Author Topic: MoFo/I Will Follow  (Read 509 times)

Offline Del Atletico

• Stranger in a Strange Land
MoFo/I Will Follow
« on: June 02, 2020, 01:38:53 PM »
After so many years, just watched the Popmart Mexico-dvd. I got chills when Mofo fades and transforms into I Will Follow. Edge's guitar riffs are so similar in both of these songs that it couldn't be coincidence? When we all know that both of these songs are about Bono's mother.

Is there any kind of explanation or story about that riff by the band? Or is it just me imagining things? ;)

Offline U2alwaysforever

• Staring at the Sun
  • "And you can dream, so dream out loud."
Re: MoFo/I Will Follow
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2020, 11:59:20 PM »
Lyrically absolutely they are linked. As I would add Iris to this also. I play guitar and although not an expert I don't think the chords/key are all that similar. You may be hearing the same tempo. Just my opinion. And either way it was cool to hear them together on Pop I don't know why but I've been listening to that record a lot lately.

Offline Billy Rhythm

• Wanderer
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2020, 06:35:07 PM »
I'm not seein' any "connection" between the two other than that they compliment each other well and make for a strong opening to a PopShow…  I'm thinkin' that 'Pop Muzik/MOFO' are more closely linked but that's just me...  'I Will Follow' has become a staple of their opening sequence for quite some time now and it started long before 'PopMart'...  'I Will Follow' followed 'Where The Streets Have No Name', very much in the same "kick into it Edge right away" vain, when I first saw U2 in 1987...  you PopMartians never cease to amaze me though lol...:-) 

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2020, 09:35:20 PM »
I think it was the perfect two song 1-2 punch. And lyrically so intertwined. One a 20 year old crying for a missing mother and the other a man approaching 40 with kids of his own grappling with no longer being a child himself but still needing his mother.

Link is one of the more obvious ones I'd have thought, notwithstanding that I Will Follow is played on 2 strings and Mofo virtually none...!

Iris too is the logical progression 15 more years on...