Author Topic: How Would You Do a U2 Biopic  (Read 1930 times)

Offline Luzita

• Intellectual Tortoise
Re: How Would You Do a U2 Biopic
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2019, 11:38:23 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Agreed, not a Bono story but a U2 story.

What about a theme of "how we figured out how to use our music to bring people together?" And it touches on both them bringing audiences together and also learning how to grow together as not just a band but a brotherhood.

They could set up the problem around October, where they are thinking of calling it quits because the band doesn't (seem to) fit with their faith. "Is rock and roll just vanity or can it be something really worthwhile?"

They continue by trying to make music that cares. They have some good night where they connected with the audience in special ways and vow to continue that.

They make it big with JT. The spotlight is hard. There are problems with each other, at home, etc.

They chop down the JT and Bono put on a mask. They are living it high for them, Adam is having a hard time, Edge is having a hard time, Bono is being a p****. They make music wondering about how to separate the superficial bubblegum from what really matters.

They continue to find moments. Sarajevo is a big one. Maybe there are little ones, profound little moments.

Climax is Streets at the Super Bowl, using their magic to bring an entire nation and its friends together in a time of significant crisis. Yes, rock and roll can transcend.
I agree that U2 as a family would need to be a major focus of the film.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2019, 08:12:15 PM »
"Ordinary Love" is a great theme.  I have ideas re. the scenes and would be willing to write a screenplay.

Offline McSwilly

• Refugee
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2019, 03:41:32 PM »
Please, No! As a fan since '83, I have no interest in seeing this, we all know the story, we know the guys.

We have the great music, we don't need a cheesy movie.

Offline hollywoodswag

• Stateless
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2019, 06:18:00 PM »
Agreed. U2's story doesn't appear to hold much of interest to anyone outside of dedicated fans. I'm not trying to call them boring. I'm just saying that they don't really have much in the way of juicy drama that people seem to crave.

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
  • Will you be back tomorrow?
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2019, 12:22:27 PM »
Please, No! As a fan since '83, I have no interest in seeing this, we all know the story, we know the guys.

We have the great music, we don't need a cheesy movie.

I'm going to endorse this sentiment.

The only U2 movies we need are Under a Blood Red Sky, Rattle and Hum, Sydney, Mexico City, Go Home, etc.

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2019, 06:40:35 PM »
There will most certainly be a movie made once Bono is gone.

Offline gabran

• Stranger in a Strange Land
  • gabran
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2019, 02:16:55 AM »
If a Movie was put together that would take us on a must watch.

I’d like to see the story of a young individual, growing through the late 70s Struggling through back wash of Belfast or Dublin taking on the challenges of life in all its forms in a low social economic environment.

Along the path from school teenage life where they stumble across a band called U2, And still there journey commences, the strifes continue through there job prospects if any, there family turmoil, into marriage and kids, the super market,scrapping, watching pennies, eg (Pulp common people) you’ve got the picture write

But all the while! through these constant ashes of life there are glimpses of U2 found from there Walkman to CD etc, lifting them ! picking them up along the way they find a few quid and get to the Unforgettable fire concert.It awakens there senses...and begin to thrash that vinyl on the dads turntable or steel there mates cassette because they have thrashed there’s.

And toward this constant grind on this epic journey, and the odd visit of the lads to there own town constantly reconfirming this life of there’s traveled, they were always at the touch of a button.They realised the whole street was not dissimilar, there lives where paralleled by the same grind but those guitar strings of The Edge and  Bono’s sound was a place they could go, even on the bus and disappear and be reborn when ever the headphones come off,

You decided the end....But for me the band would want this I’d say not about them but the movie would be a constant whisper or echo in the back ground.

What do ya think

Offline Tortuga

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2019, 03:46:28 AM »

I’d like to see the story of a young individual, growing through the late 70s Struggling through back wash of Belfast or Dublin taking on the challenges of life in all its forms in a low social economic environment.

Along the path from school teenage life where they stumble across a band called U2, And still there journey commences, the strifes continue through there job prospects if any, there family turmoil, into marriage and kids, the super market,scrapping, watching pennies, eg (Pulp common people) you’ve got the picture write

But all the while! through these constant ashes of life there are glimpses of U2 found from there Walkman to CD etc, lifting them ! picking them up along the way they find a few quid and get to the Unforgettable fire concert.It awakens there senses...and begin to thrash that vinyl on the dads turntable or steel there mates cassette because they have thrashed there’s.

And toward this constant grind on this epic journey, and the odd visit of the lads to there own town constantly reconfirming this life of there’s traveled, they were always at the touch of a button.They realised the whole street was not dissimilar, there lives where paralleled by the same grind but those guitar strings of The Edge and  Bono’s sound was a place they could go, even on the bus and disappear and be reborn when ever the headphones come off,

You decided the end....But for me the band would want this I’d say not about them but the movie would be a constant whisper or echo in the back ground.

What do ya think

I think its a cool concept for a movie about musicians.  It wouldn’t be a biopic though, segments of it might be.  And it would take some really good writing and directing to make it work.

Offline SwimmingSorrows

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • Some folks are bound for glory, I was Born to Hang
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2019, 08:05:25 PM »

What do ya think

It's certainly an interesting idea, but idk I don't know if it would work as a movie.  Also, I think if they make a movie, the point of it cannot be "U2 is so great" or "U2 has helped/saved so many people."  Coming from a fan, that's a sweet sentiment.  In a movie endorsed or approved by the band, that's pretentious, self-important propaganda.

Offline Tortuga

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2019, 05:55:52 AM »
I think of movies like “Across the Universe” and the more recent one “Yesterday”, which are not really about the Beatles but are themed around the Beatles’ art.  For me at least, there is a difference in being a fan of U2’s music as opposed to being a fan of the people who made it.  While I may enjoy understanding the people who made the music and how their experiences shaped it, I think the more interesting story is the music itself.  That’s what these two Beatles themed movies have captured.

Offline soloyan

• Staring at the Sun
  • A dangerous idea that almost makes sense
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2019, 02:09:47 AM »
I think the band should stay away from such a project. They’re so conservative they would interfere in a bad way. But then again they probably won’t allow the use of their music if they don’t have a minimum control.

I think that, as far as U2 is concerned, From the sky down is probably the closest we’ll ever get to a biopic.

Bono is a different animal. See him evolve from young dreamer to messiah, morph into Mc Phisto then activist... definitely a topic for a film. Maybe from Ali’s point of view.