Author Topic: U2 2020-2030  (Read 3146 times)

Offline habib2343

• Stateless
Re: U2 2020-2030
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2020, 03:15:27 PM »
I think as the band approaches 60, I think we are hoping in vain for another artistic masterpiece  or shift like joshua tree or achtung baby. I expect the next U2 album (if there is one ) to be met with the tepid response of at least the last three. Bono will hype it as the best album  since music was first put to tape but it will be met with  a meh response from the wider public. U2 fans, such as ourselves,  will think its the best thing since slice bread, but it won't caputre the public imagination like JT and AB, generally accepted as their most accessible albums.

I don't expect them to engage in another marketing gimmick as with the release of Songs of Innocence. They will want continue to preserve the music juggernaut they have built over the last four decades-crusing down main street. That said it would be interesting to know the SOI and SOE official physical sales since their respective releases. I suspect this motivated the JT tour revival.

. I know the industry now counts downloads and streams  as the equivalent of one physical album sold but with the very nature of streams and downloads, those figures can easily be distorted and manipulated to be higher ( or lower) than they actually are.

Of course I could be wrong and they end up producing another standout album to sit proudly among the two peaks of their career- the joshua tree and achtung baby. But realistically the odds are stacked against them. I'm not being pessimistic but being realistic.  I expect the band to announce a AB30 retrospective tour of some sort..maybe not as big as JT30 but some acknowledgement in the next 12-18 months.   Another box set will follow  but this will be the most comprehensive of their career covering every b side and outakes from 1976 along with a re-release of the best of compilations they released.

now excuse me iim going to least to exit-acrobat-bullet the blue sky-until the end of the world medley before bed...

Offline Tortuga

• Party Girl/Boy
U2 2020-2030
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2020, 05:41:27 PM »
I really enjoyed all the albums before JT and AB.  Except for NYD and a few tracks off UF I don’t think you could say any of those captured the interest of the wider public.  I don’t think expectations need to be set so high.  I would be happy with anything equal to their past catalog, with the exception of HTDAAB, SOI, and SOE.  Those are the only albums I really found disappointing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 05:43:25 PM by Tortuga »

Offline habib2343

• Stateless
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2020, 02:53:18 PM »
We shouldn't overlook the commerical aspect of whatever is left of U2 as a going concern. If I was LiveNation, I would think it is unlikely at this stage that the returns of any new material will be minimal at best.-what were the official SOI and SOE sales figures - how many physical albums were sold worldwide - a few million at best ? i don't count the Apple downloads of SOI as that was forced on people who didnt willingly buy a new u2 album.

Thats way below U2 at their peak from late 80#s to early 00's. I would be thinking what could the band do that would line my company's coffers to the max ? The answer is of course an AB30 anniversary tour. They will leave enough time for people to miss them before launching another tour as we've just come to an end of five years of U2 live..they need a break and so do we. Don't leave it too late and I'm not too sure about the idea of Bono in leather pants in his 60's recalling The Fly, they have to pull it off convincingly, with dignity and without coming across as too despearate and immersed in nostalgia -something Bono rebelled against in his lyrics.

Still like the U2 sheep i am, i will lap up any compilation/tour/album come's our way before its all over...

Offline Tortuga

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2020, 03:20:40 PM »
I wish they would totally overlook the commercial aspect and create some good art. 

Offline habib2343

• Stateless
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2020, 03:31:27 PM »
yes but they and their families have lifestyles to maintain which i think will override the pursuit of good experimental art. They did that in the mid 90's with the lacklustre reception to Passengers and Popmart . They pushed the boat out too far and have by and large played it safe over the last 20 years. If they could maintain their current lifestyles ( millions in the bank, homes all over the world etc ) and pursue their art, they would, but they are also business men as well as rockstars..

I hope im wrong--i enjoyed passengers, the millon dollar hotel soundtrack and the Pop era.  As much as they try to deny it, they are slowly but surely embracing nostalgia but they will go into the graveyard of rock kicking and screaming, rather then reluctance and acceptance, if only we could stay young and invincible forever...

Offline Billy Rhythm

• Wanderer
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2020, 03:54:41 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
if only we could stay young and invincible forever...

The Beatles & Abba have...  because they knew when to call it a night...:-)

Offline Tortuga

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2020, 07:31:11 PM »
yes but they and their families have lifestyles to maintain which i think will override the pursuit of good experimental art. They did that in the mid 90's with the lacklustre reception to Passengers and Popmart . They pushed the boat out too far and have by and large played it safe over the last 20 years. If they could maintain their current lifestyles ( millions in the bank, homes all over the world etc ) and pursue their art, they would, but they are also business men as well as rockstars..

I hope im wrong--i enjoyed passengers, the millon dollar hotel soundtrack and the Pop era.  As much as they try to deny it, they are slowly but surely embracing nostalgia but they will go into the graveyard of rock kicking and screaming, rather then reluctance and acceptance, if only we could stay young and invincible forever...

They have more than enough money to maintain their lifestyle’s. I don’t think that’s what they are worried about.  It’s the desire to remain relevant.

Offline Tortuga

• Party Girl/Boy
U2 2020-2030
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2020, 07:32:40 PM »

You mean they gave up and quit.  Quitting is their legacy.  This idea that you should quit if you can’t do as well as your best work is ridiculous.  U2 made a lot of great music before they peaked in late 80s/early 90s and they’ve made a lot of good music since then.

I would argue that the Beatles never quit, they just went in different directions.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 07:36:20 PM by Tortuga »

Offline Billy Rhythm

• Wanderer
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2020, 08:36:59 PM »

You mean they gave up and quit.
No...  that's your own interpretation...  when people think of The Beatles they don't think of Paul McCartney vomitting out the chorus to 'Sgt. Pepper' in his 70's, or Ringo half-heartedly grinning onstage while someone else plays the drums in 2020...  they think of The Beatles, as they were and always will be...  Their Legacy is 4-Ever cemented...  their final album together is their most successful, commercially and artistically...:-)

Offline Tortuga

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2020, 10:14:05 PM »
Wow.  The 1.4 million people that watched him “vomit” up Sgt Peppers on his 2016-2017 tour at age 74 might disagree with you.  Did you even listen to Egypt Station to see what someone can create in their 70s?

Offline Billy Rhythm

• Wanderer
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2020, 12:09:28 AM »
Did you even listen to Egypt Station to see what someone can create in their 70s?

yes...  and it's crap...  hard to believe that this is the same person who wrote classics like 'Eleanor Rigby'...  Paul lost his pension for writing decades ago, and even then his gems were few and far between...  if his name weren't Paul McCartney he would've faded after his second solo album and been relieved of his recording contract...  all of The Beatles' solo works show flashes of their former brilliance together but the quality of their recordings have steadily declined almost immediately since disbanding...  breaking up when they did was one of the best moves that they ever made...:-)

Offline Tortuga

• Party Girl/Boy
U2 2020-2030
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2020, 06:16:12 AM »
Did you even listen to Egypt Station to see what someone can create in their 70s?

yes...  and it's crap...  hard to believe that this is the same person who wrote classics like 'Eleanor Rigby'...  Paul lost his pension for writing decades ago, and even then his gems were few and far between...  if his name weren't Paul McCartney he would've faded after his second solo album and been relieved of his recording contract...  all of The Beatles' solo works show flashes of their former brilliance together but the quality of their recordings have steadily declined almost immediately since disbanding...  breaking up when they did was one of the best moves that they ever made...:-)

Of course you did, five times with an open mind, right?  Do you really expect that once an artist writes an Eleanor Rigby, that they can keep creating additional Eleanor Rigby after Eleanor Rigby?  And if they can’t they should just hang it up?  An artist writes potentially hundreds of songs over their career.  What are the odds their last one will be their best?  And why on earth would the people not want pretty good better than average music from someone just because they wrote some unbelievably good stuff on their prior album?

Glad artists don’t listen to you because I enjoyed Egypt Station thoroughly.  So did lots of other people.

Most critics would disagree with you that its crap.

Professional ratings
Aggregate scores
SourceRating
Metacritic74/100[13]
Review scores
SourceRating
AllMusic3.5/5 stars[14]
The Guardian4/5 stars[15]
NME4/5 stars[16]
The Observer4/5 stars[17]
Pitchfork5.8/10[18]
Rolling Stone4/5 stars[19]
Slant Magazine2.5/5 stars[20]

Egypt Station has been well received by music critics. On Metacritic, the album has an overall score of 74 out of 100 compiled from the scores of 25 music critics, indicating "generally favourable reviews".[13]

In the review for AllMusic, Stephen Thomas Erlewine opined that "all the slower songs are peppered with haunting images of darkness creeping at the edges, while McCartney revives the carnality that marked 'Press' – not just on the straightforward 'Fuh You,' but 'Come on to Me,' a considerably better song than the Tedder exercise. Such twists are welcome, but what's satisfying about Egypt Station is what's always satisfying about a McCartney record: the hooks and imagination that are so rampant they seem effortless."[14] Dan Stubbs from NME gave the album 4 out of 5 stars, saying, "McCartney’s always been about inclusivity and openness, but this latest glimpse into his life feels like a particularly enlightening one."[16] Reviewing the album for The Observer, Kitty Empire also gave the album 4 out of 5 stars. In the review she states that "the finest songs here land immediately and hum with urgency."[17]

Writing a four-star review in Rolling Stone, Rob Sheffield claimed, "Make a list of all the songwriters who were composing great tunes in 1958. Now make an overlapping list of the ones who are still writing brilliant songs in 2018. Your list reads: Paul McCartney."[19] Chris Willman at Variety stated, "If it doesn't make for McCartney's most coherent collection, it's endearing how enthusiastically he strives, at 76, to avoid doing just one thing when he can do a dozen. b****, he's Macca."[21]

ClassicRockHistory wrote in their review of the album, "This is great songwriting; it’s pop perfection. If we were living in the era in which radio used to play music other than hip hop and rap, these new Paul McCartney songs would become staples of pop culture like so many of the Beatles classics did. However, times have changed and so sadly these great records can get lost."[22]

In 2019, Egypt Station was nominated for the Fryderyk Music Award for the best foreign album of 2018, but did not win, losing the award to Anthem of the Peaceful Army by Greta Van Fleet.[23]
« Last Edit: January 25, 2020, 06:35:07 AM by Tortuga »

Offline Billy Rhythm

• Wanderer
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2020, 11:59:07 AM »
you obviously put more stock into what the critics say than I do, but at the end of the day their opinions don't mean anymore than yours or mine...  doesn't change the sound comin' outta the speakers for my ears...  getting back to U2 now, yes they should seriously consider retiring and ending on a higher note, in my opinion...  never heard of "the Fryderyk Music Award" (which he didn't even win?!) before, but then again I pay about as much attention to Awards Shows as I do Reviews...  I make my own opinions...:-)

Offline Tortuga

• Party Girl/Boy
U2 2020-2030
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2020, 04:39:11 PM »
you obviously put more stock into what the critics say than I do, but at the end of the day their opinions don't mean anymore than yours or mine...  doesn't change the sound comin' outta the speakers for my ears...  getting back to U2 now, yes they should seriously consider retiring and ending on a higher note, in my opinion...  never heard of "the Fryderyk Music Award" (which he didn't even win?!) before, but then again I pay about as much attention to Awards Shows as I do Reviews...  I make my own opinions...:-)

Again you miss my point.  As long as there are people enjoying U2’s or Paul McCartney’s music why should they quit?  It shouldn’t bother you if they make music other people like just because you don’t like it.

I came back to edit my own post.  An artist should keep making music as long as THEY enjoy it, whether anyone else does or not.  True artists create because its in their soul, not for some ego trip of being a legend.

Instead of romanticizing someone going out on top like James Dean, I’d rather aspire to be the person who keeps on going as long as they feel the desire.  Rock N’ Roll is not about beauty and perfection.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2020, 05:02:21 PM by Tortuga »

Offline Boba Fett

• Stateless
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2020, 08:23:03 PM »
They have never done this.

I wish they would totally overlook the commercial aspect and create some good art.