Author Topic: GA Lottery Yes or no  (Read 1963 times)

Offline indiansummer

• Running to Stand Still
GA Lottery Yes or no
« on: March 10, 2009, 06:40:01 AM »
Anyone heard if the ludicrous lottery for the inner section of GA is definitely going ahead in Europe. They had it in USA last time but we don't need it in Europe, we don't mind queuing !! ;D

Offline nick88

• Stranger in a Strange Land
Re: GA Lottery Yes or no
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 08:18:37 AM »
I agree, the u2 tour manager said that this system was used on the American leg of the vertigo tour because many fans followed the elevation tour and were inside the heart night after night. I don't think this system should be used in Europe as you can only buy tickets for 1 show. In my opinion if a fan waits in line for hours, then they deserve to in the circle.

Offline jimhb

• Babyface
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009, 10:54:49 AM »
Hopefully they will do first come first served for all dates on this tour. It seems like it could be a nightmare for them not to do so. The scanner thing worked in smaller arenas, but not for larger shows with thousands more attending.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 10:56:56 AM by jimhb »

Offline indiansummer

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2009, 11:00:28 AM »
I can't see it working either , it would take far too long to administrate. Also what if you are in a party of four how many of you get in?
Crazy idea , surely the diehards will turn up early and it's these people who get into the inner area. 

Offline EdgeFest [Zenmaster360]

• Airborne Ranger
  • My blog: mrstheedge.com
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2009, 11:05:51 AM »
All I can say is I'm pretty glad the very last date is the one I'm going to, everyone will be experts in how this works by the time Vancouver rolls around....

Good luck to those of you in Chicago!

Offline aarond

• Party Girl/Boy
  • What no man can own, no man can take.
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2009, 11:11:59 AM »
The 3 group method of presale is sort of a lottery...as those of us with a few months membership get grouped with those who have been members for years. I am a few month person, so I got lucky, but see it as slightly unfair.

Offline peggy2ten

• Stateless
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2009, 11:37:53 AM »
Sorry, but I liked the lottery.  I'm a middle aged fan and while I have no problems standing during the entire show (who can sit down?) and don't like spending all day in line - especially if I'm traveling to see U2 - I want to see something of the city.  I had GA tickets for 7 Vertigo shows.  Boston did it best.  All you had to do was to show up early to get a number and then return about an hour or two before the doors opened.  Us die hard U2 fans got up very early to be among the first to get numbers but had the rest of the day to enjoy the city.  Those of us that were early either got very close to the stage or on the rail outside of the Ellipse.  Even when I just showed up two hours before the doors opened (Madison Square Garden), I got scanned into the Ellipse and was in the 2nd row in front of Adam - just behind fans that spent all day waiting in the rain - how bad is 2nd row?

It sounds like fans in Europe only had to line up in the afternoon.  In the US, for Elevation, the GA lines just kept getting earlier and earlier.  It got so bad that some fans going to back to back shows left the concert and got right back in line again.  Waiting over 24 hours is just ridiculous.  The lottery helped to solve that problem.

We'll just have to wait and see what happens this time....

Offline Pop Rules

• Babyface
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2009, 02:58:38 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Sorry, but I liked the lottery... I had GA tickets for 7 Vertigo shows.

This about says it all.