Author Topic: Songs of Innocence: Five Years On  (Read 2317 times)

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
  • Will you be back tomorrow?
Re: Songs of Innocence: Five Years On
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2019, 04:57:36 PM »
Well, I read the Grace lyrics. Sure, I like what it says about karma vs grace, and like the message a lot. Didn't see much turn of phrase that stood out, though. And I guess one thing I dislike is heavy repetition of the title word (ditto for New York). I mean, some repetition is fine but those songs just exceed my limits.

I listened to the song again and got halfway through before I couldn't muster enough interest to finish.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2019, 04:59:25 PM by laoghaire »

Offline Sunchild

• Stateless
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2019, 02:13:26 PM »
It is such a huge reinvention of U2's music, I was surprised it was U2 that I was listening to. The same feeling I had with ALTYCLB, before that it was AB, and Unforgettable Fire. SOI and SOE are nothing like U2 of the past, it was like Ultravox of the 70's and 80's combined, more poppy punk rock without operatic anthemic sound of the 2000's era with big choruses. These two albums feel more harmonious and flowing without many pauses into calmer parts in the songs. People don't realize that U2 lose fans very time they go through these reinventions, they did lose many after AB, as well as in 2000, while also saying they're not as good anymore. I'd say they're just gaining new fans, and there's been many new ones after these two albums. They re a refreshing change in sound and style, so much more about subtlety.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2019, 06:20:38 AM by Sunchild »

Offline Dali

• Child of Grace
« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2019, 02:22:47 PM »
I don't listen to it much anymore. It came out after a breakup and I don't want to go back to that feeling. Some songs are still great, though just some.