Author Topic: RISE OF SKYWALKER = ALL THAT YOU CANT LEAVE BEHIND  (Read 1246 times)

Offline zooguitar

• Babyface
RISE OF SKYWALKER = ALL THAT YOU CANT LEAVE BEHIND
« on: December 18, 2019, 07:04:24 PM »
... and The Last Jedi = Pop

Discuss.  :P

Offline Billy Rhythm

• Wanderer
Re: RISE OF SKYWALKER = ALL THAT YOU CANT LEAVE BEHIND
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2019, 04:05:29 PM »
hmm...  not sure if this is just a clever way to skirt any "off-topic" boundaries but I'll bite...  comparing 'Star Wars' movies to U2 albums isn't really a valid comparison, in my opinion...  U2's tour productions would make a better comparison for they're staged with a large crew instead of a small group inside a studio making music only (cover art notwithstanding)...

for example...  everyone has differing views of the 'POP' album...  the general U2 fans dismiss it as one of their more forgettable efforts while the diehards insist on it being criminally underrated...  how can one compare this record to similiarly polarizing views of any of the 'Star Wars' movies ('Phantom Menace' is still makes my Top 3)?...

I believe what you're really after here ( :P being the "smoking gun"  ;) ) is a comparison between 'The Last Jedi' and 'Rise of Skywalker'...  a difficult undertaking for two reasons...  this a U2 forum...  and also many haven't seen the new movie yet and we don't wanna spoil this holiday treat...

I'll leave with this...  I thought that 'Rise of Skywalker' was better than 'The Last Jedi', but 'The Force Awakens' was better than both of them...  but remember, this comes from someone who really likes 'Phantom Menace'...  Daisy Ridley shone brightly...  as did just about everyone else...:-)

Offline zooguitar

• Babyface
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2019, 07:47:08 PM »
Actually, I was making an analogy that the latest Star Wars movie is an over correction (from all reports I've read; I haven't seen it yet) from perceived negative reception to the last one. I'm one of those subset of U2 fans who wishes the band would go back to their more avant-garde 90s mentality after being stuck in the Super Bowl mode for nearly 20 years.

As for Star Wars, I'm a fan of the original trilogy (which, TBH, was 2.5 great movies). I think the prequels were pretty bad, although I think there were some truly original and inventive things that Lucas was trying to do and sometimes pulled off well. But I've re-watched TFA and TLJ multiple times to give them a chance. TFA is such an uninventive Episode IV clone it is too much for me to enjoy. At least TLJ showed a new side of Luke Skywalker we hadn't seen (although Obi-Wan and Yoda had already established a fine tradition of failed Jedi teachers trying to run out the clock in truly crappy exile/retirement destinations).

I consider U2's 90s period to be when they truly became "U2" as we know them, at least in terms of musical legends. It was their Sgt Pepper/Jumpin Jack Flash moment. Pop is the very end of that period, and they've been in some variation of the ATYCLB mode ever since.

Offline Billy Rhythm

• Wanderer
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2019, 09:22:21 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I consider U2's 90s period to be when they truly became "U2" as we know them, at least in terms of musical legends. It was their Sgt Pepper/Jumpin Jack Flash moment. Pop is the very end of that period, and they've been in some variation of the ATYCLB mode ever since.

The Beatles comparisons (very few bands warrent them) are certainly more palpable than 'Star Wars' talk, that's for sure...  had The Beatles carried on into the 70's they too likely would've been stuck in "ATYCLB mode" as well...  trouble for me is that I'm not really that big on U2's albums vs. their live recordings...  my first U2 record was 'Under A Blood Red Sky' and it ruined 'War' for me forever...  Larry even said on Canada's MTV equivalent MuchMusic back in 1987/88:  "we are a great live band but I don't think that we're great in the studio yet" ...  it's fair to say that they achieved "great studio band" status with 'Achtung, Baby'/'Zooropa', but I still very rarely listen to the 90's albums either...  I'd much prefer to hear 'ZooTV Atlanta', 'PopMart San Diego' or, 'Joshua Tree Vancouver' any day...  funnily enough, 'Songs of Experience' is literally the only studio album of theirs that I listen to over the concert recordings...:-)

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2019, 12:24:11 AM »
I saw it today. It's nostalgic, contrived in parts, cynical, and a marketers dream, be that video games or Lego sets.

I absolutely loved it. It was brilliant, emotional, visually stunning...

Amazing.

Offline SwimmingSorrows

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • Some folks are bound for glory, I was Born to Hang
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2020, 10:49:49 PM »
Last Jedi and POP is a good comparison.  I can see the comparison between Rise of Skywalker and ATYCLB too, but I think doing that is harsh on ATYCLB.  That was at least a new direction and didn't directly sh** on POP like Rise of Skywalker does.

Rise of Skywalker felt like the Sparknotes version of a movie I might have liked.  Hardly any character moments, just rushed plot development after rushed plot development.  Also bringing back the emperor was a bad idea.