Author Topic: The Mystery of "Mercy"  (Read 5469 times)

Offline Argo

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down
Re: The Mystery of "Mercy"
« Reply #45 on: August 02, 2019, 09:42:02 AM »
Gosh, thatís quite a bump after 10 years. I really like the original Mercy. The re-worked version that they played live was much inferior to the original. The original is a bit long and could be tightened up but canít believe they left it off Bomb.

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #46 on: August 05, 2019, 12:59:59 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Mercy is a great song and I really hope it shows up in some official capacity, whether on an album, as a b-side, or even on the upcoming tour DVD. It's too good to simply be set aside.

Not going to happen!

Offline Albono

• Child of Grace
« Reply #47 on: August 05, 2019, 10:42:32 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Gosh, thatís quite a bump after 10 years.

Talk about a thread being revived!

Anyway, I'm guessing we'll see the full, realized version of Mercy on "Songs of Ascent".
If we ever get to hear the full, realized album that Bono promised 10 years ago  ::)

Offline Argo

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down
« Reply #48 on: September 08, 2019, 11:43:49 PM »
I'd bet a lot of money that Songs of Ascent never sees the light of day (at least officially). I can imagine the version of Mercy they played on 360 Tour appearing on a B sides CD to the next greatest hits or a fan club release at some point but I just don't see it ever being part of a main album.

Offline World71R

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • It's no secret ambition bites the nails of success
« Reply #49 on: September 19, 2019, 03:05:29 PM »
Mercy was such a missed opportunity to capitalize on the success of Beautiful Day while cultivating something new for them in the new millennium. Vertigo was good and fit well with the garage rock thing at the time, but Mercy just has more of a lasting impact and is one of the best U2 songs of the 2000s (the bootleg version not the live one though).