Author Topic: New U2 Film?  (Read 4266 times)

Offline alliep76

• Babyface
New U2 Film?
« on: November 19, 2008, 06:46:23 AM »
My local IMAX theather just posted this listing on their website:

U2@D3: Opening this fall

DThe DDD will rock with U2! This new, much-anticipated, music entertainment show features one of the greatest bands of the last two decades. U2 is an immersive digital experience, offering rich computer renderings and abstract visuals choreographed to the band's award-winning music.

Has anyone heard about this?

mariamontreal

Re: New U2 Film?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2008, 07:28:51 AM »
Been there and saw it , you must be talking about U23D Imax Movie , perhaps in your part of the world it is  just surfacing now. This movie originally came out last year and is probably still playing in certain cities around the world. If this is not what you are talking about then I have no idea about any other Imax movie .

Offline alliep76

• Babyface
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2008, 07:38:02 AM »
I definitely isn't U23D.  The poster artwork is different and it appears to actually be in the planetarium instead of the IMAX theater.  Maybe it is some type of laser show?

Offline Mirai

• Babyface
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2008, 09:05:21 AM »
Most films have multiple posters, and can change quite drastically from region to region.

If it's at a planetarium, it could just be a special showing of the movie.

Offline God, Part II

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Rock and roll doggie!!!
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2008, 10:36:55 AM »
I don't think we're paying close enough attention to what alliep76 wrote--"an immersive digital experience, offering rich computer renderings and abstract visuals choreographed to the band's award-winning music".  That is NOT U2 3D.  However, I see no reference to this film at imdb.com, which leads me to think it may not be an official, band-sanctioned release.

Offline emalvick

• Desert Rose
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2008, 11:50:57 AM »
I think this is just one of those things planetariums do setting the music of a band to lazers, lights, etc... It used to be real common in my area to see this for Pink Floyd.  However, on a recent trip to Boston, I noticed the local planetarium there had a U2 show of something similar.

Offline Joe90usa

• Airborne Ranger
  • Dragons Rule! Catfish Drool.
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2008, 12:54:35 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I think this is just one of those things planetariums do setting the music of a band to lazers, lights, etc... It used to be real common in my area to see this for Pink Floyd.  However, on a recent trip to Boston, I noticed the local planetarium there had a U2 show of something similar.

Bingo.  It's lasers set to U2's music. 

Offline Mirai

• Babyface
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2008, 10:01:44 PM »
I don't think we're paying close enough attention to what alliep76 wrote--"an immersive digital experience, offering rich computer renderings and abstract visuals choreographed to the band's award-winning music".  That is NOT U2 3D.  However, I see no reference to this film at imdb.com, which leads me to think it may not be an official, band-sanctioned release.

Everything he said applies 100% to U23D. It isn't U23D, but you could describe U23D in the exact same way.

Offline Joe90usa

• Airborne Ranger
  • Dragons Rule! Catfish Drool.
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2008, 11:34:00 PM »

Everything he said applies 100% to U23D. It isn't U23D, but you could describe U23D in the exact same way.

That's true but if it was U23D that was being promoted, the promotion would heavily mention seeing the band in concert and the immersive experience of being there. Unless there is more to the advertisement than what was quoted here, I feel very comfortable that this is a laser show set to the band's music.

Offline alliep76

• Babyface
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2008, 01:25:52 PM »
Just thought I would post an update about U2@D3.  A friend and I went to see it last night, and I am not quite sure how to describe the experience.  She has been to laser shows before and said that this show was very different from those.  It is digital images projected onto the dome of a planetarium.  If you have problems with motion sickness, just avoid this thing all together.  None of the images really seemed to match up to the song lyrics and it often felt like we were watching a spirograph on acid.  Alas, it was only $5.00 and I got to hear U2 music played really loud for 45 minutes.  It was definitely an experience, but not one that I would necessarily recommend.  If anyone else is in the Tallahassee area or wherever else they may be showing this thing, let me know if you see it.  I desperately want someone to explain to me the dolphin with wings during Elevation.   

Offline Dark Angel

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • Oh HAI
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2008, 07:03:21 AM »
the dolphin with wings during Elevation.   

That sounds like one of my hallucinations...

I am joking!  :D