Author Topic: All-time Best Super Bowl Half Time Shows  (Read 475 times)

Offline goldtoad

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down
All-time Best Super Bowl Half Time Shows
« on: January 30, 2020, 09:30:52 PM »
This is the time of year when U2 fans remember one of the top two best Super Bowl half time shows. 
With out a doubt, I think U2 in 2002 and Prince in 2007 were the best two best Super Bowl half time shows. 

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
Re: All-time Best Super Bowl Half Time Shows
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2020, 09:55:13 PM »
U2s show will always be top I think due to the timing (and also their reading of the situation)

Offline SwimmingSorrows

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • Some folks are bound for glory, I was Born to Hang
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2020, 10:52:23 AM »
They are the only band who could have pulled that off.  Only band ever.

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2020, 02:54:51 PM »
It's a U2 forum. I reckon U2s performance will be popular here

Offline Billy Rhythm

• Wanderer
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2020, 04:30:59 PM »
It's a U2 forum. I reckon U2s performance will be popular here
well...  I've yet to actually see U2's performance (or any other's for that matter) myself personally...  I'm not a big fan of the Super Bowl Spectacle...  for starters the game itself is a joke...  it's NOT football...  the vast majority of the planet has a different definition for the game "football"...  how often do they even use their feet anyway?...  I personally call it Hide The Hamster...  anybody talking about the Super Bowl afterwards are usually going on about the commercials and the halftime show (a longer commercial, in my opinion), or, gulp...  this year Donald Chump...  I put it into the same bin as the Grammies, Oscars, or whichever your favourite overblown TV Show is...  I'm not all that gungho that U2 actually stooped to this nonsense which is probably why I haven't gone outta my way to view it...  atleast having the Worst President Ever stealing the spotlight is somewhat fitting with this fakery of an event...  I can think of infinitely better excuses to get drunk, but that's just me...:-) 

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2020, 11:27:13 PM »
OK. You've not seen any superbowl half time performances.

Fair enough.

Definitely seems the thread for you!

Offline goldtoad

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2020, 10:27:32 AM »
One thing I am pretty sure of... The last two Super Bowl halftime shows don't belong in any top ten lists.  Last year, Adam Levine's performance looked like he was auditioning to be Chippendale's dancer.  Then this year, Shakira and Jennifer Lopez decided to continue the stripper theme and actually included a stripper pole  :)

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2020, 05:30:00 PM »
This year's performance was certainly...energetic.  I agree that their stripper theme was unnecessary and overdone.  I think the statement about Puerto Rico and children in cages was well-thought-out and received.

Offline goldtoad

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2020, 03:15:36 PM »
This year's performance was certainly...energetic.  I agree that their stripper theme was unnecessary and overdone.  I think the statement about Puerto Rico and children in cages was well-thought-out and received.

Yeah, I wasn't complaining... As you said, it was energetic and it was an entertaining show... and the goal of the halftime show is to be entertaining.   

U2 had a tougher job than any of the other performers because it was only a little over four months after September 11, 2001.  They did a great job of being entertaining and uplifting and remembering the lives lost in the terrorist attacks.  U2 has it haters and I know some people didn't get it... People who aren't U2 fans don't know that the three songs they played are basically rock hymns (Beautiful Day, MLK, Streets).  So, it is good to see their performance near the top of many of so many top 10 lists.

Offline Jarasang

• Babyface
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2020, 08:11:52 AM »
U2 and Prince were the only 2 decent half time shows I can remember.

Everything else has been awful.

Offline Billy Rhythm

• Wanderer
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2020, 10:32:54 AM »
the three songs they played are basically rock hymns (Beautiful Day, MLK, Streets)
were these the only songs played?...  shocked that 'Walk On' wasn't played, especially in the wake of 9/11...:-)

Offline goldtoad

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2020, 11:08:37 AM »
the three songs they played are basically rock hymns (Beautiful Day, MLK, Streets)
were these the only songs played?...  shocked that 'Walk On' wasn't played, especially in the wake of 9/11...:-)

"Walk On" did seem to be U2's message to New York in their shows there only a few weeks after the terrorist attacks.  They let the fire fighters and police officers up on stage when they play it.  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Super Bowl performers only have about 12 minutes, so U2 decided to use that time to celebrate overcoming grief thru love and remember those lost during Streets.  Before Streets started, Bono prayed from Psalm 51.15 "Lord, open my lips, and my mouth will declare Your praise" and then during Streets he added "your going to a place where there is no sorrow or pain... where the streets have no name".   You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2020, 05:34:53 PM »
U2's half-time performance is astonishingly beautiful.