Author Topic: Tough night in Seoul  (Read 1298 times)

Offline Donmegawatt

• Stranger in a Strange Land
Tough night in Seoul
« on: December 08, 2019, 08:17:10 AM »
I respect U2, came with my wife to celebrate her birthday, and expected to have a nice night.

The venue had an elaborate system to handle "general admission" by cutting 9000 people into lines.
1. We were told to arrive at 4:30 ... to enter the stadium ... for a show that started at 7:00pm ???
2. Instead, we stood in a cold parking garage for 2 hours.
3. Then we were crammed into the standing area by 6:30.
4. All three girls in our group could see none of the stage and around half the screen.
5. The crowd was impatient from the wait.
6. Then, the band started 25 minutes late.
7. The acoustics and sound were not good in a metal dome.
8. It got uncomfortably hot and difficult to breathe.
9. We were packed so tight that there was no room to move or stretch.
10. By the end of the concert ... all of us were physically uncomfortable for having stood for six hours.

I've seen the energy that a Korean crowd can bring to an established act that is visiting Seoul for the first time. The participation at Coldplay's concert last year was incredible. Mumford and Sons came a few weeks ago. Great! ... A lot of that energy was lacking at this show because it had been sapped before the first song was played ... and continued to be taxed throughout the experience.

I think Bono and the band came with their best effort. However ...

I'm writing this in hopes that more reports like this trickle back to their team so they:
1. Discuss the treatment of their fans with the venues = Show a little more respect for our time.
2. Play closer to when they say they will.
3. Cut back on the greed, sell a few less tickets in the standing area so people can move, breathe, and see.
4. Choose venues that actually sound good.

Offline Gavin82

• Headache in a Suitcase
Re: Tough night in Seoul
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2019, 01:39:06 PM »
Absolutely gutted too hear your story totally different too GA in Twix in 2017 i was seated hate standing for hours n hours but it looked like  theu left half the back end of the field empty for security reasons unlike your show.

Offline scott7

• Stateless
  • and still we run, we run and don't look back
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2019, 01:44:55 PM »
so sorry to hear this - you are absolutely right to post about it - use all social media and tag u2....will watch for posts about this

Offline bonorules

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2019, 04:13:35 PM »
Sorry to hear about your experience, but this is sort of the norm now for a U2 show. Except for the overcrowding of the GA floor, all else is the same for most of the other shows.

The tour generally works with the venues to have the official line-up time for GA entry be mid-to-late afternoon to ensure that everyone is ready and as orderly as a crowd that size can be when they are ready to begin allowing people to enter the floor area.
Only 25 minutes late is actually pretty good. On the last arena tour, it wasn't unusual for the band to go on 40-45 minutes after the advertised time. Although it is their norm, the band might want to be more mindful of time when playing in a city where there might be a cultural expectation of promptness.
I've never figured out why their sound crew seems to have an issue with domed stadiums. I've never been to a show in a dome, but have heard the same sound issues complaint from other fans.
Sight-lines for GA are why I usually hang at the back of the floor when I've watched a show from that area. I've always felt it gets too hard to look around others when you are close, plus the back isn't as crowded, so there is room to mover around. If I remember correctly though about sales for this show, I think there wasn't much choice in what area you stood, right? Wasn't everyone sort of assigned a "pen" on the floor?

Offline habib2343

• Wanderer
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2019, 04:52:49 PM »
i was there last night. The band performed they best they could under challenging conditions. They were not the only ones to be under such constraints. 3hours + waiting in a cold car park waiting to be allowed in to the GA floor ? Peculiar crowd management system there.

Skydome is like an egg cut in half. Acoustics were terrible, could hear Bono's voice echoing throughout the staidum whenever he spoke. The intro - what on earth happened here ? Huge anticlimax when the speakers or turntable malfunctioned at the start of the shows. You know when the band is about to come on when the walkon music starts to play. In this case it was the Waterboys 'the whole of the moon' which started to play then stopped, then played again and then stopped. Total mood killer. Then Larry makes an appearance and the we hear Bono say 'we don't need o walk on music, we'll make the music!!!' The walkon music is hugely important, it ups the ante, the mood, the atmosphere and the anticipation that a great night is about to begin.... Disappointing lads,,,you'll never get away with such sloppiness in key markets like London or New York-its almost disrespectful to Seoul that not enough effort was put in to ensure evertyhing ran like clockwork....

The show itself was predictably brilliant, although the issues leading up to it spoiled it for me. Looked like Edge was having trouble getting Exit to sound as he wanted.

In the end, I will concur with the OP on how this gig went. I know Seoul is a new market for the band but it seemed to me hosting the show was either rushed or half assed. The band are never such lackies when they're on stage so it looks like LiveNation or their management need to look on how they manage sound and crowd issues leading up to the show....

Offline mattressjedi

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2019, 07:35:32 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I've never figured out why their sound crew seems to have an issue with domed stadiums. I've never been to a show in a dome, but have heard the same sound issues complaint from other fans.

Funny because they complained about the old Tokyo Dome aka "The Egg" all the way back on the Zoo Tv Tour. It seems to be an ongoing issue decades long.

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2019, 10:28:12 PM »

Funny because they complained about the old Tokyo Dome aka "The Egg" all the way back on the Zoo Tv Tour. It seems to be an ongoing issue decades long.

Maybe thatís why it took so long to go back?

Offline kitanet

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2019, 11:00:41 PM »
Just back in Switzerland from Asia where I experienced their first show in Singapore and I join you on point 7; the sound was a shame in our section (110).
It is really frustrating to have such problem in a u2 concert. Moreover I did invite non-fan friends to the show and honestly all the problems experienced ruined the experience.
- poor quality of sound - 3 first songs were terrible with delay on drums and bass, then a nightmare with highs (guitar + voice)
- problem with keyboard on NYD
- screen / server blackout on Exit
- another guitar issue during the JT part (donít remember the song)
I did not find a lot of people disappointed on social media, but this show just made me sad..
I donít know if there will be a 18th u2 concert for me ... letís see...

Offline cocamojoe

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2019, 06:24:55 AM »
One of my best friends lives in Seoul, and was at this show, though his experience was completely opposite of yours. His only complaint was the cold; but, beyond that, he said this was one of his favorite U2 shows (heís seen them well over 20 times). He snagged a perfect spot at the tree stage, too.

Where on the floor were yíall?

Offline summerholly

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2019, 06:35:56 AM »
I just saw them in Australia and where I was the sound was good and I enjoyed the concert, towards the end there was an echo developing.  However for some areas of the stadium apparently the sound was terrible and I noticed people starting to leave in droves after the JT album had been played.  The reports were that it was hard to even recognise what songs were being played and they couldn't hear Bono.  The GA area from where I was sitting looked to have plenty of room but a full on brawl broke out at the back and the police had to intervene.  I personally really enjoyed the concert and stayed to the end but it was a shame to watch so many people leaving early, some I guess with the new songs and others mostly because of the venue and sound.

Offline toolz2112

• Wanderer
  • they just.. sound different
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2019, 04:20:54 PM »
I saw them in Adelaide. At first, Bono's vocals were lost in the overall mix, but by the end of I Will Follow, that problem was resolved. Apart from the drunk person next to me, it was an enjoyable evening. Great sound and great view of the screen from where I was.

Offline Mr. Sarajevo 20

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2020, 07:32:21 AM »
I saw them in Adelaide. At first, Bono's vocals were lost in the overall mix, but by the end of I Will Follow, that problem was resolved. Apart from the drunk person next to me, it was an enjoyable evening. Great sound and great view of the screen from where I was.
I hate being near any drunks during a show...that is one great thing about GA.

Offline summerholly

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2020, 06:02:15 AM »
I hate being near any drunks during a show...that is one great thing about GA.

I was sitting just above GA and boy the alcohol was flowing in GA at my show.  There was a full on drunken brawl with police and an ambulance.  I was in in an alcohol free zone and some officious person checked our drinks each time but the ladies sitting next to me were knocking back the wine like there was no tomorrow, not sure how they managed that!

Offline Billy Rhythm

• Wanderer
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2020, 05:56:21 PM »
maybe it's just me but, "the alcohol was flowing" is the way it should be I would think at an Irish Rock 'n' Roll Show...  no?...  you all are startin' to make me feel guilty for lighting up a joint during 'Rainy Night in SOHO' at The Joshua Tree concert...  I would've been more discreet but I was having a conversation with my teenagers before that about how in 1987 we used lighters instead of cellphones to show our appreciation...  after I lit my bic I was confronted by a couple of stuckups who reminded me of the No-Smoking rule at the stadium...  since I was being accused of smoking when I wasn't I thought well, "hell, since I'm catchin' some flack I might as well play it up"...  one of the more memorable joints I've smoked...:-) 

Offline summerholly

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2020, 06:10:46 AM »
maybe it's just me but, "the alcohol was flowing" is the way it should be I would think at an Irish Rock 'n' Roll Show...  no?...  you all are startin' to make me feel guilty for lighting up a joint during 'Rainy Night in SOHO' at The Joshua Tree concert...  I would've been more discreet but I was having a conversation with my teenagers before that about how in 1987 we used lighters instead of cellphones to show our appreciation...  after I lit my bic I was confronted by a couple of stuckups who reminded me of the No-Smoking rule at the stadium...  since I was being accused of smoking when I wasn't I thought well, "hell, since I'm catchin' some flack I might as well play it up"...  one of the more memorable joints I've smoked...:-)

Haha no problem with flowing alcohol and joints whatever and people having fun.  It is the idiots that had a violent drunken brawl in the GA at the concert I was at that spoil it, no care as to who they hurt if they got in the way!  Some guy was knocked unconscious and carted off to hospital.  Seriously! Just a Bono was doing his spiel about memorable women of history.