Author Topic: 21st century U2  (Read 292 times)

Offline suitoflights

• Desert Rose
  • You gotta hold on baby to my special feature
21st century U2
« on: June 20, 2020, 12:09:45 PM »
I've been revisiting post 2000 U2. AYTCLB - probably my least favourite album and hasn't improved over time.
HTDAAB. Much maligned but I think it's not too bad. Only album to have 2 UK number one singles. Vertigo one of their best rock tracks, Sometimes You Can't Make it one of their best ballads. NLOTH - this could have been great. Most experimental since the 90s. Title track an amazing opener. White as Snow sublime and Cedars one of their finest closing tracks. Just let down by an awful lead single and Crazy. SOI and SOE. Prefer the formrer, a good solid rock album all the way through, maybe cheapened by them giving it away.

Offline pan360

• Wanderer
  • The universe is beautiful but cold
Re: 21st century U2
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2020, 10:09:22 AM »
I belong to those lucky fans that enjoy modern day U2. NLOTH and SOE are on my top five. And I actually feel more connected and listen regularly the last five albums even though I am an old fan and POP, AB and TJT are the other three on my top five. ATYCLB connects quite well the 90s with the 80s U2. HTDAAB is a restart for U2, it is not accidental that they chose Lillywhite to produce it. It has the sound we loved. NLOTH could be a masterpiece.  There aren't any songs I don't like on SOI and SOE.

Offline Luzita

• Intellectual Tortoise
21st century U2
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2020, 11:26:59 AM »
I am a big fan of early U2 like really early, the first 3 albums. But I like the recent albums too, esp. SOE. Songs like Little Things, Red Flag Day, and Lights of Home hold up well against the rest of their catalog.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline suitoflights

• Desert Rose
  • You gotta hold on baby to my special feature
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2020, 11:54:14 PM »
Agree re above, though SOE is slightly spoiled by me by trying to sound too current. There's a couple of songs I don't care for whereas SOI is probably their most consistent album since Achtung Baby.

Offline Rasmus

• Refugee
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2020, 11:49:21 AM »
U2 in the 80's: Untouchable
U2 in the 90's: Untouchable
U2 in the 00's and 10's: Safe/boring with some good songs here and there

I like ATYCLB because I associate it with the Elevation Tour which was just amazing and the songs worked so much better live than on the album imo. The album itself is pretty boring though. HTDAAB was good when it came out but I dont think it works today for some reason. NLOTH is a weak album. SOI is good and their best since the 90's mainly because of the last half of the album. SOE is very weak except 1-2 songs. Personally I find myself being a U2 fan more and more for nostalgic reasons - I loved them in the 90's and keep hoping for them to regain that same fire/momentum but I dont really believe in it anymore.

Offline zoo adam

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2020, 12:36:17 PM »
U2 won't go back to the experimental 90's. And they won't release another JT or TUF.

However I believe they have one or two more SOI's in them. Not a bad thing as SOI is one of my favourites.

Not expecting these anytime soon. They will need 5 year gaps. That's ok. It's been like that since the last century.

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2020, 07:48:48 PM »
I really love NLOTH and that ambient vibe they attained in songs like "Unknown Caller" and "Fez".  I also think SOE had some great tunes.  Each of the albums has something great to offer, though I prefer some more than others.

Offline Argo

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2020, 08:02:16 AM »
Agree with many of the sentiments in this thread. ATYCLB is pretty dull and boring to me, Bomb has some great individual songs but when you put it together on an album it doesn't seem to work so well. NLOTH has some really good moments ruined by them going too safe. And I really like SOI and a lot of SOE.

Offline GoldenStateGirl

• Stateless
  • As the moon spins around, I need your love
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2020, 02:15:30 PM »
HTDAAB is in my top 3!  I love NLOTH but yes, some middle tracks are skippable.  SOI and SOE feel fresh and listenable to me all the time.

Blessed to have lived through TJT and AB in real time...we won't get that era back but it's a treasure in my heart forever.