Author Topic: So is it spinning? Or is that just me?  (Read 8082 times)

streetmission

Re: So is it spinning? Or is that just me?
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2009, 03:19:16 PM »
Now that I think about it, it can't rotate.  So they were pretty much misleading us by saying there'll be no defined front or back to the stage.  The band has to face one direction; and it's not new that the video screen will also be facing behind the band.  They've always had screens facing that direction for those seated behind the stage.  What exactly is innovative about the design?  Those spider legs will obstruct some views, and Edge's and Adam's equipment has to sit somewhere on stage.

Offline dangerous and honest

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Outside its a car park! Outside its a car park!
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2009, 04:44:59 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Now that I think about it, it can't rotate.  So they were pretty much misleading us by saying there'll be no defined front or back to the stage.  The band has to face one direction; and it's not new that the video screen will also be facing behind the band.  They've always had screens facing that direction for those seated behind the stage.  What exactly is innovative about the design?  Those spider legs will obstruct some views, and Edge's and Adam's equipment has to sit somewhere on stage.

This all has me a bit perplexed too.

Surely there must be something different about this stage set, but what?

Otherwise, its just a bigger version of a theme that has been done before by other acts. Those expensive tickets 'behind' the stage don't look good value to me if the band are facing the other direction for most of the gig.

Maybe were are missing something? Or perhaps it was just oversold.

At the moment, GA tickets look the best value.

Offline Falling At Your Feet

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2009, 05:59:46 PM »
[/quote
Those expensive tickets 'behind' the stage don't look good value to me if the band are facing the other direction for most of the gig.

[/quote]

Take a look at this seating chart,
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login)
it's from the Amsterdam Arena, it has the seating prices, colour coded, so we can all finally see how the seating pricing works.
Whats interesting is that the "expensive" seats you mention behind the stage, are actually the cheapest seats.(yellow sections) That says to me that those people will be watching their backs for a  lot of the concert, I assume they will turn around for a few songs, but they can't be doing this for prolonged periods of the show. The most expensive sections are the Green sections in the lower tier of the stands.

All the stadiums awill have different layouts, so this is not the standard, but it gives an idea.

I have had a good look around and this is the only seating chart which clearly shows the different price tiers. I am sure other layouts will be released soon, but this is the only one I could find

Offline macphisto96

• Stateless
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2009, 06:30:21 PM »
Part of me thinks the whole inside of that circle, fans and all, will rotate slowly.  It doesn't have to rotate quickly at all, just incrementally.  I could really see that whole circles inside the outer catwalk rotating. 

That would certainly qualify as unlike anything we've ever seen.

Offline FishLips

• Stateless
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2009, 06:34:32 PM »
I don't see why this is so confusing to some people.

It's 360 degrees of visibility.  Same as the Vertigo tour N. America.  It doesn't have to rotate for the band to be visible from all directions.  I sat behind the stage in Portland in 2005, and I had a spectacular view of the entire band.  What makes it special is that this is a 360 degree view in a stadium setting - which according to them has never been done before.

The stage will not be rotating, and I know this for a couple reasons.  First of all, it's not round.  It's oval.  Secondly, the entire structure is massive - and temporary.  If it were a free-standing structure in the middle of an open lot and nobody standing within 50 feet of it, they could conceivably make the thing rotate - and it would look ridiculous.  But it's going to be in a confined stadium with 40-100 thousand people, depending on the venue.  So no.  It's not going to rotate.

UNLESS there's a small portion in the middle of the stage that will be set up to rotate.   But I highly doubt it.  It wouldn't add anything to the show, and it would probably look stupid.  The band are living, human beings.  All but Larry can move around and face different directions without the help of a rotating stage.  And it's just as fun to watch Larry drum from behind as it is from the front.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 06:46:46 PM by FishLips »

hurricane hugo

« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2009, 10:33:38 PM »
I don't see why this is so confusing to some people.

It's 360 degrees of visibility.  Same as the Vertigo tour N. America.  It doesn't have to rotate for the band to be visible from all directions.  I sat behind the stage in Portland in 2005, and I had a spectacular view of the entire band.  What makes it special is that this is a 360 degree view in a stadium setting - which according to them has never been done before.

The stage will not be rotating, and I know this for a couple reasons.  First of all, it's not round.  It's oval.  Secondly, the entire structure is massive - and temporary.  If it were a free-standing structure in the middle of an open lot and nobody standing within 50 feet of it, they could conceivably make the thing rotate - and it would look ridiculous.  But it's going to be in a confined stadium with 40-100 thousand people, depending on the venue.  So no.  It's not going to rotate.

UNLESS there's a small portion in the middle of the stage that will be set up to rotate.   But I highly doubt it.  It wouldn't add anything to the show, and it would probably look stupid.  The band are living, human beings.  All but Larry can move around and face different directions without the help of a rotating stage.  And it's just as fun to watch Larry drum from behind as it is from the front.

hahahahahahahahahaha...why don't you people look up some live videos from Def Leppard's '87-'88 tour. You'll plainly see that Rick Allen's drum kit revolves while the rest of the (square) stage stays put. After that, look up some Yes bootleg videos from their '91 Union tour, where the entire stage revolves...very slowly - maybe 10 times over the course of a 2hr, 45min show.

#@!

Offline FishLips

• Stateless
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2009, 12:59:31 AM »
hahahahahahahahahaha...why don't you people look up some live videos from Def Leppard's '87-'88 tour. You'll plainly see that Rick Allen's drum kit revolves while the rest of the (square) stage stays put. After that, look up some Yes bootleg videos from their '91 Union tour, where the entire stage revolves...very slowly - maybe 10 times over the course of a 2hr, 45min show.

#@!

I know it's been done before.. but so has sliced bread.  There's nothing interesting about a drummer rotating during a concert.  If I'm sitting behind him, I'd rather he stay put.  It's actually fun to watch him from behind.

I was at the '91 Yes concert and I honestly didn't remember that it rotated.  That's how un-interesting it was and why nobody bothers to do it anymore.

As for the U2 stage.. It's just not physically possible.  As I said before... it's oval... it spans over a large portion of the floor crowd... etc.  And if they're thinking of putting Larry on a rotating platform, I'd rather they spend their money on the sound system or the cylindrical screen.

Please.. can we stop with the rotating stage talk?
« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 01:14:09 AM by FishLips »

andyt

« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2009, 04:25:26 AM »
I don't understand this 360 degrees thing - how is this any different from for the Elevation Tour? Apart from the fact it's a free standing structure which is only interesting to, well, no one.

The band faced 'forwards' and people behind the stage watched the backs of the bands heads. Unless the stage rotates which, as someone pointed out here, probably won't happen then it's just another set a bit like Elevation. Didn't Lovetown sell tickets behind the band too?

Prince played in the round recently which you could call 360 degress - I'm just not sure what makes this such an interesting concept but we'll have to wait and see.

Also, with those enormous (and a bit silly) spiders legs, surely people within the site lines of those will definately have an obstructed view of the stage.

I think this concept might be marketing over practical reality...

Offline globaljosh

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2009, 10:09:17 AM »

I was at the '91 Yes concert and I honestly didn't remember that it rotated.  That's how un-interesting it was and why nobody bothers to do it anymore.

Man, I was at that show too. Florida State Fairgrounds Expo Hall, in Tampa. I'd just graduated high school. I guess a lot of U2 fanswent to this show! (I wasn't even a U2 fan then.) I don't remember it spinning either. I just remember that Awaken was brilliant!

Offline aurabender

• Numb
  • dressed up like a car crash
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2009, 04:23:25 PM »
I am not sure where people keep getting lost here. The stage is round and flat, but it does not move. The drum kit is pushed forward to the middle of the stage instead of traditionally being in the "back". ( While the Vertigo stage may have been round, the drum kit was placed in the back and the band seldom, if ever, performed behind the drum kit facing the crowd in the back. The stage does not move, but the positioning of the drums to center stage allows the other band members to move about facing the crowd in all directions, although they will spend most of their time facing a "front" of the stage. This has been done dozens of times IN ARENAS, but not to this scale and not in an only stadium tour. THAT is the unique part - they are presenting in an stadium environment tour. The uniqueness of the stage lies much more in the central lighting rig and the round video screen then the shape of the stage. I doubt you will see the amount of amps ON the stage as in previous tours, thus really giving an open 360 degree view of the stage.

Offline dirtdrybonesandstone

• Numb
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2009, 07:24:23 PM »
By the time I sit down and tabulate all the costs (travels, food, accomodations, multiple shows etc) associating with going to the concerts, I am sure the stage will look like it's spinning. ;D
Uhh, dont go then.

Offline JuniorEmblem

• Child of Grace
  • 10 types, those who know binary & those who don't
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2009, 08:09:53 PM »
I don't understand this 360 degrees thing - how is this any different from for the Elevation Tour?

It's no different from the elevation or Vertigo indoor tour.

Here's what it REALLY is: It's Paul McGuinne$$ Bullsh!t hype to get you to shell out money for behind-the-stage tickets in a stadium setting. In other words, doing the unthinkable - getting you to buy tix not only behind the stage (which are actually good value in the arena setting, done it a few times myself, recommended at the price) but far and high away from the stage too.

Gotta hand it to the guy, if he pulls this off he can sell snow to the Eskimos, or sell snake oil to Jerry Falwell.

Offline beau99

• Stateless
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2009, 08:21:56 PM »
I don't understand this 360 degrees thing - how is this any different from for the Elevation Tour?

Here's what it REALLY is: It's Paul McGuinne$$ Bullsh!t hype to get you to shell out money for behind-the-stage tickets in a stadium setting. In other words, doing the unthinkable - getting you to buy tix not only behind the stage (which are actually good value in the arena setting, done it a few times myself, recommended at the price) but far and high away from the stage too.

Gotta hand it to the guy, if he pulls this off he can sell snow to the Eskimos, or sell snake oil to Jerry Falwell.

Good grief... enough with the McGuinness bashing already.

Offline JuniorEmblem

• Child of Grace
  • 10 types, those who know binary & those who don't
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2009, 08:31:58 PM »

Good grief... enough with the McGuinness bashing already.

Why ? Is there any other reason for the "this has never been done before" and "10,000 tickets will be less than $30" and "tiered stadiums only" lies ? Because that's what they are - Blatant unadulterated lies designed to sell more tickets than can normally expected in a stadium. I'm just not buying his kool-aid, I recognize bullsh!t when I smell it, and he stinks to high heaven right now.

Offline FishLips

• Stateless
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2009, 08:46:31 PM »

Why ? Is there any other reason for the "this has never been done before" and "10,000 tickets will be less than $30" and "tiered stadiums only" lies ? Because that's what they are - Blatant unadulterated lies designed to sell more tickets than can normally expected in a stadium. I'm just not buying his kool-aid, I recognize bullsh!t when I smell it, and he stinks to high heaven right now.

Relax, JE.  He's only doing his job.  Do you get upset when you don't have bikini-clad women at your feet every time you open a Bud Light, too?