Author Topic: Source of U2 Quotes  (Read 278 times)

Offline Zimmy1987

• Wanderer
Source of U2 Quotes
« on: September 18, 2020, 02:21:01 PM »
I'm doing some research for a project and I am trying to reconcile these quotes.  I remember finding them somewhere, but I must've not noted the sources when I found them.  Does anyone here know where they come from?

1. "I was drawn towards Central American through meeting René Castro.  At first he didn't pay me much attention until he discovered the Amnesty connection.  Amnesty saved his life.  He’d been captured when Allende was killed and they had the military revolution. He was tortured. He had a hole in his chest. They bored a hole in his chest. He was in the stadium with Victor Jara when he had his fingers cut off and then, eventually, was brutally murdered. Amnesty International got him out and people from the Amnesty community came to our gigs and René Castro sent me some of paintings. And I was eventually asked to go to El Salvador and Nicaragua" - Bono

2. "The guy in [‘Where the Streets Have No Name’] recognizes this contrast and thinks about a world where there aren't such divisions, a place where the streets have no name. To me, that's the way a great rock 'n' roll concert should be: a place where everyone comes together... Maybe that's the dream of all art: to break down the barriers and the divisions between people and touch upon the things that matter the most to us all." - Bono

3. "I would say that none of my fundamentalist beliefs have changed, but they’ve broadened and matured and been tempered with a wider experience of (a) what’s good about the rest of the world and (b) what’s bad about religion everywhere. I don’t believe there one, single, perfect spiritual way and, in realizing that, obviously, you become a lot more open" - The Edge

4. "If you write a song about a person who’s close to you and dies in a car accident while doing a favor for you, you’re not going to [be able to] take someone in the control room pressing a button and telling you “try it again, please” or “can you drop it in from the second verse.” I’d just say “drop dead.” So, as soon as I wrote the words, I cut myself off, I performed it once" - Bono

Offline fresno dave

• Party Girl/Boy
  • "You wanted violins.." about.me/davewainscott
Re: Source of U2 Quotes
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2020, 02:23:24 PM »
Here you go, though I may be too late of it was a school assignment.  3 out of 4 so far.  I'll try again/

I tried #4 on Google, and suprisingly came up blank.  I thought maybe the original quote was bit different than original quote, like 1 ), but Google shows nothing with key words), so maybe it's   from a long and/or obscure audio or video interview and never been transcribed?  What song was he talking about?  Any other context?

#1 Source:
 You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

#2. The "dream of all art" is attributed on Wikipedia to
Hilburn, Robert (25 December 1987). "U2's Bono Hewson pours drama into rock". Chicago Sun-Times. p. 83.

#3 Source:
« Last Edit: September 26, 2020, 02:32:50 PM by fresno dave »

Offline fresno dave

• Party Girl/Boy
  • "You wanted violins.." about.me/davewainscott
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2020, 02:36:58 PM »
#4 .

I bet it's this, or another interview from same time with slightly different words:

"I can’t hear that song. I cut myself off from it, because if I didn’t and somebody told me, ‘Eh, now we’d like you to do the vocal again,’ or ‘Listen, I think that chorus is weak,’ it would be iron-bar time.”

Source:

Similar quote on Wikipedia is
"We've never performed 'One Tree Hill', and I can't. In fact I haven't even heard the song, though I've listened to it a hundred times. I've cut myself off from it completely."
Source:
Breskin, David (8 October 1987). "Interview with Bono". Rolling Stone.

« Last Edit: September 26, 2020, 02:41:00 PM by fresno dave »

Offline Zimmy1987

• Wanderer
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2020, 06:54:19 PM »
Ahhh!   Thank you so much!  This is super awesome.

I think the first quote is from “U2 by U2” but ive skimmed through it a few times with no luck.