Author Topic: Does "Presented by Blackberry" make anyone else cringe?  (Read 2962 times)

Offline globaljosh

• Intellectual Tortoise
Re: Does "Presented by Blackberry" make anyone else cringe?
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2009, 12:18:34 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
U2 have actually had tour sponsors before. Best Buy sponsored Elevation, and I think VISA sponsored the Vertigo Tour. They've just been more subtle in the past. The fact that fans generally believe U2 don't receive sponsorship for their tours is a testament to this. The Best Buy deal amounted to little more than a mention on the ticket stubs, an occasional poster in the arena, and a one week exclusive head start on sales of the Live in Boston DVD.

As for the more prominent BlackBerry sponsorship, that sort of visibility almost certainly translated into more money from the deal to U2. A generous interpretation would be that this was necessary to keep ticket prices down. A cynical interpretation would be that U2 want more money. And there's also the image factor here, that U2 want to associate themselves with a decidedly modern brand (although seriously, is there any brand that is at once so contemporary and yet less hip than BlackBerry?). Frankly, I'm surprised the tour wasn't sponsored by Apple. They could have even made their stage the Spinning Beach Ball of Death (kidding! kidding!).

ETA: Also, this does call into question how U2 will perform "Unknown Caller" live: "I was lost/Between the Bold and the Storm..."

Or "Moment of Surrender:" "I was punching in the numbers/on my touchscreen RIM machine..."

Less hip than Blackberry = Palm.

I hope you were joking and know that it should be the other way around.

Oops, didn't mean to hijack the thread, but indeed not! I just traded out of a long line of Palms and couldn't be happier. Most recently had a Palm Treo WX700 (three of them, actually) and it was slowww, cumbersome, unreliable, and still had a stylus! (!!) Seemed like it died every 30-60 days, usually when I was on a trip somewhere. In contrast, my new Blackberry Curve rocks. I've got three email addresses coming into it simultaneously, and it is FAST; it multitasks with ease where the Palm would always bog down. I thought long and hard about getting an iPhone, but I text and type so much (often while driving a car, boat, etc) that the touch screen would be impractical for me. My blackberry is sleeker, faster, and operates far more efficiently and elegantly than did my Palm.

This concludes my hijacking. You may now return to your regularly-scheduled thread, brought to you by Blackberry. (TM)

Offline in_eden

• Stateless
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2009, 12:21:53 PM »
Since ZooTV every U2 tour has been underwritten. Popmart was done by a private individual (canadian i think) and Clear Channel/Live Nation have had lots to do with the last two.
This is the first with such a clearly labled sponsor.
It is the state of the concert industry that requires this sort of thing... plus the gigantic scale of this thing... to not charge $200 a ticket and make money (only 29 dates confirmed) on the tour they need sponsorship.
It is unfortunate...
But it's the way it is.

Offline SaintMike

• Refugee
  • Sponsored by Blackberry!
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2009, 01:08:35 PM »
I'm pretty certain that the tickets for Vertigo had "VH1 Presents" on them.  Not Best Buy.

Offline Evil Bono

• Numb
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2009, 01:11:53 PM »
I think VH1 did sponser the Vertigo Tour.