Author Topic: A dream coming true  (Read 1600 times)

Offline adityeah

• Stranger in a Strange Land
A dream coming true
« on: November 19, 2019, 05:46:21 AM »
Hi all,

I posted here many months ago, when the tour was announced and i had to book tickets.

To give you some context: i am from India, currently living in Sydney. I have dreamt of attending a U2 concert since i was 18 (i am 38 now). I had come close to attending the concert in Philadelphia in 2010 but the tour was cancelled. That was the closest i came to watching U2 live.

This means a lot to me.

I have purchased the GA ticket for the concert in Sydney. My intention is to be the closest to the band so obviously i think i will have to queue up very early morning?

I would like to know all that i have to do and prepare for making this concert worth ending a patient 20 year wait. U2 is thankfully the only band i am mad about so i think i am willing to do anything to make this perfect. If you may have any tips or suggestions please do let me know.

Thanks,
Addie
Ps: amongst other things do you think i should be carrying a pair of ear plugs? Will it be too loud (if i do manage to get the front row)?

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
Re: A dream coming true
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2019, 07:30:31 AM »
Read GA Joe's guide to the General Admission.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I hope you enjoy the show. You deserve it.

Offline adityeah

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2019, 01:58:50 PM »
Thank you for this :-)

Is there anyone here who would be queuing up in the morning on Friday the 22nd November at Sydney for the concert? I am alone and it would be great to have company.

Offline Mr. Sarajevo 20

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2019, 08:02:26 AM »
I would assume if you show up around 2-3PM day of show you will be able to land a great spot in the GA.

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2019, 03:44:46 AM »
I would assume if you show up around 2-3PM day of show you will be able to land a great spot in the GA.

All depends what you want to see with this show - screen watching from the half way line is awesome

Offline drjako

• Stateless
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2019, 04:38:47 PM »
How did you go? Did you line up and get front row? I hope you did! Hope you had an amazing night.
I certainly did in Brisbane.

Offline summerholly

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2019, 01:48:36 AM »
How did you go? Did you line up and get front row? I hope you did! Hope you had an amazing night.

Apparently the queue on Friday night was over a kilometre long and pouring rain and was a complete shambles with people still outside at 8pm.  The venue apparently left a lot of people unable to see the band and there was problem with the screen and there was no raised stage.  However many people said that the band was brilliant and it was more the venue fault than the band.  Be interesting to hear from people who went.  I get to see them at Optus stadium so cross fingers. 
« Last Edit: November 24, 2019, 03:07:59 AM by summerholly »

Offline JaraSangASongAWeapon

• Party Girl/Boy
  • And the moon turned red over One Tree Hill
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2019, 04:11:43 AM »

Apparently the queue on Friday night was over a kilometre long and pouring rain and was a complete shambles with people still outside at 8pm.  The venue apparently left a lot of people unable to see the band and there was problem with the screen and there was no raised stage.  However many people said that the band was brilliant and it was more the venue fault than the band.  Be interesting to hear from people who went.  I get to see them at Optus stadium so cross fingers.

I entered the venue both nights around 6:30 sharp, in the GA queue. There was no issue with the wait to enter whatsoever and I was impressed by how smooth things went at the Sydney shows as far as logistics. It wasn't a kilometre and took maybe 10 minutes tops from entering the queue for GA and snaking around between the metal barriers to the ticket scanners and bag inspectors and security wand wielders. The screen issue is b.s., because those people didn't seem to know that the first 4-5 songs the screen is off and it's just the band on the tree stage. Those are the casual lookie loo fans, not real U2 fans who are sounding off to the media. If they end up in the nose bleeds or in a spot with a compromised view, well, too bad. If you really want to see the band, pony up for better seats or make sure you're in GA (which are not expensive at around $93 USD).
« Last Edit: November 24, 2019, 04:17:07 AM by JaraSangASongAWeapon »

Offline summerholly

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2019, 04:48:53 AM »

I entered the venue both nights around 6:30 sharp, in the GA queue. There was no issue with the wait to enter whatsoever and I was impressed by how smooth things went at the Sydney shows as far as logistics. It wasn't a kilometre and took maybe 10 minutes tops from entering the queue for GA and snaking around between the metal barriers to the ticket scanners and bag inspectors and security wand wielders. The screen issue is b.s., because those people didn't seem to know that the first 4-5 songs the screen is off and it's just the band on the tree stage. Those are the casual lookie loo fans, not real U2 fans who are sounding off to the media. If they end up in the nose bleeds or in a spot with a compromised view, well, too bad. If you really want to see the band, pony up for better seats or make sure you're in GA (which are not expensive at around $93 USD).

Just shows how the media loves to sensationalise the bad stuff!.  Glad that it was a good night! Cant wait to see them myself!

Offline Boba Fett

• Stateless
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2019, 02:15:41 PM »
I went to the 23 Nov (Sat night) gig.

Got the SCG around 5.30pm with isolated showers passing through the area. Not too bad really though, and I was able to get a great position just a few metres from the b-stage, right in the middle (lined up with the curve in the main screen).

Noel Gallagher started (and finished) on time. Setlist was as per all the previous shows on this tour. His solo stuff is good, but not a patch on Oasis songs, which got a great reaction from the crowd.

U2 started a touch after 8pm and really seemed 'on'. I saw them play in 2017 in San Francisco and this Sydney show blew that one out of the water. Much better set and the band played better. Bono was like a different singer - much stronger vocally and far more engaged with the crowd. The sound was pristine (although I was in the 'sweet spot'). A guy next to me had been the previous night and thought this (second) night was better.

No problems getting in or out of the venue. All in all, a great night!

Offline summerholly

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2019, 01:21:26 AM »

Got the SCG around 5.30pm with isolated showers passing through the area. Not too bad really though, and I was able to get a great position just a few metres from the b-stage, right in the middle (lined up with the curve in the main screen).

Noel Gallagher started (and finished) on time. Setlist was as per all the previous shows on this tour. His solo stuff is good, but not a patch on Oasis songs, which got a great reaction from the crowd.

U2 started a touch after 8pm and really seemed 'on'. I saw them play in 2017 in San Francisco and this Sydney show blew that one out of the water. Much better set and the band played better. Bono was like a different singer - much stronger vocally and far more engaged with the crowd. The sound was pristine (although I was in the 'sweet spot'). A guy next to me had been the previous night and thought this (second) night was better.

A friend of mine did the Sydney concert and she missed Noel because she got stuck in the line and didn't get in till the start of U2 but loved the concert although she thought the acoustics were not the best.

No problems at Optus where I saw them.  Beautiful night.  I enjoyed Noel and his band I liked his new single.  The stage was very cluttered with all U2 equipment so they were not able to spread out which was a shame.

I loved the U2 set list and the way they closed with One.  Bono's voice was fantastic and he chattered away to the audience.  The boys at the end didn't seem to want to leave the stage as they spoke about Australia. We got the feeling that they were thinking it might be their last concert in Australia.

Offline Boba Fett

• Stateless
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2019, 03:49:26 PM »

A friend of mine did the Sydney concert and she missed Noel because she got stuck in the line and didn't get in till the start of U2 but loved the concert although she thought the acoustics were not the best.

No problems at Optus where I saw them.  Beautiful night.  I enjoyed Noel and his band I liked his new single.  The stage was very cluttered with all U2 equipment so they were not able to spread out which was a shame.

I loved the U2 set list and the way they closed with One.  Bono's voice was fantastic and he chattered away to the audience.  The boys at the end didn't seem to want to leave the stage as they spoke about Australia. We got the feeling that they were thinking it might be their last concert in Australia.

Yeah, I heard mixed reports about the sound quality at the SCG. Seems if you were side on it wasn't great, but my experience on the field was that it was fantastic.

I agree on the 'last concert/tour of Australia' vibe. If they're going to leave out Australia for 10 years at a time four tours, they'll be almost 70 years old for the next time. Then again, Elton John is 72 and he's just started his Australian tour!

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2019, 03:49:27 AM »
I thought the first Sydney show was the best show of the tour. I saw both Auckland shows, Melbourne, Adelaide, Sydney 1 and Perth.

I love shows in the rain.

I loved the emotion throughout the whole show. Honestly, if people missed the start of the show because they were stuck outside they must have rocked up really late from the pub. I suppose in sydney you have to get your drinking in before 11pm...

Any stadium show, if you're in the stands the sound quality isn't going to be pristine. That's just a fact. Going to a stadium show and complaining about sound quality is the easiest post show story to write. I wish bands would never play stadiums, but they do. And they will.