these two interviews, it shows the different approach and understanding in the (local) music industry now compared to a generation ago (in the same city)

positivity and collaboration to some extent amongst bands on the circuit, a sense of being at ease - life seems better for this generation of young bands

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

rather than a positivity borne out of despair (although that positivity is still there today) and a sense of desperation back in the day

Some things are still pretty much the same (ha ha) though.  The looks, the voice and delivery. 

The first interview very much reminded me of the second.....
I wish the first band all the very best for a long future ahead (will be seeing them live again soon) and the second all the very best for determination to keep going (hope to see them live again at some point in the future).

Offline Luzita

• Intellectual Tortoise
Re: Spot the intergenerational differences....!
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2019, 08:42:29 PM »
This is a great idea to juxtapose these interviews. Yes, Inhaler seems much more carefree than young U2. Nice to hear that guitar music might be making a comeback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline summerholly

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2019, 10:02:28 AM »
This is a great idea to juxtapose these interviews. Yes, Inhaler seems much more carefree than young U2. Nice to hear that guitar music might be making a comeback.

I guess it is not surprising that Inhaler is more carefree.  They come from a very different more privileged and experienced position.  U2 came from an era in Ireland of real turmoil and it took real determination and strength of character to make it from absolutely nothing but their own resolve, mind you that also drove the passion that made them an unforgettable band.  Gosh Bono and his son are like peas in a pod.

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2019, 08:37:31 PM »
I love hearing a singer so similar in looks and sound to Bono, but I'm not sure Eli has the same sense of purpose.  Just listened to "Ice Cream Sundae" and it wasn't great, although it is just fascinating to me to hear that look and sound in 2019.

Offline Luzita

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2019, 09:13:05 PM »
I love hearing a singer so similar in looks and sound to Bono, but I'm not sure Eli has the same sense of purpose.  Just listened to "Ice Cream Sundae" and it wasn't great, although it is just fascinating to me to hear that look and sound in 2019.
I hope Inhaler does well. Rock music isnít as popular these days and it would be great to see it come back at least a little.

I donít think Eli is so similar to Bono in either look or sound. His singing style is different. And I know people say he looks just like his dad but I donít agree. Bono was kind of cute when he was young but his charisma is what made him so attractive. He was never outright good-looking, which Eli is. I think Eli gets his looks from his mom.

They raised one beautiful crop of kids. The girls and Eli are all gorgeous; John isnít bad looking, which is more the category Bono is in. More importantly, of course, the kids all seem to have their heads screwed on straight.

• Child of Grace
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2019, 02:15:34 PM »
Eli's band sounds a bit like "Future Islands" to me.  The sound a bit poppy, maybe in a trippy type way, if that makes sense.

• Child of Grace
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2019, 02:21:34 PM »
I always thought Bono was drop-dead gorgeous in his youthful days.  I see a lot of him in Eli.

Offline Luzita

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2019, 04:11:22 PM »
I always thought Bono was drop-dead gorgeous in his youthful days.  I see a lot of him in Eli.
YMMV. Lots of people seem to agree with you.

Offline summerholly

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2019, 08:36:35 AM »

Yes I did too.  Looking back at some of the old footage damn he was gorgeous.  Maybe it is a combination of his sheer stage presence and the music, the way he just sang from the heart and Edges beautiful guitar work.  Their music was something else back in the day.  They were one of the bands of the century, a pretty tough act to follow. 

• Child of Grace
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2019, 07:42:46 PM »
Long- haired Bono (in the JT/Unforgettable Fire era) is so beautiful it almost hurts to look at him.

Offline summerholly

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2019, 08:16:26 PM »
Long- haired Bono (in the JT/Unforgettable Fire era) is so beautiful it almost hurts to look at him.

Yes

Online Tortuga

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2019, 08:26:31 PM »
Iím offended by how you all objectify men as objects of desire!

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2019, 01:41:08 AM »
Iím offended by how you all objectify men as objects of desire!

;D

• Child of Grace
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2019, 08:00:21 PM »
Lol!

Offline 73October

• Staring at the Sun
  • Joy is an act of defiance
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2019, 08:44:42 AM »
There are no women in these bands to speak of!
I can't comment about Eli as it would be a bit creepy - other than to say he has a lot of his mum (including brown eyes) and some of the best of his dad.  Bono picked a rose in Ali.
Bono looked amazing around 1987 - he'd have been 27.  The hair, the blue eyes, the shirtless waistcoats..... 
I've met Eli but not Bono. Someone told me straight after they'd met both of them and Eli is as charming and approachable as his dad.  So I won't be disappointed - I'd love to meet Mr Hewson Snr.