Author Topic: The Mystery of "Mercy"  (Read 4916 times)

Offline keirdubois

• Refugee
  • Designer-Wordsmith-Rockstar.
Re: The Mystery of "Mercy"
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2009, 07:09:31 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I am a christian that hates christian music...

I don't know any Christians that like Christian music! How scary is that! How is it still around then?

Maybe it works like the books published by Regenry press--the publisher just buys a boatload of them back, and poof! Bestseller!

Offline WTSHNN

• Babyface
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2009, 07:14:02 PM »
No U2 fan simply "likes" this song. No, they LOVE it. It's the GREATEST SONG EVER (as per Tim Cunningham's "Crazy Night in Chicago" piece, which prompted this, but no offense to Tim).

No offense taken at all.  That song became a big part of my life a few years back and the unconnected yet totally related one-liners are part of the reason I like that song "you want violins, and you got nero."  I'm pretty sure any person who reads this can relate that line to a relationship they have had.  

To me the big part of why I like the song is because it is just a continual building presence.  Yet the layers can always be stripped down to the basics.  It reminds me of Bad for that reason.  

It is a song that definitely requires the windows be rolled down, the stereo cranked and not a stop light in sight...

Give it another shot, take away all the hype you know behind it and just let yourself kind of lose it all.  

Thanks
-Tim

Offline keirdubois

• Refugee
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2009, 07:21:02 PM »
No U2 fan simply "likes" this song. No, they LOVE it. It's the GREATEST SONG EVER (as per Tim Cunningham's "Crazy Night in Chicago" piece, which prompted this, but no offense to Tim).

No offense taken at all.  That song became a big part of my life a few years back and the unconnected yet totally related one-liners are part of the reason I like that song "you want violins, and you got nero."  I'm pretty sure any person who reads this can relate that line to a relationship they have had. 

To me the big part of why I like the song is because it is just a continual building presence.  Yet the layers can always be stripped down to the basics.  It reminds me of Bad for that reason. 

It is a song that definitely requires the windows be rolled down, the stereo cranked and not a stop light in sight...

Give it another shot, take away all the hype you know behind it and just let yourself kind of lose it all. 

Thanks
-Tim

Yeah, I see now that the Nero quip is a zinger for sure. Mr Costello would be proud, I think. Thanks for your patience, Tim!

Offline findandgoseek

• Babyface
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2009, 08:04:29 PM »
Tim C.,

I was fortunate to get a copy of Mercy a few years back and it certainly is one of my favorites. Being that Bad is one of my favs, it's no surprise that I like Mercy too. I was disappointed that it didn't make NLOTH but maybe the sister album later this year. But I was PUMPED to read that you plugged it with the Edge. There's hope. I plan to bring a placard to Dublin in July and Boston in Sept and maybe, just maybe, those will be the places Edge was referring to.

Andy F

Offline tomwilks

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2009, 09:50:57 PM »
@u2 did an interesting article on Mercy in 2007:

Offline Songs_Of_Ascension

• Babyface
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2009, 11:48:29 PM »
Wow this song is Beautiful I never heard of it before its simply amazing thanks for mentioning this  ;D

Offline dragmio

• Refugee
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2009, 04:10:22 AM »
F-ckin Mullen.

There are some interesting "fans" here. Even more insteresting are those "fans" who go about stealing works in progress and then b**** about that work not being finished and published. It serves you right. I wish "Mercy" never gets published and played live, so maybe someone will learn a lesson. Fortunately U2 has more than enough great songs to fill numerous concerts setlists without repeating a single one. And to all you "fans", at least try to wait until a song is finished.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 05:27:22 AM by dragmio »

Offline Loose Electricity

• Wanderer
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2009, 08:57:54 AM »
In my opinion, Mercy in it's current state is just a B-side. It has great potential, if reworked, to be on of u2's greatest songs.
Here's how it could be fixed.
MAKE IT SHORTER. IT'S TOO LONG. make it shorter by cutting out the first minute. The first minute is boring and annoying. After that it is a song that i enjoyed. Then it just needs a little bit of tweeking and maybe a few new ideas. It could be Great!

Offline bw

• Refugee
  • Dreamed that I saw Dali with a supermarket trolley
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2009, 09:21:50 AM »
Dragmio - perhaps I should have added a smile face or wink after my remark. Regardless, a fan is entitled to lodge criticism about directions the band takes. If that seems odd to you, well, welcome to earth.

Legend has it that Larry lead the charge in keeping "Mecy" off HTDAAB. And yes, that irritates me because I really think "Mercy" is a winner and because Larry has developed this reputation - rightly or wrongly - as being the member who can apply the breaks to material. They may do it tongue in cheek, but I've seen quite a few interviews where Bono and Edge come very close to saying the same thing.

I know U2 is designed to be equal parts in decision making (music, specifically...McGuiness shares more equally in the proceeds) and profits, but I think Larry has the most pull in the band.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 09:24:45 AM by bw »

Offline keirdubois

• Refugee
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2009, 09:53:50 AM »
F-ckin Mullen.

There are some interesting "fans" here. Even more insteresting are those "fans" who go about stealing works in progress and then b**** about that work not being finished and published. It serves you right. I wish "Mercy" never gets published and played live, so maybe someone will learn a lesson. Fortunately U2 has more than enough great songs to fill numerous concerts setlists without repeating a single one. And to all you "fans", at least try to wait until a song is finished.

I'm sorry that I'll never be as big a "fan" as you. I may be a bigger fan, though.

Offline aarond

• Party Girl/Boy
  • What no man can own, no man can take.
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2009, 10:28:23 AM »
Not really sure why we are debating fanhood in a thread about an unreleased song...

Offline keirdubois

• Refugee
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2009, 10:54:14 AM »
Not really sure why we are debating fanhood in a thread about an unreleased song...

I wasn't really debating. I was trying to point out the silly futility of it, but you did that better. Sorry.

Offline aarond

• Party Girl/Boy
  • What no man can own, no man can take.
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2009, 10:59:11 AM »
Yeah, I wasn't calling anybody out...just encouraging the thread to get back on track. As somebody who is indifferent to mercy, I like to find out why people have fallen in love with it. Although nobody seems to have the same taste, even all of us being U2 fans.

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Child of Grace
  • Don't worry, baby, it'll be alright
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2009, 01:10:05 PM »
Bono "let loose"? You mean he accidentally leaked it?

Well, he leaked it, but I don't think it was on accident.

Offline dragmio

• Refugee
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2009, 01:25:06 PM »
I'm sorry that I'll never be as big a "fan" as you. I may be a bigger fan, though.

OK. Then I'll start swearing band members to become a fan...