Author Topic: How Are They Going to... Do This?  (Read 1735 times)

Offline hawkmoon269

• Stranger in a Strange Land
How Are They Going to... Do This?
« on: March 11, 2009, 03:35:00 PM »
I know that U2 can pretty much do ANYTHING live, but I'm wondering how some of the songs from No Line are going to translate into live tracks. There's a lot of synth stuff and string stuff... Like the piano in Breathe, or the organ/strings in Moment of Surrender. Both are essential to the song, and I hate when bands either do a pre recorded track or do what U2 did with City of Blinding lights and have someone stand backstage and play it that you can't even see. There's a decent amount of pretty essential rhythm guitar in some songs too, Stand Up Comedy for instance.

I would love to see Bono pick up his guitar again, or play the piano parts. Or something. Really I wouldn't mind if they brought someone onstage with them. For background stuff. And a string group would be cool too.

Offline beau99

• Stateless
Re: How Are They Going to... Do This?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 03:54:02 PM »
U2 has been using backing tracks since 1984. It's not going to change.

Offline JasontheJedi

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 04:00:27 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I know that U2 can pretty much do ANYTHING live, but I'm wondering how some of the songs from No Line are going to translate into live tracks. There's a lot of synth stuff and string stuff... Like the piano in Breathe, or the organ/strings in Moment of Surrender. Both are essential to the song, and I hate when bands either do a pre recorded track or do what U2 did with City of Blinding lights and have someone stand backstage and play it that you can't even see. There's a decent amount of pretty essential rhythm guitar in some songs too, Stand Up Comedy for instance.

I would love to see Bono pick up his guitar again, or play the piano parts. Or something. Really I wouldn't mind if they brought someone onstage with them. For background stuff. And a string group would be cool too.

Well, they've already played No Line, Magnificent, Crazy Tonight, GOYB, and Breathe live. That's nearly half the album. Also, the strings and synth on this album are no more than plenty of other songs they've played live.

Offline Ricco

• Stateless
  • I was the bad guy who walked out...
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 04:02:29 PM »
I hate it when Bono pretends to play guitar.  He is much better just singing and performing his antics.  I mean he is not a great player and most of it is for show.  Lay it down and play the prerecorded track or have Dallas Schoo do it backstage.

Offline dragmio

• Refugee
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2009, 07:36:44 AM »
I hate when bands (...) do what U2 did with City of Blinding lights and have someone stand backstage and play it that you can't even see.

Having hidden musicians is really lame, but the "four men band that's been together since highschool" thing is so central to their image and popularity that I suppose executives fear U2 will lose audience if some other musicians are seen on stage with them.

I agree about the string group. It worked heavenly on Original of the Species in Milan. (You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login)

I agree about Bono's guitar, too. He does play the guitar and anyone who listens will hear it (You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login). It's not great, it's maybe not even good but it's essential, and anyone who tried to play a guitar in a band will know why The Edge needs that on some songs. Just strumming a chord once at every first beat can be enough (You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login - notice the comments about Bono "wearing the guitar, not playing it").
Also, on every single video of U2's recording sessions I saw Bono is playing guitar. On Unforgettable Fire sessions he even played bass, quite competently. So, he's putting on a show when he's NOT playing guitar on gigs. Because majority of rock'n'roll audience will rather see someone jump around and shout than listen to him play. Admittedly, Bono is better at jumping around and shouting than playing guitar.

Offline cathalmc

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2009, 01:27:34 PM »

There's even an extra drummer behind some speakers at the end of that clip of Hawkmoon 269 (at about 4 mins 15 secs):

U2 could become an eight piece! Four out front, four out back.

Offline EdgeFest [Zenmaster360]

• Airborne Ranger
  • My blog: mrstheedge.com
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2009, 05:20:04 PM »
Well, they've already played No Line, Magnificent, Crazy Tonight, GOYB, and Breathe live. That's nearly half the album. Also, the strings and synth on this album are no more than plenty of other songs they've played live.

I actually only see them playing these 5 songs from NLOTH which they are currently perfecting and back-catalogue for all the other songs, no?

Offline 1985

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2009, 05:29:59 PM »

I actually only see them playing these 5 songs from NLOTH which they are currently perfecting and back-catalogue for all the other songs, no?

I think we'll see more. Bono said in an interview this week that his favorite song is the last third of the album. Stand Up would be terrific live, and MOS and Unknown have enormous potential (albeit considerable challenges translating).