Author Topic: WHY THE AMSTERDAM ARENA AGAIN???  (Read 1745 times)

Offline Sjakie

• Stranger in a Strange Land
WHY THE AMSTERDAM ARENA AGAIN???
« on: March 09, 2009, 05:56:26 AM »
After all the soundproblems at the Vertigoshows they return to Hollands most non suitable concertstadium, the Amsterdam Arena. Every artist who has been there admits: It's a crappy venue. I remember David Bowie getting very pi**ed off during his concert, "You are hearing the concert six times!" was what he said. I even thought I read somewhere Bono saying to never return to the Arena. I got really happy when rumours were getting stronger that U2 might come to our best concertstadium, de Kuip in Rotterdam. Or maybe Goffert Park in Nijnmegen, a beautiful outdoor venue.

But the latest news... Yes, it's going to be the Arena again. They say they will fix the echoproblem, that's what they said four years ago. It was horrible, not good enough for the band U2. I'll be going anyway but this just really disappointing. It confirms what I'm afraid for: They are making beautiful music, but they are losing touch with the fans. It's business.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 06:05:35 AM by Sjakie »

EdgesDelay

Re: WHY THE AMSTERDAM ARENA AGAIN???
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 06:26:22 AM »
Hampden in Glasgow was the same for the Vertigo tour...... They played across the pitch opposite the main stand and it just echoed back and forward. It was a fookin nightmare and gave me one of my worst U2 gigs.

I hope the location of the stage this time makes a difference. It may be a better location in the Amsterdam Arena also.

Offline DrBoogerloo

• Cardiff 2005 was awesome in the circle
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 07:20:12 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
After all the soundproblems at the Vertigoshows they return to Hollands most non suitable concertstadium, the Amsterdam Arena. Every artist who has been there admits: It's a crappy venue. I remember David Bowie getting very pi**ed off during his concert, "You are hearing the concert six times!" was what he said. I even thought I read somewhere Bono saying to never return to the Arena. I got really happy when rumours were getting stronger that U2 might come to our best concertstadium, de Kuip in Rotterdam. Or maybe Goffert Park in Nijnmegen, a beautiful outdoor venue.

But the latest news... Yes, it's going to be the Arena again. They say they will fix the echoproblem, that's what they said four years ago. It was horrible, not good enough for the band U2. I'll be going anyway but this just really disappointing. It confirms what I'm afraid for: They are making beautiful music, but they are losing touch with the fans. It's business.

Does seem strange - Genesis played there in 2007 and I remember alot of people complaining that many artists didn't like it. Having said that I don't recall too many bad reports back about the Genesis gig afterwards.

Offline Sjakie

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 07:25:43 AM »
Ok, so maybe ''every artist" is to much. But there were many negative reports around the Vertigo-shows. I just can't imagine that as an artist you'd think: "Remember those Amsterdamshows we did, the sound was really awfull. But hey, F it, we're going there." Im sure that wasn't the way it went down but still, why?

Offline jono2u

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • "i was born to sing for you"
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 08:49:50 AM »
The stage at Hampden this time will be nearer the Celtic end of the stadium so the sound will be better but i agree edge that the last time the sound was awful :o

Offline Drowning Man

• Babyface
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2009, 10:49:46 AM »
Yeah,I as Dutch hate their decision.
Maybe I will decide to go to Germany or France to see them.