Author Topic: Will U2 Add US Dates?  (Read 4473 times)

Offline jfp612

• Wanderer
Will U2 Add US Dates?
« on: March 12, 2009, 05:20:53 PM »
Hello All,
Does anyone know if U2 plan to add more US dates?  When they played Foxborough MA for Popmart they did two shows.  They are scheduled for Sunday 9/20 in MA, and not until 9/24 in NY. 

Does anyone think they will add shows in MA or NY.  I'd like to know so I can split up my presale order to see multiple shows.

Thanks,
JFP 

Offline Anthony02

• Running to Stand Still
  • And I know that the tide is turning 'round....
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2009, 05:49:27 PM »
IMO they will add one show to each big city. If they sell out fast enough. Like herd in Chicago, I would think they would add one more nite. But stadium is different than areanas so u never know.

Offline monte

• Babyface
Re: Will U2 Add US Dates?
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2009, 12:04:50 AM »
Yes,  it will be more dates, I can´t imagine one concert at Chicago, East Rutherford, Boston, Los Angeles and Toronto. In fact, Chicago and East Rutherford maybe the only cities with three dates...

Offline m2

• Administrator
  • Desert Rose
  • I love the smell of fresh forum killspam.
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2009, 12:06:51 AM »
But, as we explained in the You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login, they usually add the second date and put tickets on sale right away, with no presale.

Offline macphisto96

• Stateless
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2009, 09:46:23 AM »
I know people who work with the Bucs down here in Tampa and they do have the option on an extra night at the stadium with extra time to disassemble the setup.  Since this will be their only show this year in Florida I think they are open to adding a second night if the first one sells out well before the show in October.  If it is sold out by June or July they probably will announce another show.

My guess is that they will have two stage setups to use throughout the tour so when one show ends that will move to the show after the next one.

I'd also be willing to wager that with so few cities o the tour that in most of them they have the option to add a second show.

Offline EdgeFest [Zenmaster360]

• Airborne Ranger
  • My blog: mrstheedge.com
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2009, 11:38:53 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I know people who work with the Bucs down here in Tampa...

Stab in the dark, macphisto, but you have no idea which month the Bills are playing the Panthers in Charlotte, do you?  Any idea whatsoever?  (see my dilemma in the "Real World" forum -> "I need to vent" thread).

Offline Joe90usa

• Airborne Ranger
  • Dragons Rule! Catfish Drool.
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2009, 01:38:01 PM »

Stab in the dark, macphisto, but you have no idea which month the Bills are playing the Panthers in Charlotte, do you?  Any idea whatsoever?  (see my dilemma in the "Real World" forum -> "I need to vent" thread).

The NFL schedule is still being worked on and has not been released.

Offline macphisto96

• Stateless
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2009, 02:13:02 PM »

Wish I could help but the Bucs don't even know the dates of their own schedule yet.  The U2 stuff was booked prior to the NFL completing the schedule intentionally.  The Bucs had to tell the NFL that the stadium was unavailable on October 11. 

I find it odd that U2 didn't schedule for Charlotte.  That means to me that the Panthers were unwilling to allow U2 to schedule.  The Bucs really don't have a choice before their schedule is announced because the Tampa Sports Authority completely controls scheduling, so the Bucs really had no choice but to say the stadium was booked. 

I wouldn't be surprised to see  few shows added after the NFL schedule is announced.  The Dolphins didn't want to book their stadium so late from what I understand and they own it outright, but if the Dolphins are not there the week U2 is down here then I could see the band possibly booking the stadium.  I'd selfishly prefer a second Tampa show or them playing the Citrus Bowl in Orlando (or, even better, Ben Hill Griffin in Gainesville).  My guess is that they are planning on playing some of the missed cities next year. rumored for the summer.  The Bucs have heard that the band also has a tentative booking here again next year, but the TSA has no firm date. 

I'm just guessing on this, but I think they may return to cities that sell out or sell out quickly.  Tampa sold very quickly for the last two tours after a horrible showing for POPMart (only 20,000).  They could have easily sold out a second night in Tampa for both of the last two tours and that was with multiple Miami shows.  Florida is the fourth most populous state in the country and a popular vacation destination for Americans and internationals, so multiple shows down here make a lot of sense. 

I've thought for a long time that Orlando would be a wise place to either stop or start a tour because of it's status as a vacation destination.  Fans from around the world could converge to see U2 while also enjoying Disney, Universal, SeaWorld, Daytona, etc.  That might be a possibility after the Magic's new, bigger arena is built, but the Citrus Bowl can seat 75,000 in this 360 configuration.

I have family in Raleigh and friends in Atlanta.  If you want to buy tickets before the schedule comes out and choose not to go then I'd be happy to buy your tix off you :) .  I think it largely depends if you want to invest in two shows just in case. 

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2009, 04:05:47 PM »
Wish I could help but the Bucs don't even know the dates of their own schedule yet.  The U2 stuff was booked prior to the NFL completing the schedule intentionally.  The Bucs had to tell the NFL that the stadium was unavailable on October 11.

Well, that kind of helps, knowing that U2 preceeded NFL and my hands are definitely tied because of that.  And yeah, I knew it wasn't out yet "officially" but thought someone might have some inside info.

I've had a couple of people tell me they'd take my tickets for Atlanta/Raleigh from me if I didn't need them, so I might just buy for all 3 concerts (the NC/GA dates on regular onsale I guess as I still hope to save my presale code for a second Vancouver date or something)....

Offline macphisto96

• Stateless
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2009, 06:36:55 PM »

Well, that kind of helps, knowing that U2 preceeded NFL and my hands are definitely tied because of that.  And yeah, I knew it wasn't out yet "officially" but thought someone might have some inside info.

I've had a couple of people tell me they'd take my tickets for Atlanta/Raleigh from me if I didn't need them, so I might just buy for all 3 concerts (the NC/GA dates on regular onsale I guess as I still hope to save my presale code for a second Vancouver date or something)....

The dates would have to leak from the NFL office.  They don't share much about schedule dates with the teams until less than a week before the announcement.  The teams can inform the NFL of any dates where their venue is unavailable up until a few weeks before the release of the schedule. 

It's possible the dates could be given to the teams just shortly before the sales.  If I hear anything I'll be sure to let you know.  A good friend of mine also owns a video production company out in Kansas City.  He does the video work for the Bucs (and several other teams, not sure if the Panthers are on the list), so he has some access to the schedules earlier than other because they let him know way ahead of time so he can prepared CG animation, etc for those games well ahead of time. 

If I get anything from any source I will let you know.  I'll make an effort to be sure they let me know if they do know anything.  The Bucs are pretty likely to get access to Carolina's schedule because they're in the same division.

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2009, 06:55:40 PM »
If I get anything from any source I will let you know.  I'll make an effort to be sure they let me know if they do know anything.  The Bucs are pretty likely to get access to Carolina's schedule because they're in the same division.

That is AMAZING.  I would appreciate ANYTHING, even knowing which month it would be in would help me immensely - it's only the Bills/Panthers game I would need to know about.  I expect it to be out near April 15 or so given the last few years, we're talking like 10-11 days later than tickets for U2 go on sale so it's so close it's horrible not to know.  Let me know if you hear anything and it will be SO much appreciated I can't even tell you - just PM me ;)

Offline macmango

• Stateless
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2009, 09:51:37 PM »
I do not believe they will ever play more than one stadium in Florida (during the same leg).  Popmart did not do well in Florida.

Offline macphisto96

• Stateless
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2009, 08:11:13 AM »
I do not believe they will ever play more than one stadium in Florida (during the same leg).  Popmart did not do well in Florida.

Actually POPMart did quite well in Miami and not so much in Jacksonville and Tampa.  But also remember that POPMart was U2 at their least popular since their early days here in the States.  Many old school U2 fans decided to sit that tour out.  The album was poorly promoted due to the late finish date and it didn't connect with a lot of the non-hardcore fans.

Things have changed.  ATYCLB and Bomb, no matter what you think of them, did expand their fanbase and since then they've become a much bigger event.  Florida has also grown quite a bit over the past 12 years.  Over 18 million people live down here, at least four million more than during POPMart. 

I think the Tampa show will sell out and it will sell out fairly quickly.  That'll lead to possibly another Tampa show and maybe one down in Miami as well being added.  I'd love them to play Orlando as well but since they have done that in years (War tour in 1983). 

And if I recall for POPMart, most tickets were $65+ for that tour in 1997.  I know my ticket at the 50 yard line cost about that much.  Outside of the expensive seats, I think this tour is actually cheaper.  It was $65 to get on the floor and now it is $55 for a dollar that is worth less than it was 12 years ago.  $65 in 1997 money is about $85 in 2009 money.