Author Topic: 5 Songs in 5 Hours  (Read 2818 times)

Offline EdgeUK8_my_mind

• Desert Rose
  • I need you to elevate me here
5 Songs in 5 Hours
« on: November 17, 2008, 08:38:27 PM »
In Rattle and Hum, Bono mentions that they went to Sun Studios and recorded 5 songs in 5 hours (Angel of Harlem, Love Rescue Me, When Loves Comes to Town, Jesus Christ and 1 other).  Given that we are all somewhat impatient for the new studio album but want it to be amazing, I was wondering whether you thought it is best to:
a) just get in there and record 5 songs in 5 hours
b) fine tune every last detail or
c) play impromptu small shows (for fan club members?) to "test drive" the songs, because they seem to change and improve after they have been played live. 

Thoughts?

Offline m2

• Administrator
  • Desert Rose
  • I love the smell of fresh forum killspam.
Re: 5 Songs in 5 Hours
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 08:50:16 PM »
"C" has been my wish for ages. I would love for them to play the songs live for a month before recording them. Probably a pipe dream, but a guy can hope.

Offline Joe90usa

• Airborne Ranger
  • Dragons Rule! Catfish Drool.
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 10:12:42 PM »
The band have talked for a long time about how the songs evolve when playing them live, yet they won't take the hint.

hurricane hugo

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2008, 11:42:49 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
In Rattle and Hum, Bono mentions that they went to Sun Studios and recorded 5 songs in 5 hours (Angel of Harlem, Love Rescue Me, When Loves Comes to Town, Jesus Christ and 1 other).  Given that we are all somewhat impatient for the new studio album but want it to be amazing, I was wondering whether you thought it is best to:
a) just get in there and record 5 songs in 5 hours
b) fine tune every last detail or
c) play impromptu small shows (for fan club members?) to "test drive" the songs, because they seem to change and improve after they have been played live. 

Thoughts?

b is my choice...although there's a lot to be said for c. For example: until the mid-'80s, Rush used to schedule a monthlong tour after finishing writing but before entering the studio to record new albums. Giving their new songs a few live airings helped them speed up the recording process a great deal - believe it or not, they've never taken more than 3 months to record an album.

#@!

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2008, 03:05:29 AM »
I'm for (c) - REM did this last year - problem is it would turn into a world tour!

Offline TheFly

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2008, 06:45:52 AM »
I would go for a combination of all three, not necessarily in that order though.

Perhaps live test the songs, some fine tuning, and then five songs in five hours.

Offline Vox

• Running to Stand Still
  • Time is irrelevant, it's not linear.
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2008, 11:21:52 AM »
I’d love to see U2 try out some new songs live before putting the final recording on the album.  In my opinion, a lot of U2 songs take on a whole different life in a “live” setting (no pun intended), and for the better. 

I’m just worried that all this time in the studio is going to make everything too “polished” which is a minor complaint of mine from the last two albums.  Zooropa was recorded in a couple of months, and for a highly synthesized and technological album still sounded rough in a good way.     

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2008, 02:43:50 PM »
Vox - I'm there I think there is a bit too much polish - both to the albums and the live shows. I get why but the early days it generated a different energy - Bono would regularly forget lyrics but filling in usually made the show...

Offline soloyan

• Staring at the Sun
  • A dangerous idea that almost makes sense
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2008, 03:07:54 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
5 songs in 5 hours : Angel of Harlem, Love Rescue Me, When Loves Comes to Town, Jesus Christ and 1 other

I think the 5th one was "She's a Mystery to Me" but I don't recall where I got that from and I've never heard it (from this session, I mean). Maybe for the re-release of "Rattle & Hum"...

Offline TraKianLite/Zooropa

• Numb
  • The land was flat, the highway straight and wide.
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2008, 02:06:36 PM »
Depends on the song. a) probably results in something immediate and bracing or throwaway and inessential, b) results in either complex experimentation or overthought radio gloss, and c) results in great singles or over-populist crowd pleasing. So there's gains and losses to be made either way.