Author Topic: Feedback or The Hype  (Read 536 times)

Offline U2dublin2020

• Stranger in a Strange Land
Feedback or The Hype
« on: March 19, 2020, 04:29:42 PM »
Hello, I'm new to the forum and I'm trying to figure out for certain whether U2 were called Feedback or The Hype for these three early gigs. I know they were definitely called Feedback when they played St. Fintan's on April 11th 1977 and were definitely called The Hype by the time the played the Marine Hotel on October 7th 1977 but I'm not as sure about the three dates below. This website says All Saints and Slack Alice's were Feedback gigs and the Mount Temple gig in October was their first gig as The Hype but Matt McGee's U2 Diary says they were called The Hype for all of these gigs. Dave Griffith's U2 locations book says their first gig as The Hype was the Marine Hotel.

Also, are these dates correct?

All Saints Church, Raheny April 12th 1977
Slack Alice's April 13th 1977
Mount Temple October 1st 1977

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
Re: Feedback or The Hype
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2020, 11:54:22 PM »
Have you checked the tours part of this site?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 12:54:15 AM by singnomore »

Offline U2dublin2020

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2020, 08:52:42 AM »
For some strange reason I'm being asked to login to Tours section even though I'm already logged into atu2?

Offline U2dublin2020

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2020, 09:09:39 AM »
The Tours sections section says All Saints and Slack Alice's were Feedback gigs and for the Mount Temple gig on October 1st they were the Hype. I'm just wondering what the evidence is to support this? There's quite a bit of contradiction between different books and different sites so I'm trying to find out for certain what they were called for these three different gigs. Are there ticket stubs or newspaper ads or eyewitnesses that know what name the band went under for these three gigs? I know the people running this site have done a lot of work trying to document every one of the early gigs so I thought it the best place to ask. Maybe there is no way of knowing for certain what they were called for these gigs and we just have to make a guess, but hopefully not.

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2020, 12:55:36 AM »
Ill check with the guys. Some as you say is hazy but likewise they have done a shed load of detective work too.