Author Topic: Ryan Tedder. Again.  (Read 1997 times)

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
  • Will you be back tomorrow?
Ryan Tedder. Again.
« on: September 24, 2019, 02:10:34 PM »
The rumor is that Ryan Tedder says he'll be producing the next album.

I love SOI and SOE. And I am extremely bummed about this news.

Sorry, Ryan. But U2 did that direction, and I'm fine with it. But I think they kind of already did their thing with you. Project is done, era is closed. I like it. And I'm ready to move on.

Also, Ryan, for your own sake you should pass on this anyway. If I were a producer, I'd avoid U2 like the plague.

Offline Vox

• Running to Stand Still
  • Time is irrelevant, it's not linear.
Re: Ryan Tedder. Again.
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2019, 02:43:27 PM »
That's a bit disappointing to me, after the past two albums...  I liked the last one fine, but I'm not sure he was able to elicit that certain magical spark which is essential for this band.  However, in his defense, maybe that's just not possible anymore.

If it's true they produce 70 versions of the same song, hopefully they pick the right versions of songs for this album.

Actually, though I never thought I'd say it again, I wouldn't mind another Eno/Lanois collaboration at this point.  Followed by Flood.   

Offline Luzita

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2019, 03:13:51 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Also, Ryan, for your own sake you should pass on this anyway. If I were a producer, I'd avoid U2 like the plague.

LOL! Yes, they must drive producers to distraction. They're perfectionists who write songs by jamming and, at this stage of their careers, have the time and money to keep tinkering endlessly. The home page has some quotes from Tedder to that effect but U2Songs has a longer quote from an Italian interview:

“Bono and The Edge are like conductors. They listen to the demos and assemble the songs by taking the melody from one demo, the chords from another, the strings from a third demo. With them a song is never finished. You spend three months working on a piece, you leave and everyone seems happy with the result. Bono and the others go to Eze, in France, and they spend three weeks and they call you: ‘Ryan, Ryan, we’re thinking of speeding up the song, and maybe putting something punk on it like a new bass line. Ah yes, another thing, I completely rewrote the lyrics.’ And this thing happens with all of the songs! U2 are the best group on the planet but with them its not uncommon to produce 70 versions of a single song.”

He must be a sucker for punishment.

The interview also says the band want to make the next album quite different from SOI and SOE, which is fine by me. Though I like SOI and love SOE, I'm ready for different.

I know there's a subset of fans who view Ryan Tedder as the devil incarnate but I'm not quite sure why. The albums he's involved with are good, after all. I'll have to look more closely at the credits for each song and see if there's any pattern to the Ryan Tedder influence.

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2019, 03:25:09 PM »
I would also have to study the credits for each song, but on SOI I had previously noticed I like Danger Mouse's work better.

Honestly, I feel like Eno is the greatest thing that ever happened to U2. But I doubt he will ever work with them again. So I just want somebody new.

I also look forward to a different direction, but I don't know how much I believe their vows to strip it down, not over produce, etc.

I can only hope. 

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2019, 04:47:02 PM »
The U2/ENO/Lanois bridge has some baggage over song writing credits, no?

Offline Tortuga

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2019, 03:51:09 AM »
Let’s just hope this is not true. 

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2019, 07:24:25 AM »

I think you are right plus the last time they actually got credits the album (No Line) didn't do very well.

Bit disappointed myself - my only hope is they talk about it being more stripped down and less over produced

Offline Tortuga

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2019, 09:16:50 AM »

I think you are right plus the last time they actually got credits the album (No Line) didn't do very well.

Bit disappointed myself - my only hope is they talk about it being more stripped down and less over produced
Tedder = dumbed down pop songs like Summer of Love

The two comments aren’t even compatible.   The best thing about this rumor is that U2 albums almost never end up being finished by the producer they begin with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2019, 09:37:38 AM »

The two comments aren’t even compatible.   The best thing about this rumor is that U2 albums almost never end up being finished by the producer they begin with.

It all remains to be seen in the U2 world - who knows. Personally I like Summer of Love but I'm also a big lover of the October album - so in some U2 fans eyes what would i know  8)

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2019, 10:49:48 AM »

Those visual charts we see in the U2 studio sessions? They are not for songs they are actually for producers!

Offline pan360

• Wanderer
  • The universe is beautiful but cold
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2019, 03:06:22 PM »
I was hoping for a return of Eno/Lanois. And if they were to involve one of the new producers, I would prefer Andy Barlow. The magical songs in SOE were the ones produced by him. And why not a collaboration of Barlow/ Eno/ Lanois? In any case there will be more than one producers not just this Tedder guy.

Offline achtung child

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2019, 06:25:47 PM »
This album is never happening LOLZ!!

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2019, 01:35:01 AM »
I was hoping for a return of Eno/Lanois. And if they were to involve one of the new producers, I would prefer Andy Barlow. The magical songs in SOE were the ones produced by him. And why not a collaboration of Barlow/ Eno/ Lanois? In any case there will be more than one producers not just this Tedder guy.

I would like to see Eno and Lanois again - all depends if Bono has got the need for relevance out of his system  ::)

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2019, 04:46:29 PM »
+1 for "Enois' and Danger Mice."

Offline Argo

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2019, 06:14:45 PM »
Whilst would also prefer it not to be Tedder, any U2 album is still a good thing.