Author Topic: U2360 - No Obstructed Views?! I don't see how? and the stage design just seems  (Read 7567 times)

Offline evel12314

• Elevated
  • Squeeze out sparks of light.
I was just staring at the screen in disbelief. That thing is incredible!

My question about the catwalk/ellipse thing. It doesn't seem to touch the stage, so how can they walk around it during the show? If they're not going to walk around it then what is the point?

Also, didn't Bono say something about a spaceship coming down and landing in the crowd? I think I'll have a heart attack if that spider thing actually lands there. :o

Offline melbourne85

• Babyface
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I'm extremely underwhelmed by this too.  Give me the Pop-like ambition any day of the week over this stripped down stuff.

This set looks safer and less daring than ATYCLB's tour for crying out loud.

stripped down? you have got to be joking.

Offline EdgeFest [Zenmaster360]

• Airborne Ranger
  • My blog: mrstheedge.com
My question about the catwalk/ellipse thing. It doesn't seem to touch the stage, so how can they walk around it during the show? If they're not going to walk around it then what is the point?

I wonder that too... they've GOT to be using the outside ring, don't they?

----------------
Now playing: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Evil Bono

• Numb
I'm guessing they'll use some sort of bridge. They keep talking about spaceships so maybe something will transport them to the stage.  And as far as stripped down, I don't think so.

Offline mbeano

• Headache in a Suitcase
I think the camera orbits of the stage probably don't do it enough justice. They make it look tiny. If you look at some of the stadium diagrams, it looks like the spider leg things are nearly 60 yards apart. If that is correct, that is massive.

This was my thought exactly.  At first I wast sure and thought from the main 3D promo that the sightlines may not be so great.  But then when seeing that monster on the fiild and seeing that in many cases it took up half or MORE of the field, you start to understand... WHOA  that beast must be ginormous... which would make the floating video circle massive as well.

Some big questions though...
1) Are those all the speakers?  have they just not drawn in anywhere near the real amount in this promo?  If not where are they?  Also does the lack of the usual gigantic wall of speakers mean they may be using new sound tech?  We have heard rumors in this decade of U2 working with various new sound technologies, and I though I remember reading a recent article with the mention that they would not need or use the usual wall of speakers facing from one side of the field to the rest

2)  What is that thing in the middle rising above everything else?  Is that needed for structural purposes? or is that an antenna?  lighting/visual feature all of these things?

3) Many of the stadium plans have 7 little squares located around the ring of the stadium, and always a the "back" half of the stage.  This could just be some type of rigging or logisital thing needed for the production, but its just something I hadnt seen in previous arena/stage floorplans (I always saw the control decks placed within the floorplan, opposite of the stage, but this is something I havent noticed before)

4) This REALLY maximizes prime floor real estate area!  It more than doubles it!  In the past we had probably 3/4 of the front of the stage (which of course comes out to less than half), plus the edges of the ramp - again probably around 3/4 of space to swarm around.  Now we have the entire  circumference of a stage rather than part of 1 side!  Plus the bigger ramp area as well.  That practically triples the prime "up front" real estate!

5) I've seen the Beastie Boys use a circular stage setup within an indoor arena during their tour to support Hello Nasty.  It was neat.  It rotated but only a little, maybe a song or 2?  And I dont think it rotated alot during the song(s).  It couldnt have been that much because I remember thinking "hmm it woulda been neat if that thing really rotated... more than that)  Wonder if this stage will

I will take triple the prime realeste sround the stage edge over a "cool" looking stage setup any day!  (And I LOVED both ZooTV and Popmart designwise)  I do think that there are probably some cool features we have no idea about yet.

I am hoping that the graphics used in the videos improves though.  One thing that I did NOT like about Vertigo was I felt it had the poorest use/choices of graphics.  It did eventually get better as the tour went along but overall it was the weakest use of graphics (not lighting though).  The walking/evolving man suring Sometimes You Cant Make It On Your Own, the blue jetfighter during Bullet The Blue Sky, and the African Flags all seemed to take away from the songs rather than make them better.  One simple improvement would have been to animate the flaags coming at you, rather than scrolling up & down.  That adds more excitement... like the end of Streets during popmart, where the flashes of color continually exploded outward toward the audience.  Even simple no techy stuff like the lyrics on the audience during Walk On at the end of the Elevation show were amazing and far superior to the visuals used during Vertigo tour  (the exception being Vertigo, Miracle Drug, and Love and Peace.... but even here the lighting played a big role in the overall affect, over the graphics). 

Offline highway190

• Refugee
  • Not telling you where the J Tree is.
1) Are those all the speakers?  have they just not drawn in anywhere near the real amount in this promo?  If not where are they?  Also does the lack of the usual gigantic wall of speakers mean they may be using new sound tech?  We have heard rumors in this decade of U2 working with various new sound technologies, and I though I remember reading a recent article with the mention that they would not need or use the usual wall of speakers facing from one side of the field to the rest

Those are actually the same form of line array pa cabinets they've (and most other groups) used since Elevation. They project sound in three different directions Left/Right/Center. The days of needing walls of speakers are pretty much gone in big venues. Check out some pictures of Metallica's latest tour to get an idea of how they do in the round sound indoors using the same principle on a smaller scale.

----I only know this because I am a COMPLETE nerd----

Offline mbeano

• Headache in a Suitcase

Those are actually the same form of line array pa cabinets they've (and most other groups) used since Elevation. They project sound in three different directions Left/Right/Center. The days of needing walls of speakers are pretty much gone in big venues. Check out some pictures of Metallica's latest tour to get an idea of how they do in the round sound indoors using the same principle on a smaller scale.

----I only know this because I am a COMPLETE nerd----

I did notice that they looked like the ones from at least Vertigo... But I was thinking... Indoor is different from outdoor isnt it?  And not just in terms of size.  I dont know... They certainly seemed to used these type of speakers indoor for Vertigo but then outdoor Vertigo appears to use typical wall speakers.  Am I mistake in this?  Was the Metaliica tour outdoor?

Offline in_eden

• Stateless
You don't need a million huge speakers to make it sound good... it's broken logic. Days are gone where you need twin five story speaker towers to have a great sounding concert...
For popmart... most of the PA was suspended on the arch... there were only a few speakers scattered around the stadium to push the high end.
Those speakers suspended from the "spider" are PLENTY. They are linnear array speakers, 8 columns of 20 highly powered high quality speakers... 160 in total... BELIEVE me will be more than enough.
Think of these new speakers as lights... it's not the size, but the POWER flowing through them, and where they are aimed. With that much elevation and arcing, everyone will be able to hear well (except in BC Place, the Metrodome, Rogers Centre... domes KILL acoustics!).
The people up front may have the worst sound, as they will be under the mains, and if the set up is as sparse at the graphics appear, there may be no stage volume... if all the amps are hidden and the band's sound is in their ears (in ear monitors) all you'll get live is the drums. Everything else will be coming from the speakers hanging roughly 100' above your head...
U2 uses the most state of the art PA systems made... as well as the best possible speakers... and enough wattage to power a small city for a month.
Believe me, they'll have it covered.

Offline spike

• Babyface
Couldn't care less what the stage is like, getting a ticket is all i care about. Some people should get out more rather than pontificating on u2's set design. FWIW i think it looks cracking and all looks set for another unforgettable concert.

Offline superstar905

• Stateless
Ok, I have tickets for the Rogers Center section 104 row5 or section 127 row 18.   This discussion really interests me as I've been trying to decide where is the best place to sit!

Here is the seating map, what do you guys recommend? (click the PDF for U2360)

Thanks in advance!

Offline MrsBrown

• Stateless
The most important thing for U2 at every live show is to get close to their fans. This is clearly a great way to do that. The stage comes further into the audience then any previous show. Any lights/effects are a bonus.
It looks spectacular.

It does not look "spectacular."  It looks like a tent frame.  U2 has had two "spectacular" sets: Zoo TV and Pop Mart.

mariamontreal

I am in section 114 - row 39 you have a better seat in section 104 that is closer than I am . But then again until we are actually seated we can only know how good our seats are . It is hard to say by looking at the map . See ya there ! And reheard this morning on Q92 radio after they played One , they are definetly coming to Montreal date to be confirmed. 2 shows for me !  I am so excited ,I get to see one this year and one next year , how cool is that ?
« Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 06:28:58 AM by mariamontreal »

Offline squiggles

• Wanderer
i'm not hugely impressed by the looks of this setup at all but i do think they always put on an amazing show and have been doing this long enough to know what will look good. so i'll wait and see. but i have to admit i think it looks kind of ugly! But again, we shall see...i've got faith!  ;D

They are definitely selling the upper decks. i tried the other night to see what was available using that lame venue code for giants stadium, and i came up w/ seats in the 300s, rows way back (glad i didn't jump the gun and get them). i can't imagine them selling seats w/ obstructed views, so there have got to be some elements to the set up that aren't quite evident in those pics we've seen.

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
Whoever thinks this is a "safe" stage design, I don't know what you're on. As someone who's studied (with great difficulty  ::)) structural design, I can safely say that keeping the lighting/sound systems elevated by use of gigantic stadium-stretching spider legs is no mean feat. It'll look bloody amazing in real life.

Offline The Wanderer

• Party Girl/Boy
  • U2360 Stage for Babies
At 16 stories tall, twice as tall as the Rolling Stones stage which was the largest,  I think the canopy will be higher than most seats.  The tour should be named "A Bigger Bang than the Bigger Bang Tour" It looks like the legs get pretty narrow as they come down to the floor.  Plus I think the guys will be moving around the various stages a lot.