Author Topic: Ryan Tedder. Again.  (Read 2002 times)

Offline Boba Fett

• Stateless
Re: Ryan Tedder. Again.
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2019, 01:57:28 AM »
Someone like Brendan O’Brien would be interesting. And would almost certainly result in a more stripped down, organic sound.

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2019, 08:04:17 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Someone like Brendan O’Brien would be interesting. And would almost certainly result in a more stripped down, organic sound.

Would seem to meet the description a you say looking at some of the bands he has produced.

Offline World71R

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • It's no secret ambition bites the nails of success
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2019, 08:37:55 PM »
That's a bit disappointing to me, after the past two albums...  I liked the last one fine, but I'm not sure he was able to elicit that certain magical spark which is essential for this band.  However, in his defense, maybe that's just not possible anymore.

If it's true they produce 70 versions of the same song, hopefully they pick the right versions of songs for this album.

Actually, though I never thought I'd say it again, I wouldn't mind another Eno/Lanois collaboration at this point.  Followed by Flood.   

I'd love to have Flood do the next album with Danger Mouse (if he wanted to work with the band again). That would elicit that magical spark and really allow for something exciting.

Offline McSwilly

• Refugee
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2019, 08:04:53 AM »
Bad news. What rock and roll band needs a song writing partner producer? Maybe that is why the last two albums were so bad.

for almost every album Bono hypes us by saying they are returning to their Punk roots. Really?

How about the 4 guys plug in and play some rock songs and record them.

Offline JaraSangASongAWeapon

• Party Girl/Boy
  • And the moon turned red over One Tree Hill
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2019, 12:14:28 AM »
Whoever the producer is on the mythical next (and probably final) U2 album, just make it sound like this one thing: Larry's drum intro on Bullet The Blue Sky. Oh, and some Edge chiming guitar stuff.

Offline u2live

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2019, 06:28:51 AM »
How about some mature pop/rock?  Enough chasing the kids

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2019, 12:04:07 AM »

I'm there too - that said i do like the last 2 albums but i feel they have kind of done that

Offline pan360

• Wanderer
  • The universe is beautiful but cold
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2019, 12:51:58 PM »

I'm there too - that said i do like the last 2 albums but i feel they have kind of done that

“…what if the disc had the sound of four musicians playing in a room?” as Ryan Tedder puts it in the interview and with him as a producer the result could be something worse than HTDAB…
« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 02:30:42 PM by pan360 »

Offline Tortuga

• Party Girl/Boy
Ryan Tedder. Again.
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2019, 05:24:59 PM »

“…what if the disc had the sound of four musicians playing in a room?” as Ryan Tedder puts it in the interview and with him as a producer the result could be something worse than HTDAB…

Just the fact that he finds the idea of “the sound of four musicians playing in a room” to be novel shows you what a different world Tedder grew up in (compared to musicians who came up in the 70s and 80s).  It also shows how far from their soul U2 have wandered to be working with that mentality.  Maybe the loss of energy on the SOE tour had as much to do with the way they work now as it does age or health.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 05:26:31 PM by Tortuga »

Offline u2live

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2019, 06:35:06 AM »

Just the fact that he finds the idea of “the sound of four musicians playing in a room” to be novel shows you what a different world Tedder grew up in (compared to musicians who came up in the 70s and 80s).  It also shows how far from their soul U2 have wandered to be working with that mentality.  Maybe the loss of energy on the SOE tour had as much to do with the way they work now as it does age or health.

I just find it funny that the band loves talking about Leonard Cohen, Dylan, Springsteen, Sinatra etc. talking about how cool and amazing they are yet keep releasing albums with producers to chase a hit..............

Offline Onob_Nosweh

• Babyface
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2019, 05:53:33 PM »
I think Nigel Godrich would be interesting. Maybe Greg Kurstin.

Offline mkselucas

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2019, 07:58:31 PM »
Hello all—

Honestly, I feel like Eno is the greatest thing that ever happened to U2. But I doubt he will ever work with them again. So I just want somebody new.

I also look forward to a different direction, but I don't know how much I believe their vows to strip it down, not over produce

Two words: Rick Rubin.

But that would require the band to (gasp!) give up control and try a different approach. As y’all probably recall, they attempted to work with Rubin in 2008 but shelved whatever work was done.

Edge said, “He gave us great advice as much as anything. His whole thing is, ‘Don’t go near the studio until you know exactly what you want to do’, which, of course, is the opposite of how we usually work.”

Maybe that’s what’s needed?

If not Rubin, then T-Bone Burnett?

Or, as someone else offered, Godrich?

matt

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
  • Will you be back tomorrow?
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2019, 12:18:26 PM »
I was hoping for a return of Eno/Lanois. And if they were to involve one of the new producers, I would prefer Andy Barlow. The magical songs in SOE were the ones produced by him. And why not a collaboration of Barlow/ Eno/ Lanois? In any case there will be more than one producers not just this Tedder guy.

I would like to see Eno and Lanois again - all depends if Bono has got the need for relevance out of his system  ::)

He won't, sigh. It's engraved into his soul. (Thanks, Bob.)

Offline Tortuga

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2019, 08:20:17 PM »
He will never quit caring about relevance but he might come to redefine it as something other than record sales and radio airplay.  I feel like a lot of artists produce some of their best work late in their careers because they come to see success as something different than they used to.

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
  • Will you be back tomorrow?
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2019, 12:54:14 PM »
I like that idea; I hope he gets to that place.

People look for different things in success - power, affirmation of self worth, etc. I think Bono is looking for the adoration of many people. Therefore, while he loves the money in the bank, it's not enough, and while he would love critical acclaimation, it's not the same as the screaming hordes of Zoo TV. Relevance is the key to that level of adoration. But that is in the past and will stay there, and he'll either have to adjust - or we'll have to watch him keep trying to cling to it.