Author Topic: Crazy in Chicago  (Read 1864 times)

Offline WTSHNN

• Babyface
Crazy in Chicago
« on: March 11, 2009, 07:58:10 PM »
Hi all,

I wanted to thank Matt and @U2 for posting my write up about the Chicago radio take over.  I was really excited to be able to attend and to see U2 in such a laid back setting. 

Due to time and space constraints as well as my own memory failing me, a lot of what happened last night was not included in the news post.  So I thought I'd throw some of the things here for everyone to see. 

-One of the questions posed to the band last night was "why did you never play Red Hill Mining Town" and Edge jumped in and said it was his favorite U2 song.  Bono then said "do you want to hear the secret to Red Hill Mining Town" to which the entire audience does the obligatory cheer.  He said, the song was originally written for Joe Cocker and he then proceeded to do an impression of Joe Cocker's raspy voice singing "I'm hanging on....You're all that's left to hold onto."  He was cut off as they came back from the commercial break.

-A younger woman in the front row asked Bono what the inspiration behind White as Snow.  The question was phrased amazingly well with lots of praise that Bono asked her "how long have you been working for our organization" and told her she "would go far with them."

-Someone asked about the inspiration behind "Magnificent" and Bono cited a German song, that I believe is called "Magnifico" or at least is pronounced that way.

-When asked what his favorite U2 song is Larry replied "I don't think we've written it yet."  Bono took mock offense but agreed, the best is yet to come.

-Edge selected a Waterboys song and a debate was had onstage as to the current status of the band and its members.  Adam set the group straight by stating that someone from the group was still putting out records he recorded in his bedroom.

-Shirley requested someone ask a question specific to the new album and the question was actually about the upcoming Spiderman musical.  Edge spoke about the music they have been working on, commenting that it was music they are very excited about.  Bono then spoke about seeing Sir Andrew Lloyd Weber at a songwriter's awards ceremony commenting on the rock stars were leaving him in a field all to himself.  However, Bono's impression, accent and all was something that had the entire audience laughing.

The band really seemed to be enjoying themselves, even Larry.  It was a great time and just another one of a long list of U2 things I've been able to see and enjoy. 

See you on the lakefront in September!

-Tim

Offline julesport

• Holy Joe
  • Free yourself to be yourself...
Re: Crazy in Chicago
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 09:03:28 PM »
Lovely article Tim.....Thank you so much for sharing.

Offline jwhitney

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2009, 11:50:06 AM »
I should've known you would find a way in, Tim! 

Well done (especially the question for the Edge about "Mercy"), and great report. I look forward to seeing you somewhere inside Soldier Field.

Freeman

Offline WTSHNN

• Babyface
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2009, 09:31:03 AM »
FREEMAN!!!! 

Good to see you!

I remembered a few questions for the band. 

One was asking Larry if he was ever going to get married. 

Another asked Bono where he comes up with the "extra lyrics" for songs like One and With or Without You.  Bono says he just makes them up usually because he can't remember the real lyrics. 

A woman asked for advice as she was American married to an Irishman.  Bono kept trying to get Adam to answer.  Edge said the key is to know all about sports, know when the basketball games are, the baseball games, etc.