Author Topic: U2's Pop Single Edits/"Best of" Remixes: Improvements Over the Originals?  (Read 286 times)

Offline hollywoodswag

• Stateless
I was listening to the Last Night on Earth single today, and it got me thinking: were the single edits and/or the Best of 1990-2000 Mike Hedges remixes of the songs that received them improvements over the album cuts? In my opinion, other than Gone, I'd have to say no. Now, of the seven songs in question (Discotheque, Staring At the Sun, Last Night on Earth, Please, If God Will Send His Angels, Mofo, and Gone), most of my listening has been devoted to Discotheque, LNOE, and Gone, but honestly, other than Gone, I found the album versions to be superior. I like having the guitar and effects right out of the gate on Discotheque, and I felt that the longer intro Last Night on Earth's album version kicked it off stronger.

What are your thoughts? Are there particular single edits or "Best of" remixes of Pop songs that you find to be the definitive versions? Are there other remixes or edits outside of even those that you find to be superior to their album counterparts?

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
Re: U2's Pop Single Edits/"Best of" Remixes: Improvements Over the Originals?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2019, 03:52:23 AM »
LNOE was recorded here in Toronto on the Pop stop. I like the more aggressive guitar towards the end which obviously came from the live show. Discotheque is a juggernaut with it's many versions. I think I prefer the Pop version.

Please single is interesting in it's raw rock approach. You forgot about Velvet Dress which has a great alternate version. I like the Live version of SATS which you didn't count probably because it is non-studio. I don't find that much variation in Gone.

Offline hollywoodswag

• Stateless
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2019, 05:46:53 AM »
For Gone, I felt like that screeching guitar or effect at the beginning to be more prominent in the Mike Hedges mix. I feel like the equality in volume between it and the main guitar part results in a better blend than on the album, where it sounds a bit buried in the mix.

I'll have to study the end of LNOE and that guitar part to see what you're saying. I've never done a back-to-back A/B comparison of them.

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2019, 08:48:04 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
For Gone, I felt like that screeching guitar or effect at the beginning to be more prominent in the Mike Hedges mix. I feel like the equality in volume between it and the main guitar part results in a better blend than on the album, where it sounds a bit buried in the mix.

I'll have to study the end of LNOE and that guitar part to see what you're saying. I've never done a back-to-back A/B comparison of them.

Edge and Dallas called the sound at the beginning of Gone, the 747 sound. It's made by mixing a DigiTech Whammy WH-1 with some other sounds. See also Tom Morello and Jack White.

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Child of Grace
  • Don't worry, baby, it'll be alright
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2019, 01:45:14 PM »
I think they were all improvements, with the exception of the Best Of version of Discotheque. It stripped out Edge's guitar riff from the chorus and made it sound much more like the live version of the song, aka much more bland. Edge's riff in the chorus was so damn fun and cool.

Offline SwimmingSorrows

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • Some folks are bound for glory, I was Born to Hang
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2019, 07:31:12 PM »
I don't think any of the Mike Hedges ones are improvements, but the single versions of Please and Last Night on Earth are far superior in my opinion.  The bass on the album version of Please is in the wrong key, for one.  As for Last Night on Earth, the single edit got rid of the annoying talky intro and fixed the vocals in the chorus, which sound pretty bad on the album version.  His voice is gone, and you can tell they're trying to hide it with reverb.  I like that heavier guitar at the end, as well.

Offline pan360

• Wanderer
  • The universe is beautiful but cold
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2019, 07:38:06 AM »
I don't think any of the Mike Hedges ones are improvements, but the single versions of Please and Last Night on Earth are far superior in my opinion.  The bass on the album version of Please is in the wrong key, for one.  As for Last Night on Earth, the single edit got rid of the annoying talky intro and fixed the vocals in the chorus, which sound pretty bad on the album version.  His voice is gone, and you can tell they're trying to hide it with reverb.  I like that heavier guitar at the end, as well.

I agree. Also the strings arrangement by Craig Armstrong  on Please sounds great. The Best Of mixes are less experimental, more flat. Someone mentions a different mix of Mofo. I don't think there is a different mix apart from the remixes in the single.

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2019, 06:24:49 PM »
I agree pan360. He must be referring to the POPMART Remix. Which is basically my favourite remix ever by U2. The one with M, "Popmusik" in it. 

Offline pan360

• Wanderer
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2019, 11:42:28 AM »
I agree pan360. He must be referring to the POPMART Remix. Which is basically my favourite remix ever by U2. The one with M, "Popmusik" in it.

Is there a link for the remix you mention?

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2019, 05:48:35 PM »

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2019, 05:54:17 PM »

Offline pan360

• Wanderer
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2019, 02:10:33 PM »
Oh, this one you mean. Yes, it's a great mix. Thanks for sharing!