Author Topic: U2 in Australia, my take.  (Read 962 times)

Offline summerholly

• Headache in a Suitcase
U2 in Australia, my take.
« on: November 29, 2019, 10:02:44 PM »
Well first time ever to see U2 live.  In the past life just got in the way although I have always loved U2 them being the same age and generation as me, and me first being attracted by the echo of Edges guitar.  I don't care what guitar experts may say about The Edge his sound is genius. 

Anyway I saw them at Optus stadium with 50,000 others and although there was a bit of an echo Bono's voice was sublime and strong.  He connected with the audience and his narrative was good.  He acknowledged our terrible bush fires and the people that fight them and we all had our phones in torch mode.  He honoured the mothers of the disappeared on his knees and the women of history and today (ultraviolet light my way I think it was although not overly familiar with that song).  They played Angel of Harlem as Rattle and Hum was their biggest selling album of all in Australia and New Years Day which is my personal favourite. 

There was a full on drunken brawl in GA during Beautiful day and the Ambos were called but it was way up the back.  Anyway they were fab.  They may not have been as energetic as in the past (yep I get that too lol) but I loved it and now understand why they are the greatest touring band of all time (having U2 withdrawals). Noel f***k off Gallagher did a great job of support and I like his new single.  All in all a great night.  The boys found it hard to leave the stage at the end which left us wondering if they knew this may be the last time for them in Aus.  Gee I hope not but probably.  So glad I made the effort to travel to see them. 

There was weirdly energetic person in a yellow suit with red flashing ears at the front of GA first row that caused us to have a bit of a laugh from our seats above the stage.  People stared leaving during the encore when a new song was being played (Get out of your own way, I think) as getting out of the stadium on to public transport can be a nightmare but we stayed and were rewarded by One  another of my favourites as Bono had been talking about the One organisation.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2019, 02:19:44 AM by summerholly »

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
Re: U2 in Australia, my take.
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2019, 11:51:21 PM »
Sounds like you had a great time!

Offline Luzita

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2019, 12:45:03 PM »
So glad you finally got to see them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline summerholly

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2019, 07:11:26 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
So glad you finally got to see them!
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes I did toss it up at first as it takes a fair bit of logistics and planning and a couple of days traveling for me.  So glad I made the effort in the end.  The boys just seem to be really grounded nice people who play awesome music.  Bono highlighted women and about how he would love to see girls getting the same education opportunities as boys globally.  He talked about the One organisation and did acknowledge that sometimes people find it boring when he highlights issues in concerts but he wanted to thank people who supported their music by trying to support organisations that made a difference.  I  have only seen sections of past concerts on you tube and he certainly did not have that sort of energy ( and nor would you really expect it) and didn't bring people up on stage.  The backdrop to the concerts were good but it was a fairly simple affair which I liked.  Just the boys and their music.  Fine by me.