Author Topic: How the Band Came Up With "Pride"chec In that Soundcheck  (Read 250 times)

Offline royfan

• Stranger in a Strange Land
How the Band Came Up With "Pride"chec In that Soundcheck
« on: December 24, 2019, 10:36:54 PM »
Hey everyone - I always how the band comes up with some of their songs

I've heard 2 versions on how "Pride" came to be.

I know Adam,Edge, and Larry came up with the main bass/guitar riff in a sound check. But was wondering if anyone else knew for sure.

One version I  heard was that Larry and Adam just starting jamming on bass and drums, Adam playing those bass changes, and Edge than played the guitar part on top.

And then also heard a version that Edge was playing a chord progression , and then Adam either on purpose or by accident followed but then changed one or of the notes and then that worked better.

I'm more inclined to think the first version is right because

1) lots of other U2 songs, especially earlier albums had a bass part by Adam, that Edge then played on top if ("Gloria", "New Years Day" etc"')

2) Edge's riff doesn't really define a chord progression as such, it's just a 2 string/note riff, so I can't see how the actual root note of a chord progression would be defined by his playing..

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
Re: How the Band Came Up With "Pride"chec In that Soundcheck
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2019, 11:13:11 AM »
I believe there are two mixes of Pride out there according to u2songs.com

Pride (In the Name of Love) (Extended Single Version) - U2 (04:42)
Pride (In the Name of Love) (Studio Version) - U2 (03:50)

The main riff was created at a soundcheck in Hawaii.

If you watch the Making of the Unforgettable Fire documentary you can watch them record Pride at Slane and Windmill.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Don't even bother trying to understand the song without a solid grounding in understanding guitar delay.

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
Re: How the Band Came Up With "Pride"chec In that Soundcheck
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2019, 11:18:57 AM »
I wasn't at the soundcheck in 1983 but what I am imagine happened was that Edge created something first and they built the track from the delay down. Pride is really interesting and intricate on guitar and Adam's bass root notes less so and more accommodating. You would have to be really good guitarist to pull that track off as a tribute artist.