Author Topic: Songs of Innocence: Five Years On  (Read 3550 times)

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
  • Will you be back tomorrow?
Re: Songs of Innocence: Five Years On
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2019, 04:57:36 PM »
Well, I read the Grace lyrics. Sure, I like what it says about karma vs grace, and like the message a lot. Didn't see much turn of phrase that stood out, though. And I guess one thing I dislike is heavy repetition of the title word (ditto for New York). I mean, some repetition is fine but those songs just exceed my limits.

I listened to the song again and got halfway through before I couldn't muster enough interest to finish.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2019, 04:59:25 PM by laoghaire »

Offline Sunchild

• Stateless
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2019, 02:13:26 PM »
It is such a huge reinvention of U2's music, I was surprised it was U2 that I was listening to. The same feeling I had with ALTYCLB, before that it was AB, and Unforgettable Fire. SOI and SOE are nothing like U2 of the past, it was like Ultravox of the 70's and 80's combined, more poppy punk rock without operatic anthemic sound of the 2000's era with big choruses. These two albums feel more harmonious and flowing without many pauses into calmer parts in the songs. People don't realize that U2 lose fans very time they go through these reinventions, they did lose many after AB, as well as in 2000, while also saying they're not as good anymore. I'd say they're just gaining new fans, and there's been many new ones after these two albums. They re a refreshing change in sound and style, so much more about subtlety.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2019, 06:20:38 AM by Sunchild »

Offline Dali

• Child of Grace
« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2019, 02:22:47 PM »
I don't listen to it much anymore. It came out after a breakup and I don't want to go back to that feeling. Some songs are still great, though just some.

Offline U2alwaysforever

• Staring at the Sun
  • "And you can dream, so dream out loud."
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2020, 05:31:18 PM »
I still listen pretty much weekly. A lot of it is in my rotation. Favorite became the troubles not long after release and definitely still is

Offline 13

• Babyface
  • The heart is a bloom.
« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2020, 09:51:42 AM »
I'm so happy to see some love for this recording.

Most U2 albums take me awhile to appreciate (but there's always -- well, nearly always -- something about them that makes me keep listening until I do) -- but I fell in love with SOI the minute I heard it. I think the only other U2 album I can say that about is October (so happy to see some love for that one, too!)

Not that it's necessarily my "favorite", but it would rank high on the list -- if I had one.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
For me it is all about the sound and the music.  The construction of the music and for me the sound of the lead guitar in particular.  A sound that captures my soul, then I listen to the lyrics, if the lyrics are average but the sound great then I put my own interpretation on the sound.  If the sound is there and the lyrics are special then that is a bonus.  If the sound doesn't grab me the lyrics become irrelevant....
This pretty much describes my relationship to their music as well. Fortunately for me, SOI works for me on that level ... even five years on.

Offline Quack

• Wanderer
« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2020, 01:05:32 AM »
It's been at least two years since I listened to any of it so I guess I didn't like it that much.

Offline 13

• Babyface
  • The heart is a bloom.
« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2020, 05:11:34 AM »
That's what I said about Pop. (Although the stretch was more like 20 years than 2.) Then for some reason I gave it another listen and now I'm a fan. Go figure.

Offline PapaPOP

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2020, 09:27:23 PM »
Hi everyone.

Just wondering what people's thoughts are on the extra songs featured on the Deluxe Edition ? I have the original iTunes free download, with the main 11 songs, and I've been thinking about purchasing the extra songs. I've listened to the 1 minute snippets on iTunes, but they seem a little ho hum to me.

I wasn't really a fan of SOI at first release, but as I've lived with it and understood the songs more and more, I've grown to really like it. My favourite U2 album is POP, which probably puts me at odds with most fans.

Thanks

Offline pan360

• Wanderer
  • The universe is beautiful but cold
« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2020, 02:58:13 PM »
The Crystal Ballroom is great... It could be a song in POP. I also like a lot both Invisible and Lucifer's Hands.. The accoustic versions  are Ok. The alternative versions of Troubles and SLBT are worth listening.

Offline PapaPOP

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2020, 07:07:44 PM »
Hi Pan360. Thanks for that reply.