Author Topic: Perfect Time for Songs of Ascent?  (Read 767 times)

Offline dwaltman

• Staring at the Sun
Perfect Time for Songs of Ascent?
« on: August 12, 2020, 06:56:35 AM »
I was listening to a Rolling Stone podcast discussing Taylor Swift's Folklore.  They were discussing the notion that she could release this record without the pressure of touring the record.  Then I think it was Rob Sheffield who brought up a time he was with U2 and they were arguing with Brian Eno about what I assume was the songs for Songs of Ascent.  He said that U2 reminded Eno that they had to tour this record in stadiums or arenas and couldn't meditate with the crowd for an hour.

Which brings me to the point that now would be the perfect time to release Songs of Ascent.  Release it during the pandemic. It could be the vaccine many of us need.    Then they could do the anniversary tour for Zoo TV, then move on from the Songs of...Innocence, Experience, Ascent trilogy with a new material.

Thoughts?

Offline Billy Rhythm

• Wanderer
Re: Perfect Time for Songs of Ascent?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2020, 07:30:16 AM »
lose the 'Songs of...' titles...  the previous two didn't work out as a double L.P./Tour and pushing it to a triple would be disastrous...  forget about "relevance" and move on...:-)

Offline Vox

• Running to Stand Still
  • Time is irrelevant, it's not linear.
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2020, 08:33:19 AM »
Agree.  For a while now, I've wanted to hear a proper, modern U2 album where they don't particularly feel the need to figure out how to play the songs live.  Just slip a sort of ambient, atomospherey album out there and let it be what it is.  Something like how the band have described Songs of Ascent sounds like it'd fit the bill, and if it's just sitting in a vault somewhere, why not?  People could probably benefit from a U2 album filled with futuristic gospel songs at this point in their collective lives. 

On the other side of the coin, once "this" is all over, have U2 work on and finish the next-next album in the studio, figure out how to play it live, go back in the studio and rerecord it that way, and then tour the *#$& out of that one.  Could even play a couple from Songs of Ascent a'la "Miss Sarajevo," and "Your Blue Room."   

I'd feel a bit let down in U2 as a band if they feel they can't simply release music, to release music... that they have to tour behind everything to make that money, son. 

Heck, I suppose they don't have to technically release anything with the intent to play it live at all, if they keep doing anniversary tours.   

Offline dwaltman

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2020, 03:39:25 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
lose the 'Songs of...' titles...  the previous two didn't work out as a double L.P./Tour and pushing it to a triple would be disastrous...  forget about "relevance" and move on...:-)

The point I was making was to release something without a tour if that indeed was the issue for getting it out there.  And SOI/SOE didn't work out?  Well not as a double release or that 2 night idea they had at one point, but I thought both tours definitely worked!  For me, SOE show was better than SOI but enjoyed both.  And relevance?  I don't think that was the goal of SOA or whatever you want to call it.

Offline pan360

• Wanderer
  • The universe is beautiful but cold
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2020, 12:08:23 PM »
An atmospheric album is what I hope for too... I don't care if they call it SOA or whatever. And it does makes sense the scenario of the anniversary Zoo TV tour that would free them from the need to play a new album live.

Offline Sunchild

• Stateless
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2020, 01:09:29 PM »
Let's not underestimate the healing power of well intended music in times of need, the right kind of music. Bono helping the world financially may be needed too at this time, but I think these guys' purpose is to make music to uplift the world the way no one else can. I agree, it is a perfect time to make a special kind of music for this special kind of situation in this world.

Offline dwaltman

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2020, 03:19:29 PM »
Let's not underestimate the healing power of well intended music in times of need, the right kind of music. Bono helping the world financially may be needed too at this time, but I think these guys' purpose is to make music to uplift the world the way no one else can. I agree, it is a perfect time to make a special kind of music for this special kind of situation in this world.

Good point.  I was remembering listening to "All That You Can't Leave Behind" and Bruce Springsteen's "The Rising"  on repeat after  Sept. 11 attacks. 

Offline Steve440

• Babyface
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2020, 09:00:45 AM »
Yes it's the perfect time for SOA.
No they won't do it.

Offline Drumheller

• Babyface
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2020, 06:14:28 PM »
If there was a time for a new U2 album, now would be it.

Also, was just listening to Blackout on SOE and that song seems especially relavent to me now. 

Offline Dali

• Child of Grace
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2020, 01:57:40 PM »
Well, of course, it would be a good time for releasing that. I'd probably enjoy it a lot. But most likely, it's not ready for a release.

Offline Lizard

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Heard a song that made some sense out of the world
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2020, 01:31:24 PM »

I agree. Had a similar thought a while ago. A new U2 album would be very much what I need right now.  ;D

Offline georgemccauley

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2020, 07:15:08 PM »
I think we will be getting some content at least with the 20 year anniversary box set of All That You Canít Leave Behind. Been dying to hear those songs remastered and with the extra content itíll be great to see that album get the anniversary treatment it deserves.

I hope U2 play live in some way next year. I was thinking a one off show at Slane, again 20 years after their last appearance!

In terms of new music maybe not for a while, but at least itís something!

Offline Karmamalaga

• Wanderer
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2020, 07:46:46 AM »
Some have done concerts with thorough social distancing. U2 could do it and record the concerts for extra income (covering costs of a far lesser audiance, in numbers). To me, it's just maths: How many tables with seats (som bigger than thers (family vs lone concert goers) can a stadium take? Besides, U2 have shown through their record sleeves that they take social distancing to the maximum (see South Park's episode Christian Rock Hard)  ;D .
Since Isolation (not desolation) is key, while buying the tickets, you's buy the drinks too. They's come with a specially designed U2 ice box (cheeply and environmentillay made should U2 go out of fashion in year 2086.
Ticket prices would be the same (less money to spend due to coronavirus, with - at the purchase - say, three options: Champagne (20US$ a coupe and two beers and or water (same price: costs of making the tables) for a proportionate price.
In other words, one buy's one package.) The glasses should be buyable, for another fee (memorabilia: I have my beer cups from 2017 and 2018) and use them for water in my car for my dog (dachshund whose nose fit).
say 100 meters x 60 divided by 16 fenced m2; gives 375 spaces on ground floor (less due to new stage that sees everyone, at a safe distance).
Ridiculously high priced beverages with signatures could amount for a good part of the income (extra option for instagrammers).
This could become a live album to be released in late winter. Remember how speedy they were with Rattle & Hum and Zooropa?
Bono seems hooked on composing - I don't see him ending. He just happens to have it in him, I guess. Like no more hair-dying Sir Paul McCartney. I think the other band members are trying out new riffs, lines and rythms as I write.
I am not in a hurry for a new album, but on the other hand, now one would be most welcome as people isolate.