Author Topic: Any chance U2 will remix Pop during lockdown?  (Read 998 times)

Offline KenpoMatt

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • The first wealth is health.
Re: Any chance U2 will remix Pop during lockdown?
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2020, 09:34:56 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
if you mean re-cord, I hope not.  That doesn't usually go well (Mercy, Mining Town)

they've had some success with the "re-record" formula...  I actually prefer the 2017 mix of 'Red Hill Mining Town' over the original, as with the single version of 'Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses?'...  but yeah, their batting average isn't that great with the redos…:-)

Ugh, album version of horses all the way IMO!!!

As far as Pop, Larry as well has expressed a desire to re-visit the mixes (no pun intended :P). The Hong Kong Demo's definitely had promise, but I think as an earlier post said, "Let art be art" and leave it be. I enjoy pop for it's wins and it's flaws.

But we better be careful about the POP debate though. Before we know it, the "Talk U2" forum members will return and crap on everyone's posts that don't hail it as the 8th wonder of the music industry.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2020, 09:41:04 PM by KenpoMatt »

Offline Billy Rhythm

• Wanderer
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2020, 06:03:51 AM »
Ugh, album version of horses all the way IMO!!!
the biggest improvement in the Temple Bar Mix of 'Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses?' is that Larry's drumming is much more prominent...  his great drumming is buried under the muddy sounding guitar...  losing the overprocessing of reverb and distortion was a good call, in my opinion...  the acoustic guitar with piano accompaniment while using The Edge's acid drops more sparingly makes way for a more passionate vocal from Bono...  a lot of those who are only familiar with the album version don't even notice that there's a violin in the song...  the album version sounds like a demo to my ears but, perhaps that's its charm to some...:-)

Offline Crewboy

• Stateless
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2020, 11:45:15 AM »
The biggest issue with POP is that they rushed it. 

First time ever they announced a tour before an album was finished and ready for release.  Part of me will always wonder if after the success of Achtung and Zoo TV...they felt the pressure from a creative standpoint to top it. 

Probably why they went back to basics with the classic U2 sound and a bare stage with no more experimenting until No Line On The Horizon.

Offline Gavin82

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2020, 02:17:08 PM »
Hopefully they will play Croke on this tour im massive on my list too do....!!!!!

Offline zooguitar

• Wanderer
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2020, 11:59:40 AM »
I say Pop rocks, let it stand.  They did redo several songs for The Best of years ago.  Didn't help (:

Here here