Author Topic: The Stadium Tour  (Read 1462 times)

Offline kevtn43

• Intellectual Tortoise
The Stadium Tour
« on: January 03, 2020, 02:13:17 PM »
Thereís going to be a stadium tour this summer Motley Crue,Def Leppard,Poison, and the opening band is Joan Jett and the black hearts. Iím super excited about this tour Iím going to try and see the Nashville show anyone else going to see this?

Offline SwimmingSorrows

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • Some folks are bound for glory, I was Born to Hang
Re: The Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2020, 10:52:31 PM »
Besides Joan Jett, this sounds like agony.

Offline kevtn43

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2020, 04:26:27 PM »
I donít know if I would have chosen Joan Jett I would have tried to get Sabastian Bach solo band they are playing the first skid row album from beginning to end

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2020, 08:13:32 AM »
Well you know, Gender Equity. I wouldn't go to this either.

Offline Billy Rhythm

• Wanderer
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2020, 11:19:46 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
have to agree...  Joan Jett's rippin'...  but the rest?...  no comment...  smart business move though...  all of these acts would struggle to sell out an arena nowadays but making it a big stadium event where thousands of followers for each one unite to rock it out?...  I think it'll do well and be a good time for many...  but I'd leave promptedly after Joan Jett myself...:-)

Offline SwimmingSorrows

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2020, 02:13:44 PM »
have to agree...  Joan Jett's rippin'...  but the rest?...  no comment...  smart business move though...  all of these acts would struggle to sell out an arena nowadays but making it a big stadium event where thousands of followers for each one unite to rock it out?...  I think it'll do well and be a good time for many...  but I'd leave promptedly after Joan Jett myself...:-)

Yeah, good business decision.  In addition to fans who love one of them enough to see them and also wouldn't mind seeing the other two, I bet there are a lot of fans who wouldn't bother to see any of them individually but would be willing to pay for a "buy 1, get 2 free" deal. 

I might stay after Joan Jett to laugh at Motley Crue.  I've seen a recent live performance on youtube and... oh boy lol

Offline Jarasang

• Babyface
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2020, 08:30:56 AM »

Actually Def Leppard has been routinely touring arenas for a long time, and doing pretty well at it, and they are still a great live band.

I won't go to a stadium for anyone though. 

Offline Billy Rhythm

• Wanderer
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2020, 04:29:26 PM »

Actually Def Leppard has been routinely touring arenas for a long time, and doing pretty well at it, and they are still a great live band.

How many of the impressive sales from the 2018 Tour were due to Journey being on the bill?...  they ain't no Ca$h Cow on their own and one could argue that they never really were...  how many of today's younger generation can even name one of their songs?  or, even the title of one of their albums?...  they don't sell many tickets without piggybacking on someone else's following...  I admit that I've never actually listened to any of their live recordings (nor do I want to) but their studio tracks are laced with over-processing, in my opinion...  'Pyromania' & 'Hysteria' are solid rock albums but very dated...  even then you have a mix of the hits scattered amongst a lot of filler...  I do have tremendous respect for them sticking with it through the adversity that they've had to face throughout their career, but it doesn't make up for their shortcomings musically...:-)

Offline SwimmingSorrows

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2020, 10:50:30 AM »

How many of the impressive sales from the 2018 Tour were due to Journey being on the bill?...  they ain't no Ca$h Cow on their own and one could argue that they never really were...  how many of today's younger generation can even name one of their songs?  or, even the title of one of their albums?...  they don't sell many tickets without piggybacking on someone else's following...  I admit that I've never actually listened to any of their live recordings (nor do I want to) but their studio tracks are laced with over-processing, in my opinion...  'Pyromania' & 'Hysteria' are solid rock albums but very dated...  even then you have a mix of the hits scattered amongst a lot of filler...  I do have tremendous respect for them sticking with it through the adversity that they've had to face throughout their career, but it doesn't make up for their shortcomings musically...:-)

As a member of the younger generation, I'll say most people know Pour Some Sugar On Me but have no idea who it's by.  May have heard Photograph on the radio in GTA5 too.

Offline Jarasang

• Babyface
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2020, 04:03:55 PM »

How many of the impressive sales from the 2018 Tour were due to Journey being on the bill?... 

Probably not as many, don't know for sure, the show I went to there were way more Leppard fans in attendance.

They've been on the arena circuit way back longer than just 2018.

they ain't no Ca$h Cow on their own and one could argue that they never really were...

Hahahahaha......over 100M records sold. Yeah, they were never a cash cow.....

how many of today's younger generation can even name one of their songs?  or, even the title of one of their albums?... 

No idea. Does it matter ? Like U2, their audience is older mainly.

they don't sell many tickets without piggybacking on someone else's following...

Wrong. Just wrong.

but it doesn't make up for their shortcomings musically...:-)

Each to their own, I saw 2 shows of their 12 show residency in vegas last year, they are strong musicians playing high energy live shows and have a strong catalog.

Oh and their last studio album is miles better than the drivel on SOE.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 04:05:53 PM by Jarasang »

Offline Billy Rhythm

• Wanderer
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2020, 06:26:12 AM »
you're talking albums and record sales...  this does not equate to them being a strong live draw on their own, which they are not...:-)

Offline Jarasang

• Babyface
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2020, 09:08:47 AM »
you're talking albums and record sales...  this does not equate to them being a strong live draw on their own, which they are not...:-)

So I guess the filled arenas (or amphitheaters in Summer) are because of the opening bands ?

Riiiigggggghhhhhhtttt.........

Offline Billy Rhythm

• Wanderer
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2020, 09:28:36 AM »

So I guess the filled arenas (or amphitheaters in Summer) are because of the opening bands ?

all right...  since you're now onto the live discussion...  a 7,000 theatre in Vegas isn't a "filled arena"...  they need Journey for that...  there's a reason they didn't play the 19,000+ arena nearby...  so, getting back to the thread topic of 'The Stadium Tour'...  Def Leppard?...  "Riiiigggggghhhhhhtttt"...:-)

Offline Jarasang

• Babyface
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2020, 10:08:18 AM »

all right...  since you're now onto the live discussion...  a 7,000 theatre in Vegas isn't a "filled arena"...  they need Journey for that...  there's a reason they didn't play the 19,000+ arena nearby...  so, getting back to the thread topic of 'The Stadium Tour'...  Def Leppard?...  "Riiiigggggghhhhhhtttt"...:-)

Oh please at least get some facts.

Are you talking about the Vegas residency ? 12 shows x 7,000 = 84,000

there was NO OPENING BAND for that.

I'd put the Leppard/Journey fans at the Forum show I saw to be around 80/20 Leppard/Journey, there's always going to be some overlap in that fan base.

Leppard is NOT an act who can sell out a stadium on their own, even if they were I wouldn't go. No one is good in a stadium.