Author Topic: The Mystery of "Mercy"  (Read 5471 times)

Offline keirdubois

• Refugee
  • Designer-Wordsmith-Rockstar.
The Mystery of "Mercy"
« on: March 11, 2009, 04:35:52 PM »
So I've noticed that people have been going ballistic over this song ever since it was released. It was part of the "Complete U2" iTunes thing, right? Okay, so then for almost five years, "Mercy" has been this supposed great lost unfinished (?) gem.

No U2 fan simply "likes" this song. No, they LOVE it. It's the GREATEST SONG EVER (as per Tim Cunningham's "Crazy Night in Chicago" piece, which prompted this, but no offense to Tim).

Now, I've heard "Mercy" and I don't really like it, but I don't hate it. It's just kind of there—an unfinished and unrefined slab of music. I'm a "Mercy" agnostic, I guess, so to me it seems like being a fan of the song is a total insider's thing, like only a fan's fan's fan can "appreciate it."

Or maybe it's a Christian thing? I don't know—I'm not a Christian, but I'm well-versed in Bono's particular brand of dog-whistling fish-in-the-sand lyricism.

I'm just wondering why people like it so much. Just curious. Well, that and I hate inside jokes. Come on, Mr. Bubble & Squeak—you may enlighten me.

Offline Nagrom99

• Numb
  • I'm 25, trying to stay alive.....
Re: The Mystery of "Mercy"
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 04:37:18 PM »
wow...I had forgotten about Mercy........no one ever mentions it in here.

joegtheog

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 04:39:37 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

ROFL!

I posted on another thread that I love the arrangement, I love the melody, I love the chorus.....but there are quite simply too many verses and it's too long.

Offline evel12314

• Elevated
  • Squeeze out sparks of light.
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 04:50:58 PM »
I'm completely in love with Mercy. It's one of my favorite songs.

When I read that article from Chicago, I almost fainted when Edge said they wanted to play it live. :o

And I'm not Christian...so it's definitely not just a Christian thing.

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2009, 05:11:01 PM »
If they ever play this live I would probably fall over, its an amazing track. Spiritual in every sense of the word, it represents everything that U2 are about

Offline tomwilks

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2009, 05:19:32 PM »

That was good :)

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Child of Grace
  • Don't worry, baby, it'll be alright
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2009, 05:20:24 PM »
So I've noticed that people have been going ballistic over this song ever since it was released. It was part of the "Complete U2" iTunes thing, right? Okay, so then for almost five years, "Mercy" has been this supposed great lost unfinished (?) gem.

Just for the record, it has never been officially released.  It was a demo that Bono let loose about the same time the Complete U2 came out.  
As for why I like it so much, there's a couple reasons.  First off, I love the music in the verses.  Edge's minimalistic guitars are immaculate.  I like the overall vibe of the music.  It's intelligent but icy cold.  I love Bono's lyrics in the verses.  "We're binary code, a 1 and a 0.  You wanted violins and you got Nero."  Just awesome.  I think if they'd tightened up the bridge some and replaced Crazy Tonight or Stand Up Comedy with Mercy, NLOTH could have been a better album.
And for the record, I'm not Christian or religious at all.  I just think it's a brilliant piece of music.

Offline tomwilks

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2009, 05:58:06 PM »

Just for the record, it has never been officially released.  It was a demo that Bono let loose about the same time the Complete U2 came out.  
As for why I like it so much, there's a couple reasons.  First off, I love the music in the verses.  Edge's minimalistic guitars are immaculate.  I like the overall vibe of the music.  It's intelligent but icy cold.  I love Bono's lyrics in the verses.  "We're binary code, a 1 and a 0.  You wanted violins and you got Nero."  Just awesome.  I think if they'd tightened up the bridge some and replaced Crazy Tonight or Stand Up Comedy with Mercy, NLOTH could have been a better album.
And for the record, I'm not Christian or religious at all.  I just think it's a brilliant piece of music.

Bono "let loose"? You mean he accidentally leaked it?

Offline tomwilks

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2009, 06:03:57 PM »

It's intelligent but icy cold.

Maybe that's why it reminded me of Joy Division when I first heard it. When I played it to a Joy Division fan, I got blank stares however.

Offline bw

• Refugee
  • Dreamed that I saw Dali with a supermarket trolley
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2009, 06:19:53 PM »
Like most music, well likely all music, this is a taste thing.

I think "Mercy" is the most moving song they have written since "One". I love the tempo, pace, feel, and lyric. It entered my bloodstream very quickly. When I saw the final songlist for NLOTH, and "Mercy" was nowhere to be seen, I was crushed.

F-ckin Mullen. He killed it.

Offline keirdubois

• Refugee
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2009, 06:52:09 PM »

Yeah, I...don't read the forum much. Sorry.

Offline keirdubois

• Refugee
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2009, 06:53:44 PM »

Just for the record, it has never been officially released.  It was a demo that Bono let loose about the same time the Complete U2 came out. 
As for why I like it so much, there's a couple reasons.  First off, I love the music in the verses.  Edge's minimalistic guitars are immaculate.  I like the overall vibe of the music.  It's intelligent but icy cold.  I love Bono's lyrics in the verses.  "We're binary code, a 1 and a 0.  You wanted violins and you got Nero."  Just awesome.  I think if they'd tightened up the bridge some and replaced Crazy Tonight or Stand Up Comedy with Mercy, NLOTH could have been a better album.

Aha! I knew it! So that's why my mp3 copy of it sounds so awful. :)

Offline keirdubois

• Refugee
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2009, 06:56:05 PM »
Like most music, well likely all music, this is a taste thing.

Indeed. And remember kids, taste is the enemy of art.

Offline aarond

• Party Girl/Boy
  • What no man can own, no man can take.
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2009, 06:58:08 PM »
I am a christian that hates christian music...thats why I love U2. That said...I don't really get the big deal about mercy either. It's not any better than the other songs from the last few albums (note: I love the last 3 albums, but think mercy would not have improved or worsened them...mercy just...is)

InThisHeartland

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2009, 06:59:55 PM »
I am a christian that hates christian music...

I don't know any Christians that like Christian music! How scary is that! How is it still around then?