Author Topic: NEW SONG - U2 release Ahisma with A.R. Rahman  (Read 2282 times)

Offline blovesu2

• Wanderer
Re: NEW SONG - U2 release Ahisma with A.R. Rahman
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2019, 04:06:19 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
U2 knocked this out in a 20min Skype call.

Ha! I think you NAILED it there! Well said.
Upon first listen I thought it was "nice", but since then I've come to realize it really is awful. I mean, the non-U2 "choir" is nice but in regards to a U2 creation this is awful. Even Coldplay could make something like this a bit "meatier"

Offline Luzita

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2019, 04:30:53 PM »
I’ve listened to it a few more times and it’s growing on me. The simplicity and calm are well aligned with the subject.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Tortuga

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2019, 08:02:03 PM »
I think its the lyrics that really are the thing that are diminishing my appreciation of U2’s recent work.  They are just so simple and cliche.

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Child of Grace
  • Don't worry, baby, it'll be alright
« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2019, 12:09:26 AM »
It's a chill enough song, and it got to #1 on the India iTunes chart, so it may just not be for the standard western U2 audience as much. I'm all for them working with new people and do a better job of appealing to cultures outside of those they've had the most success with historically. 

Offline Tortuga

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2019, 05:16:43 AM »
It's a chill enough song, and it got to #1 on the India iTunes chart, so it may just not be for the standard western U2 audience as much. I'm all for them working with new people and do a better job of appealing to cultures outside of those they've had the most success with historically.

Okay, but if that’s the case, why does it sound exactly like the kind of cliche song Coldplay would produce for its Western audience and nothing like Indian music?  The female voices are not unlike the decorative treatments Peter Gabriel and other western artists have been doing for decades.

Offline 73October

• Staring at the Sun
  • Joy is an act of defiance
« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2019, 05:38:38 AM »

Okay, but if that’s the case, why does it sound exactly like the kind of cliche song Coldplay would produce for its Western audience and nothing like Indian music?  The female voices are not unlike the decorative treatments Peter Gabriel and other western artists have been doing for decades.

I think this is U2 heading into World Music territory. Some of us Westerners might not like it.
Following the tour (and the last few tours), I can see people turning their backs on the band.  Lots of complaints about blandness and also the politicism. U2 have always been political, but not popularist. So, as popularism invades the West people slag off U2.
I'm a globalist. It must be the U2 influence. So I welcome this direction U2 are taking - they are reaching out to places where there's a following, but they've not played. Asia specially.
I'm hoping the shows in South Korea, Philippines and India go as well as the ones in Singapore went.

Offline Tortuga

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2019, 06:31:32 AM »

I think this is U2 heading into World Music territory. Some of us Westerners might not like it.
Following the tour (and the last few tours), I can see people turning their backs on the band.  Lots of complaints about blandness and also the politicism. U2 have always been political, but not popularist. So, as popularism invades the West people slag off U2.
I'm a globalist. It must be the U2 influence. So I welcome this direction U2 are taking - they are reaching out to places where there's a following, but they've not played. Asia specially.
I'm hoping the shows in South Korea, Philippines and India go as well as the ones in Singapore went.

I realize I’m repeating myself here but do you really think that song sounds like “World Music”?  I listen to a wide range of music and LOVE it when U2 goes off the beaten path.  What they have been doing the last few years is going mainstream pop. Which is why I am finding their recent music boring.

Throwing some choir voices on top of a very western song doesn’t make it World Music.  There are no Indian instruments or eastern scales or arrangements.  The lyrics are bland new age spiritual blah blah.  Its not like they are specifically related to Hinduism or Sikh or any other major Indian religion.  Just the usual 21st century watered down U2 lyrics.  Whatever happened to lyrics like SHFWILF or Wake up Deadman?

Offline blovesu2

• Wanderer
« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2019, 09:07:43 AM »
  Just the usual 21st century watered down U2 lyrics.  Whatever happened to lyrics like SHFWILF or Wake up Deadman?
[/quote]

Hear, hear!

Offline pan360

• Wanderer
  • The universe is beautiful but cold
« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2019, 12:01:43 PM »
I believe it went to No 1 in India not so much because of U2 but because of A.R. Rahman as he is very popular there. So, the goal of advertisement in India has been achieved for U2. Even though the song does not have Indian instruments or eastern scales it can be categorized as world music just because of the female voices and the refrain. If you listen to other music by A.R. Rahman, you will notice that his influence is quite obvious in the use of the piano and the mood of the song. By no means an experimental song but a decent world pop song. I don’t think U2 are becoming a world music band but I reckon more collaborations with popular world music artists in the future.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 04:51:16 AM by pan360 »

Offline cocamojoe

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #39 on: December 04, 2019, 10:03:44 PM »
The song is totally bland, blasé drivel. I get it, they wanted to do something special for India, being the first time that they’ll have ever played there; but, why not a new song also for Singapore, South Korea, and the Philippines?

Regardless, this song is laughably bad. Seriously, they’re touring their Joshua Tree album, which many take to be their magnum opus (it’s my second favorite of their canon, as I think that Achtung Baby topped JT), and this is the new song? Seriously, listen to ANY song from JT and try and tell me this new song is ontologically good.

Offline Bundang Dave

• Staring at the Sun
  • It's not what I want; it's what I need.
« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2019, 06:53:12 AM »
Regardless, this song is laughably bad. Seriously, they’re touring their Joshua Tree album, which many take to be their magnum opus (it’s my second favorite of their canon, as I think that Achtung Baby topped JT), and this is the new song? Seriously, listen to ANY song from JT and try and tell me this new song is ontologically good.

I just listened to Trip Through Your Wires, and I'm telling you that Ahimsa is ontologically good.

J/K, actually neither song is my cup of tea.

Offline mattressjedi

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #41 on: December 07, 2019, 05:02:33 PM »

I just listened to Trip Through Your Wires, and I'm telling you that Ahimsa is ontologically good.

J/K, actually neither song is my cup of tea.

Even band needs a fun, throwaway, drinking song. ITTYW is that song for U2. It's also a rare fun song for them. Ahimsa just makes me want to drink.