Author Topic: U2 Album Rankings (2020)  (Read 2031 times)

Offline zoo adam

• Intellectual Tortoise
Re: U2 Album Rankings (2020)
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2020, 02:03:00 PM »
R & H was a huge seller. Record shops opening at 1 minute past midnight, as happened with TJT. McGuinness, Bono, Edge & Adam were at HMV in Dublin.

U2 could have done what Simple Minds had done a year earlier. Released a double live album while fans waited 4 years for the follow up to 'Once Upon a Time'.

However U2 were riding high & had enough in the tank to do more. TJT tour quickly changed to the Lovetown tour & didn't stop until the end of 1989. 

Offline Vox

• Running to Stand Still
  • Time is irrelevant, it's not linear.
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2020, 01:50:55 PM »
Rattle and Hum was the first U2 album I bought immediately when it came out.  And I wore out that cassette.  But after Achtung Baby, I didn't go back very often.  It's not the U2 sound I instinctually gravitate toward.  However, a few summers ago I started spinning a few tracks from it again, after a chance encounter with "Hawkmoon" on the car radio as a thunderstorm was moving in.  Some of the stuff from the album that I used to dismiss is (at the very least) interesting, if not downright outstanding -- all the way down to a lot of the B-sides, which I listened to for the first time.

Sitting here in the year 2020 and looking back, I'm glad U2 went through this phase.  It's a bit difficult to rank in my U2antheon because of its half-live nature.   

Offline zoo adam

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2020, 03:02:33 PM »
'Under a Blood Red Sky' was a live album & video. Nothing was needed after TUF. Fans were not going anywhere after Live Aid .

In 1988, U2 were huge & still quick song writers. A double live/studio album came out & cinema film.

Would have liked a couple more good studio songs. U2 could then say it wasn't a stop gap & there is an album's worth of new songs.

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2020, 10:31:53 PM »
My U2 album rankings are highly idiosyncratic and personal.  Most people will probably not relate, but my favorite albums are "October" and "NLOTH".  They just seem to capture a spirit of searching in a way that I connect to at a deep level.  I would say that "NLOTH" is a more mature rendering of many of the themes on "October".

Offline Billy Rhythm

• Wanderer
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2020, 01:40:24 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
In 1988, U2 were huge & still quick song writers. A double live/studio album came out & cinema film.

Would have liked a couple more good studio songs. U2 could then say it wasn't a stop gap & there is an album's worth of new songs.

"there is an album's worth of new songs" there but someone decided to stretch it out over 2 discs...  the band turned into a Ca$h Cow after 'The Joshua Tree's success...  making 'Rattle & Hum' a double album is a joke...  what is there?  3 songs on Side 4?...  I mean, 'All I Want Is You' is a long track, but not THAT long...  I guess the epic length of both 'Freedom For My People' & 'Star Spangled Banner' (not even U2 recordings!) pushed the running time over the top lol...  'Rattle & Hum' wreaks of a hastily thrown together project to cash in on 'The Joshua Tree' before it became yesterday's news...  the film is the album's saving grace for it outclasses it by a country mile...:-)

Offline zoo adam

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2020, 09:47:32 PM »
R & H had 9 new studio songs. Less than Zooropa.

'Silver & Gold' was not a well known song. They may say a live version of this counts as a new song. The live covers & alternative version of ISHFWILF could be said to be new songs 

Offline Billy Rhythm

• Wanderer
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2020, 02:20:42 PM »
'Silver & Gold' was not a well known song. They may say a live version of this counts as a new song

unfortunately, Bono ruins this otherwise solid live take with his yapping...  I'm thinking that many of those who hadn't heard it before this release weren't all that impressed with it...  too bad because the other versions ('Sun City' & the B-Side) are rippin', including Bono's vocals...

The live covers & alternative version of ISHFWILF could be said to be new songs 

while the live version of 'I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For' is indeed excellent, the live covers in my opinion are second-rate, at best...  I'm sure that if you were there it was riveting but they failed miserably to transfer the energy and excitement onto the album...  the covers succeed in the film but not on the record...  as good as 'I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For' sounds, it doesn't match the film version where the intimacy of the Harlem church projects noticably better...

the 'Rattle & Hum' album is no better than albums like 'All That You Can't Leave Behind' or 'How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb' where there are more filler than gems...  they just didn't front load it and scattered them amongst the forgettables...  unfortunate for there are some great live tracks in the film that didn't make it onto the record...  I personally recorded the audio from the film onto cassette (with the line out on my state-of-the-art VCR!) and haven't bothered with the album they released since...  I did, however, add 'God (Part II)' & 'Hawkmoon 269' to the film audio tape at the end for those two are standouts...:-)

Offline zoo adam

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2020, 03:12:33 AM »
R & H is different from anything I had seen before.

Can't recall an artist making that sort of album before. U2 were big & good enough to pull it off.

Being released the year after TJT & including a film, meant the fans were onside. However some critics gave it stick.

Silver & Gold was ok.

Never liked Helter Skelter. However it was totally different to Streets as an opener. As a cover, a live version & a heavy rock song, U2 were saying R & H is not anotherJT.

Liked All along the WatchTower.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 04:42:15 AM by zoo adam »

Offline Billy Rhythm

• Wanderer
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2020, 12:39:51 PM »
R & H is different from anything I had seen before

sure...  give 'em points for trying something unconventional but "different" doesn't necessarily always translate into something great...  it's not like they inspired others to crank out similiar projects afterwards...  the only one that I can remember is Roxette's 'Tourism' album which was released a few years later and it was much more polished and cohesive...  they used a similiar selection of live tracks mixed inbetween new material and they didn't stretch it out over two discs...  can't remember off hand but the running time was pretty much the same, perhaps even longer...

again, the film did break new ground with how artists presented themselves visually...  after 'Rattle & Hum's release virtually everybody started filming their promotional videos in black & white, and it was a trend that went on for quite some time after...  the stark contrast of the black & white opening half built up nicely for 'Where The Streets Have No Name's entrance, something that was echoed for the sequence of 'The Joshua Tree's 30th Anniversary's structure...  the album is alot like the 'POP' album...  diehards sing its eternal praises while the casuals don't bother much with it...:-)

Offline zoo adam

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2020, 02:02:30 PM »
Don't think anyone is saying R & H is great. But it was different.

TJT tour was originally booked for 12 months. But the hugeness of it & U2's love for touring, it would have been extended. Rather than the fans waiting until 1991 for AB, they released something. In the 80's, U2 were used to releasing  albums after short gaps.

Fans of live tracks would be pleased. There was no Youtube then. Fans of covers & alternative versions of famous U2 songs should be pleased. All U2 fans should be pleased there were new songs.

So it was really made to please everyone, but not having the focus of TJT or TUF, was never going to get it's gravitas.

Always thought Roxette coped U2!
« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 02:12:35 PM by zoo adam »

Offline Billy Rhythm

• Wanderer
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2020, 05:50:54 PM »
Always thought Roxette coped U2!

while someone in the Presentation Dept. may very well have "coped U2!" with the 'Tourism' release, the artists took it to another level...  hands down Roxette's Best Work...  'Rattle & Hum' is nowhere near U2's finest hour...  R.I.P. Marie Fredriksson...

Fans of live tracks would be pleased

from someone who favours their live performances, I was disappointed with the release which is why I opted for the film's audio...  the Madison Square Gardens or Tempe Arizona recordings in full that became available eventually later on was what I was hoping for back in 1988...  the new songs would've made a better Double E.P. than a Double L.P., in my opinion...  or, include some of the obscure tracks like 'Hallelujah, Here She Comes'...:-)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 05:52:41 PM by Billy Rhythm »

Offline BringCitrus

• Refugee
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2020, 03:45:42 PM »
1. The Unforgettable Fire
2. The Joshua Tree
3. October
4. Achtung Baby
5. Pop
6. Boy
7. All That You Can't Leave Behind
8. War
9. Zooropa
10. Rattle & Hum
11. Songs Of Innocence
12. How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb
13. No Line On The Horizon
14. Songs Of Experience

Offline LToy

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2020, 01:11:16 PM »
TOP TEN
  • ZOOROPA
  • ACHTUNG BABY
  • THE UNFORGETTABLE FIRE
  • THE JOSHUA TREE
  • WAR
  • OCTOBER
  • BOY
  • HOW TO DISMANTLE AN ATOMIC BOMB
  • PASSENGERS: ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACKS I
  • RATTLE & HUM*

BOTTOM FIVE

11. SONGS OF INNOCENCE [AKA another nail in the coffin of mediocrity, part II]
   12. NO LINE ON THE HORIZON [AKA a noble attempt at experimentation that ultimately falls flat]
   13. SONGS OF EXPERIENCE [AKA another nail in the coffin of mediocrity, part III]
   14. POP [AKA the noble experiment where the best laid plans went off the rails]
   15. ALL THAT YOU CAN'T LEAVE BEHIND [AKA the first nail in the coffin of mediocrity]

*Not counting the live tracks
« Last Edit: June 13, 2020, 06:33:24 PM by LToy »

Offline GoldenStateGirl

• Stateless
  • As the moon spins around, I need your love
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2020, 02:26:08 PM »
I personally recorded the audio from the film onto cassette (with the line out on my state-of-the-art VCR!)

LOL I did this too.  I was 16-17 so it was my parents' "state-of-the-art VCR".  I loved the R&H speedy version of In God's Country and the "shine like stars" bit in WOWY.  Played that cassette in my car all the time and irritated my poor friends who had all had enough of U2 by that point.

Offline alexaevisel

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2020, 04:20:08 AM »
1. Joshua Tree
2. Unforgettable Fire
3. Zooropa (I know; Hot take, I love it more every year although it's sacrilege to have before Achtung)
4. Achtung Baby
5. Rattle and Hum
6. War

7. No Line on the Horizon
8. Pop (I used to hate it but it grew on me)
9. How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb
10. All that you can't Leave Behind

11. October
12. Boy
13. Songs of Experience
14. Songs of Innocence