Author Topic: Illegal downloads killing new bands, claims Mullen  (Read 2740 times)

nolinehumper69

Illegal downloads killing new bands, claims Mullen
« on: March 08, 2009, 11:14:33 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

U2 drummer Larry Mullen has claimed the practice of illegally downloading music for free is killing young bands.

"People don't buy albums. It's about individual songs," Mullen (right) said in an interview with 2fm's Larry Gogan.

"It's very difficult for young bands, and they end up having to do things and sell themselves in a way that would have been offensive when we were starting out. I think it's very difficult.

"This idea that people can take music and download it for free is so soul-destroying for a young band. For people like us, it makes absolutely no difference and has no real impact, but it does for young songwriters and bands."

He said the band have stayed together for three decades because they never argued about songwriting credits or money.

"We're still friends and when we get together to write there's an understanding and there is no competition for space."

He added it was a huge moment in his life to play at the inauguration of US President Barack Obama.

"I got an opportunity to say hello afterwards which was a big thrill. I asked him about his Irish roots and whether he was coming to our fair isle and he said he'd give me a call and let me know."

joegtheog

Re: Illegal downloads killing new bands, claims Mullen
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2009, 11:17:47 PM »
Thanks, noline. 

Anyone getting the impression that Larry is "coming out of his shell"?  A lot of soundbites and appearances from him; I know it's a new album whirlwind but he seemed to get a big chunk of the Letterman sitdown too.  No complaints at all from this end.

nolinehumper69

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2009, 11:22:18 PM »
Thanks, noline. 

Anyone getting the impression that Larry is "coming out of his shell"?  A lot of soundbites and appearances from him; I know it's a new album whirlwind but he seemed to get a big chunk of the Letterman sitdown too.  No complaints at all from this end.

No problem.

If you want to download the entire podcast then go here:

nolinehumper69

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2009, 11:24:37 PM »
haha

Go here to listen to it:

nolinehumper69

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2009, 11:29:36 PM »
Larry said in the interview that U2 will work with Rick Rubin again in the future!!

Offline Evil Bono

• Numb
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2009, 11:31:19 PM »
Larry sure went on a "coming out of my shell tour" in a huge way.  Its actually a breeze of fresh air that Larry is giving his opinions on stuff. 

nolinehumper69

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2009, 11:33:20 PM »
Larry sure went on a "coming out of my shell tour" in a huge way.  Its actually a breeze of fresh air that Larry is giving his opinions on stuff. 

Yeah it is weird that he isnt a p**** anymore. I prefer the prickish side as opposed to this new personality.

joegtheog

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2009, 11:37:09 PM »
I think the prickish side comes out when he becomes protective of the band. I also think he is damn proud of this album.

daveyg

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2009, 06:20:18 AM »
Thanks, noline. 

No problem.

If you want to download the entire podcast then go here:

you can download it for free!! lol

sorry rubbish joke

Offline Mr. BonorFLYd

• Child of Grace
  • Music you can eat!
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2009, 09:21:26 AM »

It's a 360 degree view of the members of U2...LOL. They all have to be more present this time around. They should have digitized versions of themselves that rotate 360 on the tour screens, lol. But seriously, it's good for the other members of U2 to get out there and express opinions. I like Bono, but for U2's popularity it's got to be more than 'The Bono Show'...even though it's always entertaining and insightful.