Author Topic: The Mystery of "Mercy"  (Read 4914 times)

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Child of Grace
  • Don't worry, baby, it'll be alright
Re: The Mystery of "Mercy"
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2009, 01:29:35 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

There are some interesting "fans" here. Even more insteresting are those "fans" who go about stealing works in progress and then b**** about that work not being finished and published. It serves you right. I wish "Mercy" never gets published and played live, so maybe someone will learn a lesson. Fortunately U2 has more than enough great songs to fill numerous concerts setlists without repeating a single one. And to all you "fans", at least try to wait until a song is finished.

No one stole it.  Bono gave the demo out himself.  If I remember correctly, he gave it to some fans.  Or are the folks that have the demo of Electrical Storm that Bono handed out theives as well?  Yeesh.

jimyjazz

« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2009, 02:08:27 PM »
So I've noticed that people have been going ballistic over this song ever since it was released. It was part of the "Complete U2" iTunes thing, right? Okay, so then for almost five years, "Mercy" has been this supposed great lost unfinished (?) gem.

No U2 fan simply "likes" this song. No, they LOVE it. It's the GREATEST SONG EVER (as per Tim Cunningham's "Crazy Night in Chicago" piece, which prompted this, but no offense to Tim).

Now, I've heard "Mercy" and I don't really like it, but I don't hate it. It's just kind of there—an unfinished and unrefined slab of music. I'm a "Mercy" agnostic, I guess, so to me it seems like being a fan of the song is a total insider's thing, like only a fan's fan's fan can "appreciate it."

Or maybe it's a Christian thing? I don't know—I'm not a Christian, but I'm well-versed in Bono's particular brand of dog-whistling fish-in-the-sand lyricism.

I'm just wondering why people like it so much. Just curious. Well, that and I hate inside jokes. Come on, Mr. Bubble & Squeak—you may enlighten me.

I am not a Christian either but I love this song.  It's the music that gets me; it's really intense.  The lyrics are iffy, but i like the vocals too.

Offline dragmio

• Refugee
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2009, 02:39:45 PM »
No one stole it.  Bono gave the demo out himself.  If I remember correctly, he gave it to some fans.  Or are the folks that have the demo of Electrical Storm that Bono handed out theives as well?  Yeesh.

I suppose he also handed out the lyrics for October as a present, as well as Achtung Baby sessions demo tapes...

Offline findandgoseek

• Babyface
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2009, 02:48:41 PM »
btw, jane's addiction "superhero" and mercy, to me, have a similar guitar opening. i love mercy for what it is, finished or unfinished. i appreciate the lyrics in this song, more than i can say for most of of the lyrics on NLOTH. i like the extended length. whether they release it doesn't really matter, i just want to hear them do it live.

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Child of Grace
« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2009, 03:57:01 PM »

I suppose he also handed out the lyrics for October as a present, as well as Achtung Baby sessions demo tapes...

No, fans have asked him about it and he has said that he let it out.  Just like he blasted tracks for both Atomic Bomb and NLOTH out of his house in France.  Just like he gave the Electrical Storm demo to the dj for play.  If the man says he did it and you still don't believe it, there's not much hope.

Offline bw

• Refugee
  • Dreamed that I saw Dali with a supermarket trolley
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2009, 05:46:00 PM »
Bono loves "Mercy". I remember reading in Blender how disappointed he was that the band - Chief Justice Mullen - had forced the song to be scratched. I wonder if, perhaps, he had an ulterior motive to show the fans what they were missing with the intentional release.

What song on HTDAAB did "Mercy" not eclipse? I'd have a hard time having people argue with a straight face that "Mercy" was less qualified than "One Step Closer" or "Man and a Woman"... 

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Child of Grace
« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2009, 11:17:37 PM »
I do think it wouldn't have fit as well on Atomic Bomb.  That album was a bit too straightforward for it.  Like I've said, I think it would have been a perfect fit on Horizon, though.

Offline findandgoseek

• Babyface
« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2009, 07:41:04 AM »
binary code, a 1 and 0...at least it would have fit with the other technology lingo on NLOTH.  :P

Offline latindrummer2112

• Refugee
  • my gig review blog ->latindrummer.wordpress.com
« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2009, 01:32:26 AM »
I've always liked this track. It's an unpolished gem, could definitely use some work. And to me there's nothing wrong with the length, I wouldn't mind if it was longer.

Anyone else make the connection between Mercy and Dreams by The Cranberries?

Offline dragmio

• Refugee
« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2009, 03:02:01 AM »
If the man says he did it and you still don't believe it, there's not much hope.

I didn't hear him say it. I only heard you say that he said it. :)

Anyway, if you're such a good source of information, could you corroborate this for me You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Child of Grace
« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2009, 11:30:35 AM »
What are you gonna pay me to be your fact checker?  Minimum $125/hour plus per diem and travel.  Also, if you say that anything I report back to you is a lie just because I didn't bring Bono right in front of you to tell it to you, I get an immediate $10,000 severance.

Offline Thunder Peel

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2009, 02:17:33 PM »
Mercy is a great song and I really hope it shows up in some official capacity, whether on an album, as a b-side, or even on the upcoming tour DVD. It's too good to simply be set aside.

Offline rockin_the_peg

• Babyface
« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2009, 03:11:37 PM »
I love that this song is unpolished and a little unconventional.  I think it would have been a great opening track for HTDAAB and that's where it's going to stay in my iTunes until it gets an official release somewhere.  It definately would have added to that album IMO.

Offline dragmio

• Refugee
« Reply #43 on: March 14, 2009, 03:44:10 PM »
What are you gonna pay me to be your fact checker?  Minimum $125/hour plus per diem and travel.  Also, if you say that anything I report back to you is a lie just because I didn't bring Bono right in front of you to tell it to you, I get an immediate $10,000 severance.

OK. :)
Now speak!  :P

Offline fresno dave

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • "You wanted violins.." about.me/davewainscott
« Reply #44 on: July 26, 2019, 07:40:16 PM »
If they ever play this live I would probably fall over, its an amazing track. Spiritual in every sense of the word, it represents everything that U2 are about
Now that they HAVE played it live, curious about your thoughts?