Author Topic: U2 2020-2030  (Read 2725 times)

Offline Tortuga

• Party Girl/Boy
U2 2020-2030
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2020, 12:02:18 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
They have never done this.

I wish they would totally overlook the commercial aspect and create some good art. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They did it all the way from Boy to Pop.

Now, like some others, they are too worried about their legacy and they have defined a successful legacy as huge commercial success.  And they have decided that commercial success comes from trying to sound like the mainstream, which ironically is the opposite of what made them commercially successful in the first place.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2020, 06:22:33 AM by Tortuga »

Offline Boba Fett

• Stateless
Re: U2 2020-2030
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2020, 02:10:02 PM »

I wish they would totally overlook the commercial aspect and create some good art. 

Now, like some others, they are too worried about their legacy and they have defined a successful legacy as huge commercial success.  And they have decided that commercial success comes from trying to sound like the mainstream, which ironically is the opposite of what made them commercially successful in the first place.

Nope. Pretty much everything they did, right from the start, was done with the aim of selling as many albums as possible and as many concert tickets as possible. Along the way they managed to create some great art. But to pretend it was all about the art at ANY point in their career is just silly. And just to be clear, I don't have the slightest problem with that approach. I personally think they succeeded on both aims - and congratulations to them for doing so!

Offline Tortuga

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2020, 03:42:18 PM »

Nope. Pretty much everything they did, right from the start, was done with the aim of selling as many albums as possible and as many concert tickets as possible. Along the way they managed to create some great art. But to pretend it was all about the art at ANY point in their career is just silly. And just to be clear, I don't have the slightest problem with that approach. I personally think they succeeded on both aims - and congratulations to them for doing so!

I think in the early years they were conscious of it and were making compromises but they often sacrificed commercial viability for vision.  If not you never would have had an album like UF or Pop. 

Offline truthsfate

• Babyface
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2020, 08:31:58 PM »
To me it's more a matter of what I would call the artists' prerogative. The whole notion of a pre-determined legacy is a bit pretentious. Any artist in any medium may have a time when their work resonates with a general audience whether it be at the beginning, middle, or end of their career.

An artist creates for the sake of the art, no matter if it's for commercial or personal satisfaction. There is no debt owed, nor is there any obligation.

It's a gift to us if an artist creates something that resonates and holds meaning..

It's definitely human nature to attach our own fears and desires upon others. It's ok to feel something and have an opinion. But to expect something is dangerous.

U2 should do whatever it is they desire to do, or not to do. It's us, the fans, the critics, who ultimately determine a how their legacy will evolve, only by how we remember them, and how we pass it along to future generations.

I personally hope U2 continues to create new art, whether it be music, or tours, or both.   

Offline Tortuga

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2020, 01:11:33 PM »
Im with you truthsfate.

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
  • Will you be back tomorrow?
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2020, 05:17:15 PM »
Speaking for myself, if U2 want to make another album, I would like for them to do it.

I don't want to be disappointed. True, a crappy album does not erase great work. Still, I don't want to feel disappointed in them.

They disappointed me once, with Bomb. But I am very happy with what followed. No, not every song, but I am wowed by several songs from each album. Yes, wowed. My life is better for having them. I feel sure they can make more.

I got a kick out of Egypt Station. I think the world is better for having that album than not. It's not Sgt Pepper but it's enjoyable. He makes music that makes people smile, that's our Paul.

Offline Tortuga

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2020, 05:52:38 PM »
McCartney was better with Lennon but the world is better with his solo work than without it.  I love my Wings albums.  They are good fun pop music.  You would think the world might have had enough of that kind of music but there is never too much.  And whats wrong with that?

Offline Luzita

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2020, 03:43:26 PM »
To me it's more a matter of what I would call the artists' prerogative. The whole notion of a pre-determined legacy is a bit pretentious. Any artist in any medium may have a time when their work resonates with a general audience whether it be at the beginning, middle, or end of their career.

An artist creates for the sake of the art, no matter if it's for commercial or personal satisfaction. There is no debt owed, nor is there any obligation.

It's a gift to us if an artist creates something that resonates and holds meaning..

It's definitely human nature to attach our own fears and desires upon others. It's ok to feel something and have an opinion. But to expect something is dangerous.

U2 should do whatever it is they desire to do, or not to do. It's us, the fans, the critics, who ultimately determine a how their legacy will evolve, only by how we remember them, and how we pass it along to future generations.

I personally hope U2 continues to create new art, whether it be music, or tours, or both.   

Absolutely agree

Offline 13

• Babyface
  • The heart is a bloom.
« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2020, 10:19:04 AM »

Absolutely agree

Me too.

I think their legacy is secure. I'm curious to see what they've still got in them, myself.

Offline 73October

• Staring at the Sun
  • Joy is an act of defiance
« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2020, 04:14:58 AM »
The 'Let Your Love Be Known' video clip has certainly got people talking. For good or bad.
There's a whole group of people saying the song has potential....Will.i.am, Jennifer Hudson and others have gotten involved #SINGFORLIFE.
There are also the usual 'sanctimonious' Bono comments.
It's certainly got people talking and watching the clip (OK it was written within the hour and there may have been a few St Patrick's drinks involved).
I don't know if it would have generated the level of interest if it wasn't Bono.

Personally, I like the song and as an off the cuff attempt in challenging times, it is pretty good.