Author Topic: If you're think of joing U2.com for the pre-sale...  (Read 21943 times)

Offline aarond

• Party Girl/Boy
  • What no man can own, no man can take.
Re: If you're think of joing U2.com for the pre-sale...
« Reply #75 on: March 13, 2009, 10:08:56 AM »
Bottom line is scalpers will find a way to get tickets and turn them for some money. Unfortunately the only way around it is cutting into their pocketbooks, or making normal buyers like us jump through hoops. I think U2 has learned well from their mistakes on vertigo, and at least if you join for presale you get a few other bonuses too. I wish they'd use that money to pay the ticket fees though so we could truly get them for face value...or come up with a way to make buying the tickets a little less painful in the wallet so fans wouldn't mind paying extra for the presale portion.

andyt

« Reply #76 on: March 13, 2009, 10:24:36 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Bottom line is scalpers will find a way to get tickets and turn them for some money. Unfortunately the only way around it is cutting into their pocketbooks, or making normal buyers like us jump through hoops. I think U2 has learned well from their mistakes on vertigo, and at least if you join for presale you get a few other bonuses too. I wish they'd use that money to pay the ticket fees though so we could truly get them for face value...or come up with a way to make buying the tickets a little less painful in the wallet so fans wouldn't mind paying extra for the presale portion.

Well, there are lots of ways to exclude scalpers. The Glastonbury festival has hundreds of thousands of tickets and they've devised a way that means tickets can't be sold on.

Don't forget concerts are MASSIVE business and everyone is trying to get a slice of the pie.

I agree with you on making tickets cheaper. But I think a better way is to make the pre sale free so people aren't signing up and effectively paying an extra $50 for their ticket. Why people are defending this I have no idea as surely everyone would like to pay a little less for something that for a lot of people, is a luxury.

U2 are a forward looking band - I'm sure they could think of a way. Or maybe they like the extra cash.

Offline aarond

• Party Girl/Boy
  • What no man can own, no man can take.
« Reply #77 on: March 13, 2009, 10:31:12 AM »
I can understand the argument of a free presale if its coming from somebody who joined for that reason. I stated (in one of these threads, not sure which) that I joined because I liked the u2 fanclub (and it was a gift from my wife). So from my point of view, I am a fanclub member who happens to get presale. I joined thinking that after last tours presale (which I was not a part of) they wouldn't do it this time. So its kind of a bonus for me. I'm not going to defend that people must pay is the only fair way, because nobody can say its the ONLY way and not be fooled or a liar. I'm just saying I'm coming at it from a different side than most.

andyt

« Reply #78 on: March 13, 2009, 10:40:17 AM »
I can understand the argument of a free presale if its coming from somebody who joined for that reason. I stated (in one of these threads, not sure which) that I joined because I liked the u2 fanclub (and it was a gift from my wife). So from my point of view, I am a fanclub member who happens to get presale. I joined thinking that after last tours presale (which I was not a part of) they wouldn't do it this time. So its kind of a bonus for me. I'm not going to defend that people must pay is the only fair way, because nobody can say its the ONLY way and not be fooled or a liar. I'm just saying I'm coming at it from a different side than most.

You're right - nothing at all wrong with joining for all the content + the pre sale - and a nice gift from your wife!!!

But a lot of people join just to get pre sale tickets - maybe they could do a free pre sale and have a 'gold membership' level for people who want the rest of the content on the subscription site?

Offline bonogrl from Boston

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • I had the feeling it was out of control
« Reply #79 on: March 13, 2009, 10:41:59 AM »

I feel the same way as you do.  I have been a paying member since before Vertigo and I wasn't expecting the pre-sale this time around.  I was hoping, I'm not going to lie, but I didn't expect anything.  

As far as ways to prevent scalping, a lot of people have suggested that one way to prevent this is to make it so you have to show ID to get in and I just don't see how this could work for a couple of reasons.  The first being the large number of people going to the shows.  I went to see Bruce Springsteen at Gillette this past summer and the lines just to get in were horrendous because they had to search your bag and pat you down and it was very very chaotic.  And all they had to do was scan the ticket, imagine if they had to check IDs as well?  The other reason why I don't think it is a good idea is because sometimes you buy a ticket to a show and something unforseen happens and you can't go (illness, pregancy, death in the family).  So if they make it so you have to be there for the tickets to be accepted then you can't unload them and you are out the money for something that is beyond your control.  Third thing is that if they use new technology and put these practices into place it will end up costing more and that will trickle to us in the ticket prices.  Just my few cents on that.  Reality is they can never fully prevent it, but charging for pre-sale is one way that they are trying to cut down on it (not that they also aren't benefitting from the money).

andyt

« Reply #80 on: March 13, 2009, 10:57:32 AM »

I feel the same way as you do.  I have been a paying member since before Vertigo and I wasn't expecting the pre-sale this time around.  I was hoping, I'm not going to lie, but I didn't expect anything.  

As far as ways to prevent scalping, a lot of people have suggested that one way to prevent this is to make it so you have to show ID to get in and I just don't see how this could work for a couple of reasons.  The first being the large number of people going to the shows.  I went to see Bruce Springsteen at Gillette this past summer and the lines just to get in were horrendous because they had to search your bag and pat you down and it was very very chaotic.  And all they had to do was scan the ticket, imagine if they had to check IDs as well?  The other reason why I don't think it is a good idea is because sometimes you buy a ticket to a show and something unforseen happens and you can't go (illness, pregancy, death in the family).  So if they make it so you have to be there for the tickets to be accepted then you can't unload them and you are out the money for something that is beyond your control.  Third thing is that if they use new technology and put these practices into place it will end up costing more and that will trickle to us in the ticket prices.  Just my few cents on that.  Reality is they can never fully prevent it, but charging for pre-sale is one way that they are trying to cut down on it (not that they also aren't benefitting from the money).

I see your point - but the paid pre sale doesn't stop scalpers. At least it didn't with the Vertigo tour.

Michael Jackson just sold out 50 nights in London - there was a pre sale but it was free to sign up.

And you're right about every venue needing the same technology etc to cope with id.

So, it just boils down to free or not free pre sale. Scalpers will get in on the act whatever happens.

Here's the maths. A scalper buys a subscription for $50. He buys 4 tickets at $55 with the intention of selling them on. The ticket + subscription works out at about $67 per ticket ($50 spread over 4 tickets). He sells them on at double that. Losing $12 per ticket on the subscription isn't much of an incentive for him/her not to do it...

Offline bonogrl from Boston

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • I had the feeling it was out of control
« Reply #81 on: March 13, 2009, 11:04:43 AM »
You are right and I never said that it stopped, I just said it was a way of trying to cut down.  After the last fiasco they are actually being very aggressive in trying to prevent this.  They are disabling any presale codes that are found for sale on e-bay and we the fans can help them out (there's more info on this in another post but I don't remember where.  I'll try to find it.)  So maybe a little portion of the money you pay is going to the salary of the people who are actively staying on top of this issue to prevent the U2 fans from getting screwed like last time.  However, that could be a load of cr*p, it's just in my nature to believe the good in people before assuming the bad (which makes me a bad taget for a stalker!).  Again, I'm not saying that U2's only motivation is to prevent scalping, I just don't think greed is their # 1 motivation either.  Ok, I'm done now!   :D

Offline mbeano

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #82 on: March 13, 2009, 08:21:45 PM »
You are right and I never said that it stopped, I just said it was a way of trying to cut down.  After the last fiasco they are actually being very aggressive in trying to prevent this.  They are disabling any presale codes that are found for sale on e-bay and we the fans can help them out (there's more info on this in another post but I don't remember where.  I'll try to find it.)  So maybe a little portion of the money you pay is going to the salary of the people who are actively staying on top of this issue to prevent the U2 fans from getting screwed like last time.  However, that could be a load of cr*p, it's just in my nature to believe the good in people before assuming the bad (which makes me a bad taget for a stalker!).  Again, I'm not saying that U2's only motivation is to prevent scalping, I just don't think greed is their # 1 motivation either.  Ok, I'm done now!   :D

This is exactly one of the points MANY people have been trying to make.  It has never been about eliminating scalpers.  It is more about reducing scalping and also providing fans with the best possible outcome.  People already have noted how much of a nightmare it would be to check IDs, espcially in a stadium with so many people.  So that is clearly one of the worst scenarios possible

If it is purely down to free vs paid presale, as andy says.  Then my choice is clear.  PAID.  Will it eliminate scalping, of course not, but will a cost to get into the presale make my chances of getting a great ticket far better than if the presale were free?  ABSOLUTELY.

ON a band the scale of U2's size and demand we are not just competing with scalpers but also the casual concert goer.  Smaller band can do the free presale with success for 1) the logistics of doing the presale is far less and far cheaper 2) The demand is not that high, meaning scalpers are less likely to scoop up as many tix because they is less demand and profit for thier efforts.  They cant sell it for as high a price as a U2 ticket, so they are less likely to bother with getting as many tix.  Even if it is mathematically sound for a scalper to spend $50 on a member or several memberships, this still reduces the amount they would be able to scoop up, it also reduces the likelihood of casual concert goers beating you out on the presale, or doing a little low level scalping as well.

People are defending it, because the alternatives are worse: being beaten out by the casual fan, profressional scalpers scooping up far more free presale tix than they would if the presale is paid w subscription, the average person being far more likely to scalp, since they dont have to pay for a presale, on a sure bet on a hot ticket like U2, and the major inconveniences and logiistical nightmares of ID checks or similar.

Offline globaljosh

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #83 on: March 14, 2009, 10:16:34 AM »

This is exactly one of the points MANY people have been trying to make.  It has never been about eliminating scalpers.  It is more about reducing scalping and also providing fans with the best possible outcome.  People already have noted how much of a nightmare it would be to check IDs, espcially in a stadium with so many people.  So that is clearly one of the worst scenarios possible

If it is purely down to free vs paid presale, as andy says.  Then my choice is clear.  PAID.  Will it eliminate scalping, of course not, but will a cost to get into the presale make my chances of getting a great ticket far better than if the presale were free?  ABSOLUTELY.

ON a band the scale of U2's size and demand we are not just competing with scalpers but also the casual concert goer.  Smaller band can do the free presale with success for 1) the logistics of doing the presale is far less and far cheaper 2) The demand is not that high, meaning scalpers are less likely to scoop up as many tix because they is less demand and profit for thier efforts.  They cant sell it for as high a price as a U2 ticket, so they are less likely to bother with getting as many tix.  Even if it is mathematically sound for a scalper to spend $50 on a member or several memberships, this still reduces the amount they would be able to scoop up, it also reduces the likelihood of casual concert goers beating you out on the presale, or doing a little low level scalping as well.

People are defending it, because the alternatives are worse: being beaten out by the casual fan, profressional scalpers scooping up far more free presale tix than they would if the presale is paid w subscription, the average person being far more likely to scalp, since they dont have to pay for a presale, on a sure bet on a hot ticket like U2, and the major inconveniences and logiistical nightmares of ID checks or similar.

/thread

Offline PL96

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #84 on: March 26, 2009, 11:23:37 AM »
I dont know people...If you read your membership properly you dont pay for the ''pre-sale'' you pay to be a member of U2.com...You pay to receive an exclusive double cd.  You pay to get access to all the cool things on u2.com.  You pay to get your own u2.com email address.  The pre-sale is just an extra for the years the band is on tour.  If you wanna get less scalpers to get access to thos pre-sales you dont give pre-sale code to new members after the tour is announced and that's it.  Just good old u2.com members like us.  Goy my tickets for the Toronto gig a couple days ago.  Happy this pre-sale exist I dont have to go sleep outside like I used to do...

Offline yam_yam

• Refugee
« Reply #85 on: March 26, 2009, 11:52:06 AM »
speaking of this double cd......

i have been a paid member for about two months now and have yet to have my cd. when should i expect it?

Offline Songs_Of_Ascension

• Babyface
« Reply #86 on: March 26, 2009, 12:02:34 PM »
They said the CD is not gonna be mailed until the first or second week of April.