Author Topic: Any Members here have Kids? Any of them U2 fans or anti U2 Fans because of you?  (Read 5310 times)

daveyg

Just pondering how many of you have kids. If so, are any of them old enough to appreciate U2, and if so, are any o them old enough to have bene put off my their parents' U2 raving?

I've a few kids, but my eldest is 16, who, like his dad plays music, and isn't a U2 fan per se, but loves using off the wall U2 quotes to hsi non-U2 fans. I remember over hearing him discussing with the guitarist in his band about a song they were rehearsing, and hearing "It's a musical journey" being used a few times. The guitarist had absolutely no idea what he was talking about. "If I had a head like yours, I'd bleedin' bury it" is another one Ive heard.

Offline toolz2112

• Wanderer
  • they just.. sound different
my father was a big U2 fan, and hence ive turned out the same, if not actually a bit more addicted to the band....but who is complaining about that!  :P

Offline u2yooper

• Airborne Ranger
  • Life should be fragrant- rooftop to the basement
I've got three, all of them U2 fans to varying degrees.  My oldest is 14, and I think he wants to be Bono when he grows up.  At the very least, he's scouting around for musicians in school to form a band with (of course, he'd be the singer!).  He can talk U2 for hours.  My daughter is slightly less enthused, but the charms of a certain drummer have pulled her in.  She's into the acoustic version of 'Stuck in a Moment' right now.  The funniest is my seven-year old.  He's drawn me stick-figure pictures of the band, and i've heard him singing 'Elevation' and 'Pride' quietly to himself as he plays.  Quotes from the band come up often in our daily conversation, too.  My kids' friends have no clue what we're talking about!

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
I've got 2 boys (ages 10 and 5). I think I have mentioned in another thread that their father has started a war (pun intended) in our home.  He is trying to poison them into liking his favorite artist (Bruce Springsteen) and to NOT like U2.  Well I am in the process of bringing the boys away from the dark side and into the light. They now own a few U2 t shirts and I took the older one to see U23D.  He thought it was kind of cool.  But I need to bring him to the next concert to really win him over.  It is never too young to start brainswashing the 5 year old.  I'm trying but he seems to be sticking with his Dad.  I spend more time with him so I'll get him over to my side.  Remember, no matter how young your children are, you must work on them and mold them into good U2 fans!  Then you can share that love with them when they are older.  By the way, I really don't hate Bruce, just not a fan. 

Offline Starfish

• Acrobat
  • Yay, it's Larry!!!
The ratio of my children to U2 fans is 3:0  :(

I'm a failure  :'(....

Hawkmoon2e

Oh yeah. My son will be 4 next month, and he's a U2 fan indeed. I don't really talk about the band all that much, but by playing their music, he totally found a liking towards them. Plus, the big framed Elevation Tour picture in our living room has always fascinated him. He'll tell total strangers about Larry the Drummer. Or Edge...or any of them, really.
He also likes Springsteen because I got him a tour shirt at the concert last year.
He just loves music in general, and is always pounding his drum sticks on just about anything he can. I encourage it, but I did have to hide my "Bono sticks" - the sticks Bono played on the tip of the ellipse, at a Vertigo show, and were handed to me right after that.  8)

Offline EdgeUK8_my_mind

• Desert Rose
  • I need you to elevate me here
I'll transfer my post from the "Real World" section from a similar thread there [clarifications in brackets].  You can check out the original thread there for others' ideas.

-------------------------------------------
Yes, I am also trying to sway my [3] kids [to be U2 fans], via some ways already mentioned (MLK as a lullaby, although "Sweet Baby James" probably beat out MLK in terms of frequency).  My oldest (now 13) picked it up the most when we would hand wash the dishes and "have" to have some music to break up the monotony.  She has been exposed to the widest range of albums and recognizes lines or tunes from many of the older albums, plus the new stuff.  She saw U2-3D and will probably go with me to see the next tour.

My son (10) loves Vertigo and SYCMIOYO plus a few from ATYCLB.  His modest dislike for the older stuff comes from times when he was looking for his shoes, backpack, etc. and my oldest would sing "But I still haven't found...".  He liked U2-3D a lot but will probably not go to this next tour (easier to get floor seats for 2, plus he is a bit young).  My youngest daughter (7) did not see U2-3D and says "do we have to listen to U2 again" when my son puts it in.

I guess 2 out of 3 ain't bad.  Batting .350 will put you in the hall of fame in baseball.

Offline CGE

• Precious Stone
  • Without TUF there never would have been JT- Edge
I have two kids, my 19 year old Joshua Tree baby and a 13 year old who has had a crush on Edge for the last 6-7 years. I keep telling her that he is older than her father but she doesnt care. Both have grown up listening. The older one never paid much attention to what I was listening to although he has a great appreciation for all music and I attribute that to a good life long schooling in all things U2. My youngest has moved on from all U2. She knows the words to most U2 songs and when I put a Bono quote out there she knows what is from. Ex: "Got a frog in my throat"  Sunday, Bloody Sunday is one of her all time favorites.
If your kids aren't huge fans, its okay. Think about the great music you have exposed them to that can only lead to appreciation of fine music as they age. If they are big fans, how fun is that??You have someone to talk nonstop U2 with!   

Offline whitewave

• Child of Grace
  • she's the wave,she turns the Tide
Mine..well  let's put it this way..they like the music but are no longer willing to admit it.  The phrase 'anything but U2' has erupted several times' in my household, and 'Mom- turn it down'.  Not to mention kamakazi sidewalk chalk wars with my daughter which took her over the edge when I pronounced proudly "There would be no GreenDay without U2".   ;D

Offline guitarz

• Wanderer
Got 3, from 10 to 16.

Of course they were fed U2 tunes since they all were born, and when younger, they would sing along in the car or house.

But now being older,they kind of roll their eyes   ::) when they're with me and I play some U2 (what else???)

Offline Starfish

• Acrobat
  • Yay, it's Larry!!!
Listen to all these success stories! What am I doing wrong?  :-\

Offline u2yooper

• Airborne Ranger
  • Life should be fragrant- rooftop to the basement
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Mine..well  let's put it this way..they like the music but are no longer willing to admit it.  The phrase 'anything but U2' has erupted several times' in my household, and 'Mom- turn it down'.

lol! I get the same thing- "Mom, turn your music down!"  What kind of weird family is this where the kids are telling their mother to turn her music down?  Then I got to thinking, maybe their friends' moms don't go around singing 'She wore lemon..." in their best Bono falsetto and belting out 'Streets' in the van.  I guess I'll have to be careful not to embarrass them when their friends are around.   :-\  Sorry, Starfish about your utter failure to indoctrinate your children into the one true church.  You're sure these kids are yours?  Could there have been some sort of mix-up in the hospital?
« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 06:56:15 AM by u2yooper »

Offline Starfish

• Acrobat
  • Yay, it's Larry!!!
The youngest one is mine for sure, looks like my baby photos, can't deny her. The older two I sometimes have serious doubts about. My first two were born in a strange country where I didn't speak the language, so they might have even told me about the mix up but I wouldn't have understood anyway  :(
« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 05:46:49 AM by Starfish »

Offline TheFlyingLemon

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
So interesting to read peoples battles to get their children to like U2.

daveyg

hehehehehe I wouldnt call mine a battle as such. We have a spare room at home where our PC is. Known in my house as the "computer room" although the actual PC takes only one corner of the room up. It is filled along one wall with DVDs and the other wall with CDs (and numerous musical instruments in the middle!!). The range of music on the CDs runs from anything from classical right up to AC/DC & all belong to my sons, me and my wife, and although there's a full and complete U2 "section", it is only a small proportion of the full selection (any music history student, feel free to browse through our mini music library!!). Despite this, we do occasionally get requests from the younger kids for "The U2ers" as they call them.

In fact, they've all been brought up with such a mix of music, they do occasionally add AHA lyrics to "The U2ers" songs when Im playing them in the car....... Or they play the "name the album" game on longer car journeys and guffaw at each other if they get "the U2ers" album wrong. Im biting my lip from gigling when I have to give the "stop fighting" speech when driving!
« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 04:24:01 AM by daveyg »