Author Topic: If you're think of joing U2.com for the pre-sale...  (Read 21944 times)

Offline are1981

• Babyface
  • U2 gigs give me life!
Re: If you're think of joing U2.com for the pre-sale...
« Reply #60 on: March 12, 2009, 08:14:39 AM »
Yesterday I had no problem getting four presale-tickets for the July 31st show in Gothenborg, Sweden.

Why don't split the subscription cost between you and your friends. If you don't need four tickets, sell the rest and split the subscription cost on the buyers. Anyway it's not that much. Maybe it's not hard getting tickets on eBay for less that the subscription+ticket price in the US, but in Europe, at least in Norway, the black market prices at least doubles, often four times.

andyt

« Reply #61 on: March 12, 2009, 08:17:07 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Yesterday I had no problem getting four presale-tickets for the July 31st show in Gothenborg, Sweden.

Why don't split the subscription cost between you and your friends. If you don't need four tickets, sell the rest and split the subscription cost on the buyers. Anyway it's not that much. Maybe it's not hard getting tickets on eBay for less that the subscription+ticket price in the US, but in Europe, at least in Norway, the black market prices at least doubles, often four times.

I like your response - most people are rude back.

I hear what you're saying but it's the principle of the matter. It just seems unfair. If you're really into a band, you'll find out about the pre sales. Even if you just sign up to a free website. Lots of other bands do this.

It's just the old U2=money thing that gets me.

Offline are1981

• Babyface
  • U2 gigs give me life!
« Reply #62 on: March 12, 2009, 08:44:13 AM »

I hear what you're saying but it's the principle of the matter. It just seems unfair. If you're really into a band, you'll find out about the pre sales. Even if you just sign up to a free website. Lots of other bands do this.

I am a very principle-loving person. I actually love principles so much I often go crazy over "little" things. But I understand what you're saying, and I somewhat agree, but I've just accepted this and been a member since a few weeks before the Vertigo tour announcement, and I've just paid for my 5th year.

When talking about U2 and principles, what I really am angry about is that u2.com has not been stable for a time now. I've tried renewing for a few weeks, but the site was under conctruction. Last week, before the presale, the site was very unstable, I tried logging in and renewing several times a day, but with no success. Therefore I didn't manage to renew my subscription, but had to pay for a new subscription on March 9th, three days after my subscription ended March 6th. I had to pay US$50 instead of US$32, and I also went in the back of the presaleline, even though I've been a member for four years. I managed to get the tickets I wanted, but I still want to be credited for beeing a member for four years in next years presale!

(Maybe I should start a thread about this?)

andyt

« Reply #63 on: March 12, 2009, 08:47:37 AM »

I am a very principle-loving person. I actually love principles so much I often go crazy over "little" things. But I understand what you're saying, and I somewhat agree, but I've just accepted this and been a member since a few weeks before the Vertigo tour announcement, and I've just paid for my 5th year.

When talking about U2 and principles, what I really am angry about is that u2.com has not been stable for a time now. I've tried renewing for a few weeks, but the site was under conctruction. Last week, before the presale, the site was very unstable, I tried logging in and renewing several times a day, but with no success. Therefore I didn't manage to renew my subscription, but had to pay for a new subscription on March 9th, three days after my subscription ended March 6th. I had to pay US$50 instead of US$32, and I also went in the back of the presaleline, even though I've been a member for four years. I managed to get the tickets I wanted, but I still want to be credited for beeing a member for four years in next years presale!

I think you should!

I don't know - I think it's too complicated and I think it should definately be free.

The pre sale is meant to be for the fans and most fans will join a mailing list from a bands website. The trouble is, a lot of fans join just for the pre sale. I would imagine U2 make a fairly large profit on the fee let alone the ticket sales.

Keep it FREE U2 and co - I don't care what The Killers do, it's just unfair.

andyt

« Reply #64 on: March 12, 2009, 08:54:19 AM »

I think you should!

I don't know - I think it's too complicated and I think it should definately be free.

The pre sale is meant to be for the fans and most fans will join a mailing list from a bands website. The trouble is, a lot of fans join just for the pre sale. I would imagine U2 make a fairly large profit on the fee let alone the ticket sales.

Keep it FREE U2 and co - I don't care what The Killers do, it's just unfair.

I had similar problems with the Vertigo tour. I joined just for the pre sale and wasted $45 - no ticket, no refund, no apology.

I would suggest trying to contact/email them - I didn't have any luck but they might have sorted their customer service this time around?

Offline green19

• Babyface
« Reply #65 on: March 12, 2009, 10:08:09 AM »
No one is forcing you to buy a subscription to U2.com. These are massive stadiums, I don't think anyone will have a problem getting a ticket. And you have to recognize that U2 is a business, so the question is not should their fan club be free, but does it give good value for the money. I think it does, but you might think otherwise. So be it.

andyt

« Reply #66 on: March 12, 2009, 10:14:02 AM »
No one is forcing you to buy a subscription to U2.com. These are massive stadiums, I don't think anyone will have a problem getting a ticket. And you have to recognize that U2 is a business, so the question is not should their fan club be free, but does it give good value for the money. I think it does, but you might think otherwise. So be it.

I don't understand. Wouldn't you all prefer a pre sale that you didn't pay for? Like other bands/artists do?

No?

Very odd.

Offline sheisraging

• Babyface
  • I'm hatching some plot, scheming some scheme.....
« Reply #67 on: March 12, 2009, 10:33:47 AM »
Not doing it, but I seriously considered after seeing how many fans signed up. Peer pressure is a killer lol.

Offline aarond

• Party Girl/Boy
  • What no man can own, no man can take.
« Reply #68 on: March 12, 2009, 10:51:39 AM »
If people didn't pay then they would stop charging.

I happen to like the fan club, and would be in even if there were no presale. I like having access to all their tracks at any computer connected to the net. The t-shirt, discs and discount on merch isn't too bad either.

Not bothering to put my opinion of the charging for presale on here...both camps seem well represented. Just thought I'd say that at least one person exists who likes the fanclub because its a fanclub. Not for presale.

andyt

« Reply #69 on: March 12, 2009, 11:12:43 AM »
If people didn't pay then they would stop charging.

I happen to like the fan club, and would be in even if there were no presale. I like having access to all their tracks at any computer connected to the net. The t-shirt, discs and discount on merch isn't too bad either.

Not bothering to put my opinion of the charging for presale on here...both camps seem well represented. Just thought I'd say that at least one person exists who likes the fanclub because its a fanclub. Not for presale.

Yeah, I think that's fair. You get some more content and the cd etc.

I just feel the pre sale should be free as a lot of us have joined JUST to get the pre sale.

I know we all have a choice to subscribe or not but following a band can be an expensive task and paying for a subscription and a ticket is just too much.

Offline aarond

• Party Girl/Boy
  • What no man can own, no man can take.
« Reply #70 on: March 12, 2009, 06:25:39 PM »
The problem with the free presale is that scalpers would be signed up in droves...but I think a lot of the paperless ticketing stuff could be a good work around. It's like computer viruses I suppose. Every time there is a cure somebody comes up with a way to beat it. And those scalpers are a virus for sure. (Not all ticket resellers are, but actual scalpers pi*s me off)

andyt

« Reply #71 on: March 13, 2009, 03:03:23 AM »
The problem with the free presale is that scalpers would be signed up in droves...but I think a lot of the paperless ticketing stuff could be a good work around. It's like computer viruses I suppose. Every time there is a cure somebody comes up with a way to beat it. And those scalpers are a virus for sure. (Not all ticket resellers are, but actual scalpers pi*s me off)

Agreed there - scalpers are w**kers.

Offline jeanettehebb

• Babyface
« Reply #72 on: March 13, 2009, 07:36:34 AM »
I have just paid my subscription and keeping fingers crossed that presale tickets are available. I think it will be even harder to get them on public sale unless you want to pay over the odds for them.

Offline indiansummer

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #73 on: March 13, 2009, 08:20:49 AM »
A wise move to join u2.com, the public sale could be a nightmare if today is anything to go by........

Offline mbeano

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #74 on: March 13, 2009, 09:55:54 AM »

Agreed there - scalpers are w**kers.

Completely agree.
A free presale would be COMPLETELY dominated by scalpers, and your/our ticket situation would be FAR worse than now.  If you think you had problems before, HA!  a free presale would be 100X worse.  At least with paid fanclub member we have a chance...

I feel for the people that had problems the last time with the presale.  I know I would be very upset as, well. Fortunately I somehow was unaffected by it.  For Elevation, and Vertigo and I think Popmart (I cant remember for Popmart, those days are hazy now)  I signed up relatively late for all, but not last minute, prob a month or 2 before tour announcements.  I signed up all times predominantly for the fanclub tix.  EACH TIME I had floor seats, without a single glitch.  In some cases it was scary not knowing what tix I had until past the public onsale, so that was scary, but other than that it was a clean easy simple and painless process, that left me with GREAT seats.  I guess I got lucky.

However, I think it is worth considering what you are wishing for.  For a band of U2s stature/popularity whose scalped tickets command some of the highest prices, if not THE highest prices, and who beat even the Stones in terms or seats sold, a free presale would almost certainly cancel you out of any good seat.  Bands with less demand can get away with this because the demand is not ANYWHERE near the level of U2.  This goes for everything with U2.  The popularity is far too high.  It takes a team/company to handle the logistics of a tour, website, etc this massive.

U2.com was down for some time... of course it was.  With a site refresh, and a sudden flush of heavy traffic, this is expected.  This happens to ANY website with large trafficflow... Apple's site during the launch of the iPhone.  Things on a scale this large take a huge staff and alot of resources to run